SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems the XC90's hotspot shuts down when the engine's off. Is there a way to keep the hotspot on even when the engine's off for a while? (I realize this might drain the XC90 battery.)

Or is it (easily) possible to reconfigure the hotspot power source to something I install (my own lithium battery) rather than pull from the XC90 battery?

I was hoping to use the XC90's hotspot to connect a cloud capable dashcam for remote access 24/7. If the XC90 hotspot can't be turned on 24/7 then I'll have to use an old phone or get a dedicated hotspot that can run 24/7.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Keeping a module awake artificially will most certainly keep the entire CANBUS Network awake and quickly drain the battery. The idea of a separate phone is better but power consumption will still be an issue.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It seems the XC90's hotspot shuts down when the engine's off. Is there a way to keep the hotspot on even when the engine's off for a while? (I realize this might drain the XC90 battery.)

Or is it (easily) possible to reconfigure the hotspot power source to something I install (my own lithium battery) rather than pull from the XC90 battery?

I was hoping to use the XC90's hotspot to connect a cloud capable dashcam for remote access 24/7. If the XC90 hotspot can't be turned on 24/7 then I'll have to use an old phone or get a dedicated hotspot that can run 24/7.

Thanks!
Another thing to consider also is how will the dashcam get the power 24/7? At most I guess they might run 1-5 hours on their own battery depending on the capacity but that will also degrade when connected to a hotspot. If its near your home, you can connect to home Wi-Fi and if its outside, probably a portable hotspot is the solution which you can use for both XC90 and dashcam and don't pay for the inbuilt one.

I created an automated task in my phone to enable hotspot whenever it is connected to XC90's bluetooth so that I don't pay extra for the inbuilt one and also get 4G speeds instead of the 3G one in my MY2016.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I don't see a feasible way of doing that with the car hotspot.

You could have a cellphone in the middle glovebox, always plugged to the USB to keep it charged. When the car is off it will run on its battery.

The bigger issue is the battery for the camera. How many hours does it last? Connected to WiFi and transferring large amounts of data it will be energy intensive.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good points about the dashcam battery. The dashcam is already hooked up to the Blackvue Magic Ultra Battery (6000mAh) so as long as the car is driven once per day it will get recharged. Further, the dashcam has a parking mode which is a lower power mode unless motion or g-force movement is detected, so more power squeezed as well.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Get portale 3G router (more battery life than LTE).
Unfortunately 3G is too slow for live updates, especially if I want to see who's stealing the dashcam and/or for the video files to be written to the cloud. :)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

Thanks!
T8 :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
if its outside, probably a portable hotspot is the solution which you can use for both XC90 and dashcam and don't pay for the inbuilt one.
I agree the portable hotspot is the way to go for me for out of house use, for both the dashcam and XC90.

After some research via WireCutter
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-mobile-wi-fi-hotspot/
I've settled down to the NETGEAR Nighthawk M1 Mobile Hotspot Router (MR1100), $233 on Amazon right now. It features both 2.4/5 GHz frequencies and a 5000mAh battery (verified to last 24hrs under heavy use) compatible with both AT&T and T-Mobile networks. It'll get charged via a tap-a-fuse on a non-constant power fuse so there's no doubt it'll last 24h as long as the XC90 is driven once daily. For longer off times like airport parking a battery pack like Anker's 26800 mAh PowerCore+ can be used solely https://www.anker.com/products/A1374011 .

Based on my data usage, 4G coverage, but particularly more expansive 3G coverage (compared to T-Mobile), the $20 "unlimited" data only plan per month (no contract) on AT&T seems best. Note there are cheaper long term plans available if you're willing to commit.

And if Volvo is reading this forum for future ideas, it would be great to include say a 50000 mAh battery for off-engine accessory use as well as a persistent 4G/5G hotspot accessible to the car owner. (Note that Volvo On Call does have a persistent internet connection but we owners can't access it.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts