SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we found out our R has a blown head gasket. Getting repair estimates, but I am guessing 2000-3000.

What might be a fair asking price for an R with a blown gasket if we decided to sell it instead.

123000, auto. It has an ipd stage 1 update, but I removed it. Engine doesn't need the added stress at the moment.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
AT LEAST $4500 under it's value
Depending on who does the work, it could be as much as 3500 plus it has to be towed, shipped etc plus $$ off for aggrevation

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Have you taken off the head or are you just guessing it's a head gasket? It could always be a cracked cylinder wall as well.
Says the optomist :p

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
if you drive on a blown head gasket it will warp the head(and possibly the block).

if its a cracked cyl wall... well its fubar anyways.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Just replace it yourself. Go out and buy about 500$ worth of tools (if you don't have any) and then the parts. It's not a super-hard job really, just time consuming.

This way, you have tools, and you save thousands!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Just replace it yourself. Go out and buy about 500$ worth of tools (if you don't have any) and then the parts. It's not a super-hard job really, just time consuming.

This way, you have tools, and you save thousands!
+1 Did it on an '89 Skyhawk Coupe about a dozen or so years ago (mostly because having it done would've cost more than the car was worth at the time).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nothing makes you see the glass as half empty like an R ;)

In fact, when I see a glass with water in the middle, I now ask myself how long it is before the glass begins to leak ;(
As a former M3 owner and recent R owner, I know that the leave will probably be a bicth to fix...and I'll probably have to buy a new specialized tool that costs 2x as much as the glass repair itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts