SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ive been wondering why these looked different since i bought the car. now i see they are stamped FoMoCo for ford motor company. is this something the guy who owned the car before did or is this volvo's doing?

they def seem like a beefier caliper than the regular s40 ones so im wondering if they were taken off a mazda speed 3 or focus st or something.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Those look like the standard 320mm caliper for T5 AWD to me.
The S40 2nd gen was developed under Ford so it is more then normal to find parts shared. My old fix rear camber arms had FORD molded on them...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Focus based cars.

All the C30's, S40s, V50s and the current C70 have been built on the old Ford Focus platform so much apart from some engines and gearboxes is Ford sourced.

The new V50 is similarly built on Ford's latest stretched Focus platform, like the new Focus ST.

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had 300mm brakes, and bought 320mm calipers of a focus ST. Install them tomorrow

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Ford Focus ST225 and Volvo P1 cars that have 320mm front calipers share the same brake system that is manufactured by German company ATE.

Rotors shown on the photo in 1st post are ATE PremiumOne rotors - aftermarket version that is better then OEM. Unfortunately, I think ATE doesn't make them any more for our cars in both, 300 and 320mm version. Rear rotors and pads may still be available.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Side Topic - Ford - is Bring a Newer Performance ST : which Ford say won't get the Revo-Knuckels - as those are Too Extensive . lol

Also Ford is Bringing a Newer : RS 350 HP 2.3L wonder If that's going to be a Volvo . De-stroked 2.5L

All Auto Manufactures need to Bring the - Brakes into the 21 st Century.

ps: A Nice Custom Bushing Kit - to Fit - 320mm Caliper would go miles to improve It .

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Make Sure - You - have a Caliper Puck Seal Groove to hold in Dust Shield - I had to reject some do to Missing .

Bottom of Dust shield is held in place : Here It's Missing :

·
Registered
207 Posts
i'm going to check it tomorrow, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
All the C30's, S40s, V50s and the current C70 have been built on the old Ford Focus platform so much apart from some engines and gearboxes is Ford sourced.

The new V50 is similarly built on Ford's latest stretched Focus platform, like the new Focus ST.

Regards, Don.
I'm not sure this is entirely true...
The S40 was developed prior to the 2006 Focus generation. Yes it was developed by FORD owning Volvo so they would used existing parts judge as adequate at the time as most manufacturer do all the time, often relying on outsourced vendors as well like ATE with a lot of re-branding labels, but much of the P1 was a Volvo centric driven initiative which was then further developed by FORD to benefit the focus and Mazda development. In a sens Volvo S40 was the brand new guinea pig :p

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Everybody in auto industry is making soup from the same ingredients (within the same class). Mercedes, Audi, BMW & Volvo are not manufacturing brakes, suspension etc - they all buy from the same vendors. It has nothing to do with ownership except that bigger consortiums get better prices for bigger part commitment orders.. ;)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Same thing I was saying ;) . . . though car manufacturer do ask for custom specifications at times.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Same thing I was saying ;) . . . though car manufacturer do ask for custom specifications at times.
To put some salt into your wound.. If you get it how it works in auto industry then way buying EBC brakes? They don't manufacture high quality OE brakes nor they manufacture race brakes? :D

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Oil, grease and Cosmoline , however, don't just "brush off" as easily. The main problem here is that they get thin with heat, but typically don't boil away like water.
The thin, hot oil soaks into the porous fiber resin of the brake pads, significantly reducing it's frictional qualities.

Once so contaminated, it's difficult, if not at times impossible, to get all the traces of grease and oil out of the Pads, so they must be replaced. ( Mostly for Oil & Grease )
Like 90# Oil the Pads are Done - Gone - throw them away . BRAKE KLEEN is pretty Cheap . $1.99 a can

If your really cheap Gasoline or Naptha should work fine - but do it out side and in a Safe Way ( Flammable ) - Gasoline has many Additives , so ( Questionable )

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Oil, grease and Cosmoline , however, don't just "brush off" as easily. The main problem here is that they get thin with heat, but typically don't boil away like water.
The thin, hot oil soaks into the porous fiber resin of the brake pads, significantly reducing it's frictional qualities.

Once so contaminated, it's difficult, if not at times impossible, to get all the traces of grease and oil out of the Pads, so they must be replaced. ( Mostly for Oil & Grease )
Like 90# Oil the Pads are Done - Gone - throw them away . BRAKE KLEEN is pretty Cheap . $1.99 a can

If your really cheap Gasoline or Naptha should work fine - but do it out side and in a Safe Way ( Flammable ) - Gasoline has many Additives , so ( Questionable )
Dan, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is your current brake setup? :D

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Really - really !

LOL, Ya , Right - I'll have more Details soon Kova .

Let Me See : My Carriers use to made by ATE - the Caliper Half is made by a Brake Company in a third World Country that Requires workers work 6.5 days a week to Fit for Mazda's , and required or Spec'd by Ford , but also put together for a Volvo - even thou the weight Difference is 450 lbs @ 80 MPH which Equallys something like 150,000 BTU's , then It is all Mathematically Control by ABS - Under Stressful Conditions - Planned Out by Computer Technician's which have Predetermine the Temperature outcome - allowed to the Rotors and Pads .

This is all based on a Quality Controlled -A so It's Based on a - 68 Degree Day ! :D

When I get to the Bottom of this Current Issue - If it turns out to be a sloppy Toe Link - that - will really Bite Me : lol

·
Registered
8,379 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
To put some salt into your wound.. If you get it how it works in auto industry then way buying EBC brakes? They don't manufacture high quality OE brakes nor they manufacture race brakes? :D
It hurts . . . ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts