SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what RPM do you normally shift at? I have the hood blanket removed so I get a lot more engine/turbo noise in my cabin so I find myself shifting around the 2.8k-3k rpm range especially with the torque we have. I rarely find myself winding the engine up into the 4-5k range. I am wondering if this is just me or if everyone else babies their R on a daily commute. I 'll be in 6th gear and just cruising by 55mph.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'll usually get up to speed shifting at ~4-5k (don't really ever look), and then cruise around at 45-60 in 6th at 1400 RPM sometimes, coast to red lights and repeat. Throw in ~2-6 WOT pulls up to various speeds and a few fast passes and there's my daily commute. 18.5 MPG average with 91 no ethanol and 17-17.5 MPG with 93 10%

·
Registered
868 Posts
I tend to spend 90% of my time driving like an old lady (cruise at 60-65 on the highway, shift under 2000-2500 rpm around town, high gears as early as possible even on surface streets) or 10% driving like my pants are on fire.

If I'm showing off to passengers, I do rev it out pretty high with the windows down because the Evolve exhaust I have on it sounds magnificent. Just quiet enough for cruising under 3k rpm or so, but it pops and crackles on overrun like a lunatic racecar. Best $300 I've ever spent.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I cruise around 3000-3500 rpm on the highway, but due to the Cavalli turbo which likes to build boost later in the rpm band... I just want to be able to have torque when I step on the pedal. When I get into it, I ring it out all the way to just shy of redline. Normal driving, I probably shift in the upper 3k to low 4k range.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I like to shift as early as possible, anywhere from about 2200-3000 out of 1st depending on if I need to get the car moving. Otherwise its always under 3000 unless I'm getting onto the highway. At cruising speeds I keep it around 2000 otherwise I feel like I'm lugging the engine, I wont cruise around below 2000 unless I know I wont need any power.

I baby the balls out of this car. Haven't even redlined it since its been in my possession.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tend to spend 90% of my time driving like an old lady (cruise at 60-65 on the highway, shift under 2000-2500 rpm around town, high gears as early as possible even on surface streets) or 10% driving like my pants are on fire.

If I'm showing off to passengers, I do rev it out pretty high with the windows down because the Evolve exhaust I have on it sounds magnificent. Just quiet enough for cruising under 3k rpm or so, but it pops and crackles on overrun like a lunatic racecar. Best $300 I've ever spent.
$300?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
868 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Apologies in advance, but my question is somehow related to this thread and also don't want to open another one just for this.
So, I have the 5 spd auto which I'm using 90% of time in GT mode. (yes, you can ask why I bought and auto then - long story short, this V70R was the only one available without importing one from the UK)

I'm shifting as follows: 1st to 2nd as soon as I can or ~2k, 2nd to 3rd at ~2.5K, 3rd to 4th ~ 3k and most of the time I'm cruising ~2500 - 2700 on the motorway.

Few times I did a redline and noticed, it is only possible in the 1st and 2nd gear to rev into the red zone while in 3rd gear, I cannot go above 6300 rpm. Is this a limitation of the 5spd GT in 3rd gear?
Due to obvious reasons (one of them is loosing my drivers license for a lifetime) I haven't tried redlining the car in 4th and 5th gear.

The car is completely stock, no mods whatsoever, no DTCs at all, besides the AQS (air quality sensor), running on 95 octane petrol. (only 95 is available here)

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
TC won't lock in GT mode. You're losing fuel economy. 6.3k is probably a limit for the GT.

I was wrong. It will lock in 2,3,4 no mention of 5th in manual.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
TC won't lock in GT mode. You're losing fuel economy. 6.3k is probably a limit for the GT.
Thanks!

Interesting.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but based on my experience the TC locks around 2000 RPM.
Using the GT helped me to gain on fuel economy instead of loosing. I'm usually around ~24 MPG on GT mode with mixed driving. (30 miles each way/daily) Same with auto 21-22 MPG.
I think, finallyfound something and based on that, the 5 spd GTs are (top end) limited in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear to protect the transmission. Some says around 5800 in 3rd gear others stated ~6000.
MTE/iPD tuning can remove this limitation with the 1st-2nd gear torque limit together.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Thanks!

Interesting.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but based on my experience the TC locks around 2000 RPM.
Using the GT helped me to gain on fuel economy instead of loosing. I'm usually around ~24 MPG on GT mode with mixed driving. (30 miles each way/daily) Same with auto 21-22 MPG.
I think, finally I found something and based on that, the 5 spd GTs are limited in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear to protect the transmission. Some says around 5800 in 3rd gear others stated ~6000.
MTE/iPD tuning can remove this limitation with the 1st-2nd gear torque limit together.
I was wrong. I read the manual. The car won't kick down in GT mode but the TC will lock in 2,3,4 but not 5th? My mistake sorry.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was wrong. I read the manual. The car won't kick down in GT mode but the TC will lock in 2,3,4 but not 5th? My mistake sorry.
No problem at all! ;) Thanks for the fast response!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I shift at 3500 to 4500 in normal traffic if i can get there in a single run otherwise I'll shift at no less than 3000. These engines need to flex the power band..thats how they are designed..I bought the R for a reason. :)

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I shift at 3500 to 4500 in normal traffic if i can get there in a single run otherwise I'll shift at no less than 3000. These engines need to flex the power band..thats how they are designed..I bought the R for a reason. :)
I try to hit 5500 at least once a day.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts