SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Forever Black

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  shurgen 
#1 ·
The black trim on my 04 R has started to fade, and the rear bumper trim below the trunk lid has started to "zebra". Forever Black was recommended to me in my first post here, and I just wanted to ask who else has used it here, what's the longevity of the treatment, and would one kit (cleaner & dye") be enough?

TIA

#2 ·
1 bottle should be enough.

I didn't use forever black personally but I instead used liquid shoe polish (kiwi) for the side & front trim and removed the rear piece off the car to do that one. Because of how big the rear piece is, I was afraid of brush/sponge strokes, so I opened the bottle and poured over the whole thing heavily and smooth it out with a terry towel to ensure no stroke marks at all, let sit for 2 days in the sun/outside. $8 for 2 bottles of Kiwi liquid shoe polish.

#3 ·
Forever black is the one I'd recommend, I've tried other brands that just do not last, the forever black starts to slowly come off after 2-3 years. One bottle lasted me on three cars two coats each, including 04 R with bunch of plastic trim to cover, still have some left.

#10 ·
You must have not cleaned the surface well before applying forever black.

#5 ·
I do FB about twice a year and have no trouble, usually when I reapply it doesn't even look that bad beforehand. The FL sun isn't kind to rubber or vinyl trim and FB has been a lifesaver. I'm about halfway down on my first bottle after 3 years or so. I also cover the windshield wiper tray and load bars in it as well.

#6 ·
My 04 R was looking the same as you described. I gave FB a try and it seems to work well. The trim is now black and I really like the look. Block out some time to apply it and you can do it without masking. If you get some on the bumper or painted area, alcohol works great to remove it.
I'm sold on it. I do have to do another coat on the rear bumper trim under the trunk lid as it was very faded.

#8 ·
Showroomnew.com also works well and is a dye.

#9 ·
#11 ·
I used Kiwi shoe polish, but I apparently didn't get the memo about the liquid part. I used the kid that's a paste and it worked reasonably well, although you have to be careful to avoid streaking and brush marks. If you leave it on too long before wiping off the excess, you need to reapply until it looks consistent.

#13 ·
I would steer clear of the trim dressings like Forever Black, etc. And get the trim matched with the correct SEM paint color, use bumper coating and re-coat them entirely. This also gives you the option to use body color. The trims are easily removable on the 04s (rear included). Forever Black is not a permanent and it only masks the damage caused by UV drying out the plastics.

#16 ·
Zip Wax is a combination of soap and wax, so the wax in it is probably the culprit to your early fading. Go with a regular, plain ol' soap and you'll probably see improved results.

#19 ·
I used forever black on my '95 850. Made a world of difference and is still what I consider one of the best things I did to that car. Mine lasted 1 year before I got rid of the car but even after a year I do not feel there was a necessity for a recoat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.