SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did it today, after only about 2 hours of trial and error. A bunch of people mentioned in a previous thread when I was frustrated at the thing not coming out, to use a come-a-long. Well, since I didn't feel like getting one of those I took another stab at it. Here's what I did:

Remove bolts that hold on fuel filter bracket, and bolt that goes through the bushing
Remove rear shock, while keeping the control arm on a jack so it doesn't fall down rapidly.
Lower the control arm, and make sure the bushing comes off the part it slides on to

Used a dremel to remove as much rubber as I could as deep as I could inside the bushing
Heated the bushing up with mapp gas
Got a ratcheting strap to pull onto the bushing against the car itself. There's a little spot to hook it midway between the front and rear next to the pinch weld. Tightened it as much as possible.

Then, I used a pickle fork (got this particular one at harbor freight) that just happened to fit around the neck of the bushing, between the arm and the head. Then I used a 3 foot cheater pipe on the pickle fork, and just pried outwards. It popped right out.

Then, I took a flat-head, and separated the solid part of the bushing which is pressed into the arm, and sort of bent it away from the arm itself so it could be pulled out. Once it was loose on all sides, it just slid out.

Job done, except for hammering the new one back in.

Here's the bushing in question.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

How do you know when it's bad or in need of replacement?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips!

How do you know when it's bad or in need of replacement?
When the bushing disintegrates and it clunks like a mofo, or even before then. It should have no play, if you put a breaker bar on one of the lug nuts, and wiggle the wheel back and forth you can see how much play it has, it's in front of the rear wheels, sort of hard to see.

·
Registered
287 Posts
To alll who ever plan on doing this www.handsontools.com sells the 999-5497 tool required for this job. I bought mine paid 125 USD, had it in my hand 3 days later. Took less than an hour per side with this tool. Well worth the pain and time.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sorry I didn't get to tell you this before all that work....get a torch and heat the metal part and it will slide out easier...and replace the new one when the metal is hot...I also chilled the new part and it fit right in the hot part and as the heat equlized it made a nice tite fit...took me about 15 min to do the whole job...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I didn't get to tell you this before all that work....get a torch and heat the metal part and it will slide out easier...and replace the new one when the metal is hot...I also chilled the new part and it fit right in the hot part and as the heat equlized it made a nice tite fit...took me about 15 min to do the whole job...
You got lucky.

I thought it was going to be that easy, and the plastic/rubber bushing was completely seized inside the arm. Without a come-a-long or something similar it's nearly impossible to get out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts