SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A member asked me about this, figured I may as well post for everyone

Basically, you "just" need to force the existing relay to switch to ground. That is the function of the software that they force you to buy performs.

factory wiring

my wiring - tapping in to G:9, A:32, B:23 and fuse F58

In addition to the headlamp switch that includes the fog switch, you need a relay such as this.

An added plus is that it remembers it's last state, so if you had the fogs on when you shut the car off, they will turn on with the car. Also fogs works with just parking lights & high beams.

CZH Labs D-1022a (bought on Amazon from Electronics Salon)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
In the words of Michael Scott, can you explain it to me like im 5 years old? I already have the headlight module and fogs installed, my plan was just to splice them into the DRL's so they are always on.

Per MNIWT
"If you're using LED fog bulbs that don't draw as much power, the city light wiring is sufficient for powering both the city lights and the fog lights. I had factory fog lights, but I rewired them to the city lights for three reasons.

1. I can just turn on the city lights w/ fogs when driving in day-rain when I need to be seen but don't need to uselessly burn through my Xenon low beams to see the road.
2. The approach light button on your key fob will turn on the city and fog lights, greatly illuminating the area in front of your car. A necessity when you park outside and you've seen bear in your yard.
3. It illegally (in the US) allows you to leave your fog lights on when activating your high beams. When I hit my high beams, I want to maximize light output, not trade wide-foreground illumination for narrow-distant illumination."​

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the words of Michael Scott, can you explain it to me like im 5 years old? I already have the headlight module and fogs installed, my plan was just to splice them into the DRL's so they are always on.
Not really. If you can't read a wiring diagram & create a harness based off it, you're better off following Michael's suggestion. I use high output halogen fogs, I don't like LEDs personally, sop wouldn't wire it that way.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
oh FFS dude the software is $38 plus the cost of a VIDA 3 day. You really went through all that jigger rigging and hacking just to avoid that? I would NEVER tap into the CEM for sure. You are talking about messing with a module that controls the entire car......for $38?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh FFS dude the software is $38 plus the cost of a VIDA 3 day. You really went through all that jigger rigging and hacking just to avoid that? I would NEVER tap into the CEM for sure. You are talking about messing with a module that controls the entire car......for $38?
Hmmm... "jigger rigging". Really. Can you read a diagram? What I did is move the relay ground from CEM controlled to a separate relay. The factory circuit & wiring is intact. "Hacking" the CEM would imply trying to modify or force code, not an external wiring mod.

In my case, I added the fogs & bought the software from the local dealer. The fogs would not work. They could operate them remotely, but not from the switch. They tried to reload the software several times. No go. about a month later they had the car for 2 days & could not get them to operate. Their prognosis was that 'maybe' I would have to buy a new CEM/programming if I wanted the fogs to work.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Hmmm... "jigger rigging". Really. Can you read a diagram? What I did is move the relay ground from CEM controlled to a separate relay. The factory circuit & wiring is intact. "Hacking" the CEM would imply trying to modify or force code, not an external wiring mod.

In my case, I added the fogs & bought the software from the local dealer. The fogs would not work. They could operate them remotely, but not from the switch. They tried to reload the software several times. No go. about a month later they had the car for 2 days & could not get them to operate. Their prognosis was that 'maybe' I would have to buy a new CEM/programming if I wanted the fogs to work.
Did you buy a switch for the right year? Thats why they didn't work.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 C30 T5 R-Design
14 Posts
I've been trying to figure out why my foglamps never seem to turn on. I've seen them come on once when the car wasn't running when we were looking at things, but with the lights on I have no idea how to make them work. So this is the solution?

My switch also is not a 30739299, the button on the left of the gas door is not there.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been trying to figure out why my foglamps never seem to turn on. I've seen them come on once when the car wasn't running when we were looking at things, but with the lights on I have no idea how to make them work. So this is the solution?

My switch also is not a 30739299, the button on the left of the gas door is not there.
If you don't have the 30739299 switch, there is no way for you to turn them on... After you get the correct switch, then you can see if the fogs are actually there in your software...

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Since I deleted the vacuum pump I tried to see if I could draw power to the fog lights from there, and it works! The only issue I’m having is I can only get the LH side to power on, did I splice too far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Thats a lot of jamookistani engineering just to avoid $100 in software purchases.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Thats a lot of jamookistani engineering just to avoid $100 in software purchases.

If your offering to pay big boy I’m all ears lol it’s $200+ at my local dealership and I don’t have access to vida.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Everyone has access to VIDA. Lies.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Everyone has access to VIDA. Lies.

Well some idiots don’t, . I had a dice unit and couldn’t get it to work, so I gave up. You happy now? Lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well some idiots don’t, . I had a dice unit and couldn’t get it to work, so I gave up. You happy now? Lol

I feel your pain on this one bud. It’s not straight forward. Keep pushing thru on this tho. It’s worth it.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

If you read my posts you would know in my case this was AFTER the Volvo had the car for sometime and the software COULD NOT activate the foglights, and Volvos only suggestion was to buy the CEM, and 'maybe' that would resolve it.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
You have a stupid dealer then.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts