SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to replaced my rear bearings yesterday (Thanks Darek for your help)

Overall, the job took us 2 hours for both sides..in my driveway...- quite quickly actually.

In a nutshell, you have to remove the calipers, rotors, drive-shaft bolt, and then unscrew the hub from the back. All are fairly easy to get to, except the one bolt by the control arm. To get to it, we put in a jack under the control arm and jacked it up which gave us more room to squeeze in a socket.

Then after taking every bolt out we realized that the hub was seized in its place. So, we then jacked the rear of the car by the hub and banged it with a hammer which made it pop out. Reinstalling was reverse of what you just read, minus the hammer banging.

The driver's side was completely shot - I'm glad I replaced it. I was getting such bad humming noise that my rear windows were vibrating. After the fix I'm good as new!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Looks like you had fun! I've posted this before, looks like i'll have to post it again. You can get to the "tough bolt" with a box-end wrench without jacking up the suspension.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you had fun! I've posted this before, looks like i'll have to post it again. You can get to the "tough bolt" with a box-end wrench without jacking up the suspension.
Man..I dont know what tools you have but none of our tools would fit in there.
Now, when we lifted the suspension a bit it cleared a lot of space

·
Registered
876 Posts
Good job Tomek. Did you take it for a spin out on the highway?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Once you lift the suspension you have plenty of room.
And your wheel hubs look 1000000000000 times better than mine did. It took me like 2hrs just to get one off, they were completely welded to the car, but PB blaster and a big hammer won!

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good job Tomek. Did you take it for a spin out on the highway?
Thanks! Wouldnt be able to do it without you... also glad we torqued it to spec.

I took it for a spin on the LIE that evening and it was very very quite. And here I thought it was my tires....

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
What is the mileage on your car? I am thinking that my RR needs replaced.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Weird... Just the regular Craftsman combination wrenches.

But, I'm glad you worked it out.
Chamberlain20 said:
And your wheel hubs look 1000000000000 times better than mine did.
They looks similar to mine, they just fell off once the bolts were loose. I guess I'm lucky. That, or your car is from the Salt Belt.

·
Registered
782 Posts
They looks similar to mine, they just fell off once the bolts were loose. I guess I'm lucky. That, or your car is from the Salt Belt.
Well my car is from New Hampshire..............let me see if i can find some pics of when I did mine.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I'm at 70K miles now
It started humming at around 65K
It seemed like both sides were shot though.
same. I cant tell if its bearing noise, or my kumhos. Its like a very high pitched whirring, doesnt sound/feel at all what a bad outdrive on a boat sounds like, which is the only bearing failure Ive ever heard...

·
Registered
710 Posts
I used an S shape wrench to get to the tough bolt, got in there with the car jacked up. But it sounds like Skot53 method will work as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did my rears about a month ago and it is so quiet, now i hear my fronts are starting to hum. Got 92,000 miles on them. Rears went about 5,000 miles ago. Replaced rear hubs, discs, emergency brake, and changed the rear brake pads. All good to go.

·
Registered
283 Posts
did mine (one) also last month together with a friend. He did most of it because it was his garage/tools :p But he said to be carefull when pulling of the old bearing, so you don't pull out the axle (or whatever its called)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been battling my right rear for a couple hours now with no luck. It's totally seized on the knuckle/housing. I've been spraying it with PB blaster periodically, hitting it with a 3lb sledge, and even hooked my slide hammer up and couldn't break it lose with 10 or 15 hits. The bearing housing is completely rusted, which I think is causing a lot of my problem. Any suggestions on how to deal with that? I'm a rust newbie. I'm thinking a torch (the kind used for braising copper pipes?) might be in order. Perhaps I just need to stick with it. I have the jack under the hub right now lifting up the suspension, but my jack is just barely too short to lift the car off of the jackstand by the hub. Perhaps I'll try a block of wood under it or something just to put more weight on the hub, but I'm a little nervous about it breaking lose and the car falling onto the jackstand. Any other suggestions of things I might not have thought of?

Edit: PB Blaster + removing the ebrake stuffs + torch + persistence + frustration blows = WIN. Glad I don't have to put it back together w/ the original hub because I dented the living sh!t out of that thing! If that bearing wasn't bad before, it is now.

It took me a while to get the last bolt out because I wasn't lifting the suspension high enough. Once I lifted it higher, I was able to get a thin walled 17mm socket on it w/ a 6" extension and use a leverage bar on the end of my 3/8" drive ratchet to get enough force on it to break it loose.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You guys have part numbers? My lug nuts are stripped and need to replace hub.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Part number for the rear hub is: 31340689

Bolts for the rear hub: 985196
That was updated. I know that OEM hubs are now handed (LH and RH). Something about new ABS ring shield that comes with them now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looking for the correct part for driver's side rear.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts