SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

For OSD'er headed for Norway

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  CellarDoor 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Yeah. Norway is indeed expensive. I also visited Norway during the OSD trip back in June/July 2012. I remembered the McDonald Big Mac Combo was sold around US$12. It was double the price here in my home area. Luckily, the hotel that I stayed also included light dinner every night. So I saved some money there. ;P

Anyway, Norway is a beautiful country. I hope that I can visit again the the future. (Maybe the next OSD?!) ;)

#3 ·
We figured everything in Europe was about 2x the price we're used to paying at home. And budgeted accordingly.

The only reason we spent any time in McD's was for the free wifi (to make hotel/B&B reservations).

#4 ·
Personally, I like the McDouble!!!

#5 ·
Make sure you bring coins for the tolls. Not all are manned and if you don't have coins, you are in trouble. The first toll in Norway [from Goteborg] will take Swedish money/coins. After that, no. They will find you and they will bill you along with a hefty penalty.

We loved Norway - it was our favorite country [we went to Denmark and of course, Sweden].

#6 ·
We just spent 7 days driving through Norway. We signed up for the AutoPass Visitors' Payment (autopass.no). It enabled us to go through the AutoPass lanes and not have to worry about paying the tolls. A credit card account was set up and the toll was automatically deducted from our account.

#8 ·
We wish to do the same thing. How do you do it before if you don't know your temporary license plate number until you are at the FDC?
I've seen mention that you can get the plate number a few days before delivery. Or you could sign up on the web site from your hotel (or McD's if you have a tablet/laptop) once you get the car.

#13 ·
Don't you just love the memories???????

#15 ·
Norway was indeed a shock price wise. We thought we were prepared but we weren't (at least for the food cost).

Gas was the most expensive in Norway but our deliver agent at OSD gave us the heads up so we just filled up in Sweden. Most places we saw were around $9.25 a gallon after conversions.

Ironically our hotel in Oslo was a pretty good deal. Around $100 USD for a small but very modern, fresh hotel in good city location (we even found free overnight street parking close by).

We did Norway in a nutshell - that was very expensive, very cool journey but came close to almost not being worth it.

Biggest regret: Not allowing to spend more time in Bergen (we liked it more than Oslo)

Craziest meal: We had struck out with two of our must eat places being closed, we were walking around and hungry. We saw a "California Style" pizza place so thought this would be interesting and not too crazy for a late lunch. We each got a veggie pizza (no sizes in, everything is single serving) and two Carlsberg bottles each. Total was something like 680 SEK which equalled about ~$105.00 - yeah crazy, food costs in Norway and other countries made us blow through our expected expenses by over $1000 when the two weeks and 5 countries were over.

The landscape is the most visually stunning though out of all the Scandinavian countries so it's a must to see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.