SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here own a non-turbo S40? I found a clean 2.4i 2008 S40, blue with tan interior-109k miles for 4900 at a local dealer. It's not a T5 so that is sad to me but I dont know much about this chassis and engine combination. I'm kinda spoiled with the power of my T6 in my XC60. Anything to be concerned about with this car? I do have a Vida/Dice setup that I was going to bring with me to run codes on.

I dont know if the price of the car is too much or just right or too cheap?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Does anyone here own a non-turbo S40? I found a clean 2.4i 2008 S40, blue with tan interior-109k miles for 4900 at a local dealer. It's not a T5 so that is sad to me but I dont know much about this chassis and engine combination. I'm kinda spoiled with the power of my T6 in my XC60. Anything to be concerned about with this car? I do have a Vida/Dice setup that I was going to bring with me to run codes on.

I dont know if the price of the car is too much or just right or too cheap?
Yessir I've had two. IF the timing belt has been done and it has good maintenance records, that's fair for a dealer IMO. I bought both of mine at ~170k for just over $2k private party, with a few defects at time of sale. To the T5 debate: a 2.4i is a comfortable commuter with nice driving dynamics. No more, no less. You won't mistake this for a fast car, but it's a rewarding little thing if your expectations are reasonable.

Common pain points:
Axles (inspect boots) - Napa replacements have given me none of the famous aftermarket grief at sub-$100 each
Sunroof leaks (inspect all footwells for moisture) - not a terrible DIY, pretty well documented on here.
Passenger side engine mount - vibration on accel. and clunking are telltale signs. Also not too pricy a fix.
Coolant expansion tank - easy, fairly cheap fix. Look for cracks on a telltale yellowed old tank.
Upper radiator hose - complex on automatics and a solidly annoying job. At 109k you're probably fine, but if it's been done that's a huge plus. I did mine at ~200k, so anticipate a >500 bill around that mileage if you don't DIY.

Engine and transmission have treated me well on both cars, the first at ~190k and the current at 210 and rolling.

·
Registered
82 Posts
From the obvious points, ask more about the suspension. At that mileage probably it's probably all stock (it should be fine for regular city driving, mine was still driveable after 90k on absolutely terrible bumpy roads), but it's far from it's days of glory.

The power, it's more than enough for city driving, as for highway - you're going to be fastest in the right lane !

·
Registered
331 Posts
From the obvious points, ask more about the suspension. At that mileage probably it's probably all stock (it should be fine for regular city driving, mine was still driveable after 90k on absolutely terrible bumpy roads), but it's far from it's days of glory.

The power, it's more than enough for city driving, as for highway - you're going to be fastest in the right lane !
This is a good point. Suspension may be a bit tired at that age if original to the car.
I'd dispute the highway point - though it's not the fastest to 60, 60-80 is thoroughly serviceable and it feels pretty surefooted at speed - it's gotten me a ticket back when I had a long commute. For reference, the base 2004 Audi A4 is roughly the same 0-60, and there's no shortage of those hauling in the left lane - just took 'em a bit to get there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts