1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'15.5 Volvo V60 Cross Country
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From today's Automotive News....

Ford will build Volvos in China
Ford Motor Co. will start assembling the Volvo S40 mid-sized sedan in China during the last week of April, supplier sources say. The car will be the first Volvo model assembled in China. story
Published: 6:00 AM, ET, 3/13/06

Rick

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: Ford to Build Volvos in China (asthenia)

Could say sonething else here. But I will be nice(and not start a riot) and say lets hope so. And very much the idea i think they were going for. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Re: Ford to Build Volvos in China (Alex960)

Maybe this is Ford/Volvo's way of beating BMW/Audi/VW to the marketplace.....good move on their part....keep the production up and the $$ turning! It helps us all!

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Re: Ford to Build Volvos in China (Nato740)

What does the S40 compete there with Euro?

NATO.....

I would think the S40 segment would include just about ALL the European automakrs...maybe not MB big sedans/...but certainly VW/Audi/Peugot/etc.........
China is predicted to be the #1 volume sales market by 2015....so get there now and get a dealer network and market image established.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: Ford to Build Volvos in China (universityvolvoOSD)

Oh I understadn what you say Bob. But was wondering jsut what HE has info on as to "the leading selling car in china" comment. His comment leads one to beleive there are stats and that the S40 sells against something to make it the best selling in china? SOOOOO what is it he is baseing his on. That was my question simpley. Can not be the best if nothing else is sold there yet, no? And can be the best if the accountants and bean counters use no other really good or built well cars to compare it too. OR at the very least best selling against a YUGO? Need info not assumtions. Hell Dodge builds NEONS there for christ sake now! See my point.
Other wise it is total heresay and conjecture. If you sell ten CAMRYS and ten ACCORDS and then sell eleven S40 you are the best.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

I think you misunderstood my post- I said that the "S40 is one of Ford's best selling luxury models in China." I never said it was the top selling car in the entire market. I meant that among the luxury cars that Ford sells in China, the S40 was one of the top luxury cars sold by Ford.

Among the PAG groups- Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo- the S40 was one of their top selling models.

This is what I meant to say:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories...shtml

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: Ford to Build Volvos in China (eurotrash)

AHHH now the story line makes more sense. It is a outtake from a CBS news release. Ok then, I beleive. As we all know that CBS is number one in getting the facts for stories.
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Nato740 »
AHHH now the story line makes more sense. It is a outtake from a CBS news release. Ok then, I beleive. As we all know that CBS is number one in getting the facts for stories.

I don't know how you're interpreting my post, whatever. You don't believe me, which is fine. If you're that passionate about this you go look up the facts from relevant sources. And if you find something that disproves what I say, post it here for everybody to get the facts straight rather than dishing out posts attacking CBS.

Oh wait a second, is this is the, "Why CBS sucks thread"?
I'm sorry guys, I thought this was a thread about Ford building Volvos in China!
If the mods could just move my posts over to that thread, that would be fanstastic!
Gee, thanks nato for calling me out on that (he must be a NBC fanboy).
Keep up the good work buddy!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: Ford to Build Volvos in China (eurotrash)

Nope not calling you out. I agreed with you now, and the fact that you only posted what you read. And did not have a better source(as i asked you first post) of info like I thought you might have. I was also not slamming you about CBS. I WAS slamming CBS! and most of the other national news (not good auto dedicated ones other then AW/CD/RT/CR ect) media for thier history of not always getting the facts straight always on a subject totally COLD before printing or broadcasting. THAT is a fact of history, not conjecture. A few of teh rather GOOD to GREAT newscasters have resigned in recent years jsut for that reason. The research depts SUCK! enuf said ok.
If you wish for me to take it further to the next level i will. If you think your going get pissy, and try to trash me on something i did not do. THINK AGAIN.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: Ford to Build Volvos in China (universityvolvoOSD)

Quote, originally posted by universityvolvoOSD »
Maybe this is Ford/Volvo's way of beating BMW/Audi/VW to the marketplace...

They are already there.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/new...A.xml

Quote, originally posted by Reuters UK »
Volvo to begin making cars in China
Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:33 AM GMT11
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

By Kirby Chien

BEIJING (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co.'s Volvo Car Corp. said on Monday it would begin making cars in China this year, a step into the world's third-largest car market that other upmarket automakers took years ago. Chief Executive Fredrik Arp said Volvo would build its S40 sedan at a plant owned by Changan Ford, a Ford joint venture in the southwestern city of Chongqing.

While Volvo conceded it was late in entering a increasingly difficult market where profits margins were shrinking, the company was confident Chinese manufacturing operations would be profitable as early as next year. Volvo said it could reach its Chinese manufacturing target of 10,000 cars a year in 2007, and was working with a number of Changan Ford's local suppliers to meet the government's local content requirements and the company's quality standards.

"We are, after working with (Changan Ford) on this project for over a year, convinced that their factory, working together with our own experts, can produce the quality Volvo requires," Arp told reporters.

"At 10,000 units we will be making money," Alexander Klose, the head of Asia Pacific for Volvo told Reuters.

Changan Ford is a joint venture between the second-largest U.S. car maker and Changan Automobile Co.

Volvo lags entrenched rivals such as Volkswagen's Audi, which has been making expensive cars for years for an increasingly cash-rich and style-conscious Chinese middle class.

Volvo's unit sales in China almost doubled in 2005 to over 4,800 units, and could more than double this year to 10,000. The company also sees significant growth for the foreseeable future.

"There is as good possibility it could double again next year," said Klose.

LAGGING RIVALS

Even with the recent strong growth in China sales, Volvo still lags its global rivals. BMW set up its China factory in 2003 and DaimlerChrysler is building a plant in Beijing that will be able to build 25,000 Mercedes-Benz cars annually. Chinese car sales grew 15 percent in 2004, after almost doubling in 2003, and analysts expect growth of 10 to 15 percent this year.

Even as overall growth slows, global manufacturers are confident China's dynamic economy will continue to produce more customers for higher end cars. "China will probably be the most important car market within five to 10 years in the world," said Arp. "To be an importer only is not a long-term strategy."

Rising competition is also eating into profits, turning a once lucrative market into one where high volume replaces high profits. "The profit margins in this market are not outstanding in any direction," said Klose. "China is becoming a regular market."

After reviewing the China manufacturing operations at the end of next year, Volvo will reassess the market and determine if expanding output -- which could include other models besides the S40 -- is justified. "We will manufacture this car. We'll see how it works. We'll see how we are doing next year," said Klose.
"At the end of next year maybe we'll think about something else.

Ford press release: http://media.ford.com/newsroom...22920

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: Ford to Build Volvos in China (Nato740); Volvo World Media Announcement

http://www.media.volvocars.com/index_fs.asp

20 Mar 2006, IDnr. 783

Volvo Cars starts production of the Volvo S40 in China

The Volvo Car Corporation will start producing cars in China. The new Volvo S40 will be built at Volvo Cars' partner Changan Ford's production plant in Chongqing. Volvo Cars' technical team in Chongqing have worked together with purchasers from Changan Ford to select local suppliers for a number of car parts. The aim is to meet the Chinese government's requirements for local production to its full extent.

"This is an important step forward towards a firmer presence and a brighter future in the Chinese car market. We are convinced that the launch of the S40 produced in China will be successful, both from an industrial point of view as well as from a commercial angle," says Fredrik Arp, President and CEO of Volvo Car Corporation at a press conference in Beijing, China.

Boosts competitiveness
"Local production is the key to remain competitive in China. We are facing a scenario where the import duty is levelling out on 25 percent and our main competitors are already producing their volume models locally," says Fredrik Arp. Volvo Cars has been studying Chinese production possibilities for quite some time - and the demands on a partner have been very high. "A Volvo must be a Volvo car in all aspects, no matter where it is produced. After working with Changan Ford for over a year, we have ensured that their factory, co-operating with our own experts, will meet our high demands on the Volvo quality," says Fredrik Arp. Volvo Cars is aiming for an annual production volume of approximately 10,000 units.

Life in the fast lane
Volvo Cars is moving in the "fast lane" at the moment. Seven new car models will be introduced between 2006 and 2009. The C70 convertible was revealed in Frankfurt last year. It will be launched in China within a year. After that Volvo Cars showed the C30 Design Concept in Detroit in January, paving the way for the real Volvo C30 premiere in Paris in September. A couple of weeks ago, Volvo Cars unveiled a completely new generation of the luxurious S80 sedan. "The all-new S80 is pure Scandinavian Luxury and we are convinced that it will be very successful also in the Chinese market," says Fredrik Arp.

Growing sales in 2005
Volvo Car has had a representation office in Beijing since 1994 and the dealer network has been continuously developed through independent companies.
The Volvo network now includes companies with Volvo representation in 45 cities, including showrooms as well as service facilities. "This expansion has helped growing our sales figures in China. Our sold volume increased with 84 percent last year. Local production will make our position even stronger since we can offer our main volume model to a very competitive price," says Fredrik Arp.

50250/CG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.