1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
Just be warned, our cars have a rear brake dominance. Upgrading the rear brakes make these cars very jittery in the turns.
BUT, that kit you posted looks spot on since it's upgrading the brake disk diameter but keeping the factory caliper.

My friend found Jaguar rotors that fit, had to have them machined down slightly (in thickness). But then made custom brackets. He's running 320s front and back, but with stock calipers in the back, so the balance hasn't been upset. Didn't cost him much...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Interesting. Sounds like he just had to turn the rotors to reduce the thickness. I am open to that option but it would be even better to find an affordable stock rotor from somthing that we wouldn't have to machine each time we want to replace. Can you provide details on the jag rotor he used? I can have the by bracket machined fairly cheaply. The floating rotor pictured above is way over priced IMO.

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
Not sure if there a larger stock rotor that fits our rear no problem. Aside from those expensive BBK kits for the Focus. Considering how long rotors can last, it's not too much of a price to pay for a 320 rear setup. You'll just need to machine a pair of brackets for the calipers.

I'll see if I can find out which rotors he got.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The rotors I used are for a 2005 Jaguar Vandenplas (also 5x108). They are actually 330mm. Had them machined down to 320 (330 would fit if you have 18" wheels, but since I have 17's, I changed them to 320)
Then 1mm shaved off the back side, 3mm shaved off the front side. This will give you the exact offset as the oem rotor. Then I made a bracket to move the caliper 20mm out.
Changed brake fluid to Motul RBF600.
Perfect balance IMO, no fading.....and I brake hard!!!!!(Dragon tested ��)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, great work! Share some pics with us! BTW did you happen to write down the center to center spacing on the caliper bolts? Thread pitch etc.. If I don't have to go measure that would be the icing on the cake. I'm going to 3D model the bracket and share the file here when done. That way others can just adjust as needed for any rotor size.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also does the vanden plas have different rotors than the normal xj6?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, great work! Share some pics with us! BTW did you happen to write down the center to center spacing on the caliper bolts? Thread pitch etc.. If I don't have to go measure that would be the icing on the cake. I'm going to 3D model the bracket and share the file here when done. That way others can just adjust as needed for any rotor size.
I have to look on my old phone. Not sure if I posted pics on c30crew, I'll look later tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also does the vanden plas have different rotors than the normal xj6?
Just realized that the rotors I used are for the 2005 Super V8 instead of the VDP. I know jaguar uses a lot of same brakes across different models, but the Super V8 was the closest to the c30 off set.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FWIW I think it is the same rotor across all models and brands with the chassis. Volvo, ford Mazda.....

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
FWIW I think it is the same rotor across all models and brands with the chassis. Volvo, ford Mazda.....
That's what I thought, just wasn't sure since only Volvo offered an AWD on the C1 platform (excluding the RS).

Volvo and Ford yes
Mazda is different bolt pattern 5x114
The 2014-ford Escape is also using these rotors
Slightly off topic, but there is a thread on here of someone swapping hubs with the Mazda 3. Greatly opened up his options for wheels, might have also opened up his options for brake kits...
Probably still cheaper/easier to go the route you took though.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I am thinking this is what you bought?

The strange thing is that it comes up as vented on some sites and non vented on others. You're not kidding they are CHEAP!! $22 shipped each. Even if I have to pay $40 each to have them machined that's going to be a frigging bargain.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great! Given the larger diameter and the slightly higher velocity rotor outer speed this should very slightly increase the rear bias. Did you notice an improvement in turn in with trail breaking?

Just another question, shouldn't the 320mm size clear the 16" wheels too? That's what is on the front of the AWD models with 320mm rotors and the large caliper.

Oh, BTW I am from Asheville NC. I used to hit The Dragon quite often with my R.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great! Given the larger diameter and the slightly higher velocity rotor outer speed this should very slightly increase the rear bias. Did you notice an improvement in turn in with trail breaking?

Just another question, shouldn't the 320mm size clear the 16" wheels too? That's what is on the front of the AWD models with 320mm rotors and the large caliper.
Don't have 16's, but there's not much clearance with my 17's
Should've came last weekend, could've showed you what a well-balanced C30 can do on the dragon

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
Oh, BTW I am from Asheville NC. I used to hit The Dragon quite often with my R.
You're in Asheville?!?! You need to come to some of these local meets!

Here's a shot of thebelgian's car:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That looks great behind 17's! It looks all peg legged with the stock rotor size in the big wheels.

I'm actually down in Houston for work. Not too long of a trip to Road America ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts