SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, isn't that something??

This can only go over big in the press.

This video should be used to advertize it! It would convince many SUV-skeptics/bashers, I would think.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by blujeep:
Yeah, isn't that something??

This can only go over big in the press.

This video should be used to advertize it! It would convince many SUV-skeptics/bashers, I would think.

I agree but I can also see certain people who are ignorant about how tests are done and they watch this, they may think "wow, I don't want an SUV, these things roll; a car would not roll in this manner"...

What do you think?

Yannis

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
because people don't respect the laws of physics when they drive. they don't take into account the vehicles weight (braking earlier) or the higher center of gravity (turning slower)...you can get anything to roll at fwy speeds...southern california is proof positive--cars with wheels up all the time here--all makes and models.

the good part for the xc90 is that it seems to maintain its shape during the rollover and it seems as long as your belted in you can get out of the car after the car settles.

it reminds me of the 700 series tv ads where they drive a 740 off a building and the front crumple zone collapsed, but the passenger compartment was undamaged.

[This message has been edited by mpeng168 (edited 08-24-2002).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
ouch!!!

Where did you find this video?
Do you know where I can find some Volvo videos to download? (whatever the subject: crashtest, roadtest, commercials etc...)

Thx

Arnaud

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Volvo's gone to great lengths to address the possibility of rollover.

RSC - like DSTC for rollover situations. Pretty cool.

Airbag Curtains - for all three rows

Boron Fused Steel Roof - that's what they use on the windshield frame of the C70 'vert. It's like 6 times as strong as regular steel. This is the first use of it in an SUV, and it's used heavily in the roof.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
I agree but I can also see certain people who are ignorant about how tests are done and they watch this, they may think "wow, I don't want an SUV, these things roll; a car would not roll in this manner"...

What do you think?
Yannis
Hmm, y'know, you could be right - in fact, I know people that would say something like that.

But I still think it's a very positive thing, esp. when you consider that even tho it mite roll, the vehicle stayed pretty much together, with no serious crushing of the roof, the support pillars etc. It's very easy to imagine the passengers walking away from that, esp. with all the airbags it has.
Hopefully the 'intelligent' critics will get that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts