SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't found much info on the revised 2006 GT 0-60 times I keep seeing the 7.2 sec for 04's and 05's with 300 hp 258 t/q

But for the 06 Gt the hp and T/q stay the same as MT 300 /295

this is what I found. Still I full second slower than a Manual 0-60 that sux

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=...&cd=7

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: For all the Automatic Guys that wanted some 2006 GT times 0-60 I found this. (zigger)

That's because 1st (and possibly 2nd) is still slightly neutered with the GT. The engine will produce full torque but not in the early gears.

Perhaps you should have done a bit more research before you bought the R since you seem to have hangups with the vehicle's performance? Did you test drive it before you bought?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: For all the Automatic Guys that wanted some 2006 GT times 0-60 I found this. (MagoonR)

I haven't really been able to get on mine yet as I am still in the break-in period, but the car seems to launch/accelerate better when using the manual mode in 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: For all the Automatic Guys that wanted some 2006 GT times 0-60 I found this. (Quick Brick)

Quote, originally posted by Quick Brick »
I haven't really been able to get on mine yet as I am still in the break-in period, but the car seems to launch/accelerate better when using the manual mode in 1st and 2nd gear.

And push the "Advanced" suspension setting which will give a bit better engine timing advance.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: For all the Automatic Guys that wanted some 2006 GT times 0-60 I found this. (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

And push the "Advanced" suspension setting which will give a bit better engine timing advance.

Yep ... did that, and that's what I mean. In EVERY mode and setting, the response and acceleration seems better in Manual mode in 1st and 2nd gear

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: For all the Automatic Guys that wanted some 2006 GT times 0-60 I found this. (zigger)

Quote, originally posted by zigger »
I haven't found much info on the revised 2006 GT 0-60 times I keep seeing the 7.2 sec for 04's and 05's with 300 hp 258 t/q

But for the 06 Gt the hp and T/q stay the same as MT 300 /295

this is what I found. Still I full second slower than a Manual 0-60 that sux

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=...&cd=7

Everyone will be able to match the Automatic's 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, but only a skilled driver will be able to get 5.4 seconds out of the manual transmission.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: For all the Automatic Guys that wanted some 2006 GT times 0-60 I found this. (e1618978)

Quote, originally posted by e1618978 »

Everyone will be able to match the Automatic's 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, but only a skilled driver will be able to get 5.4 seconds out of the manual transmission.

And one who is willing to put his clutch under some abuse.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True... very true. I dont have hang ups just wasn't happy with the 7.4 0-60 times I saw for autos..My G tech says I hit 5.9 in my auto but who knows..from a roll 60-120 Auto Vs Man would be dead even (if Gt is is Tip mode )

·
Registered
506 Posts
Re: (zigger)

Hmm, I think the auto is not given enough credit on launch. When I had my Typhoon (remember those?) Nothing could touch that off the line, granted it had some goodies. If you dont remember what they are, they were essentially the Buick Grand Nationals in a GMC Jimmy. AWD and a reported 280 HP, turbocharged etc. Anyway, to get that sucker to launch, I would put the ebrake on, stand on the brake pedal, and floor the car. This would get the revs up to about 4-5K and the boost at full, while the car is barely holding still. Simultaneously release the ebrake and the brake pedal and it was like a slingshot, spinning all 4 wheels. I don't see why this wouldn't be the case with the auto R's either. Mine only has 900 miles on it so far so I ain't gonna try it yet

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
you guys will get exactly what you want with the IPD reflash and torque delete, don't be scared I did it, it's all good and fast like the grand nationals of the past.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: (nikhsub11)

Quote, originally posted by nikhsub11 »
Hmm, I think the auto is not given enough credit on launch. When I had my Typhoon (remember those?) Nothing could touch that off the line, granted it had some goodies. If you dont remember what they are, they were essentially the Buick Grand Nationals in a GMC Jimmy. AWD and a reported 280 HP, turbocharged etc. Anyway, to get that sucker to launch, I would put the ebrake on, stand on the brake pedal, and floor the car. This would get the revs up to about 4-5K and the boost at full, while the car is barely holding still. Simultaneously release the ebrake and the brake pedal and it was like a slingshot, spinning all 4 wheels. I don't see why this wouldn't be the case with the auto R's either. Mine only has 900 miles on it so far so I ain't gonna try it yet
that's definitely asking for trouble IMO be sure to tell us what happens.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Re: (cloaked)

Quote, originally posted by cloaked »
you guys will get exactly what you want with the IPD reflash and torque delete, don't be scared I did it, it's all good and fast like the grand nationals of the past.
IPD only does the ECU swap right? I'm not going to do that... mine is a lease. If I do anything it will be the BSR PPC. Does that have the torque limit delete option as well?

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nikhsub11 »

IPD only does the ECU swap right? I'm not going to do that... mine is a lease. If I do anything it will be the BSR PPC. Does that have the torque limit delete option as well?

No, BSR doesn't, but I haven't seen anything other than anecdotal evidence to say there is ANY torque limitations in 1st/2nd gear on '06 GT.

I wouldn't be surprised if '06 GTs are just as fast or faster than '04/'05 MTs. MUCH easier to launch, they have Haldex InstaTrac, and turbos do better with Autos than manuals anyway.

zigger, btw, I was only able to get 5.8 on a regular basis with my GTech when my car was stock, so I think you are doing just fine with a 5.9 secs to 60.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If I would have had to get an automatic, I would have opted for the IS350. It can achieve what the R's manual does.
Heck, stuff the kids seats in the back and get a GTO(400hp). Now THAT is a serious automatic for $30K!

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (Eric_H)

Quote, originally posted by Eric_H »
If I would have had to get an automatic, I would have opted for the IS350. It can achieve what the R's manual does.
Heck, stuff the kids seats in the back and get a GTO(400hp). Now THAT is a serious automatic for $30K!

No AWD in either so no thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
06 auto with just Evolve cat back, 13.8 last Friday, even the MT people will have hard time rowing threw the gears to do that. Gotta give the Auto some respect.......

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: (MagoonR)

Yeah, but AWD compared to wanting something fast are two different things.
I think what Zigger is lacking in his R is what a GTO would supply.

However, the GTO lacks a lot of what the R has.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: (Eric_H)

Yeah, apples and elephants really. The R is so much more refined ... like a fine piece of clothing, you can dress it up or dress it down. The GTO still has some of that old undignified Camaro persona to shake.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: (obsessed1)

Quote, originally posted by obsessed1 »
06 auto with just Evolve cat back, 13.8 last Friday, even the MT people will have hard time rowing threw the gears to do that. Gotta give the Auto some respect.......

I totally believe that. With the '06 GT you can brake torque to launch, so the turbo is already spun up.

No clutch dumping required. Instatrac is right there so no bog.

And every time manuals shift we lose boost for just a second, if I understand mechanicals correctly, that doesn't happen in an Auto.

I think Volvo's 5.4 claims were too fast for MT, and their 6.2 claims are too slow for GT. If I was buying '06, I would probably buy the GT, although it is SO MUCH FUN shifting the car, even with a damaged leg. Coming down the hill on the autobahn from PT today, hitting the offramp, downshifting... very engaging.

Sitting in traffic at the stoplight and in the drive-thru, not so engaging.

·
Registered
507 Posts

Great point. My 2004 GT is not stock and in cool weather and power braking the car the car launches like being shot out of a gun with all 4 wheels spinning and mine does not even come close to Boosted's. Now what would be interesting would be a 2006 GT with an IPD chip being able to pull 21 psi in all gears. Now that would be a monster!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts