SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
works 50% of the time. After 4-5 attempts, when I start to act like a monkey :), I stop trying it. What is the trick? Where is the sensor exactly (left or in the middle?).

Based on the manual what I know is:

- "One of the remote keys must be in your possession when you are behind the vehicle in order to activate the foot movement sensor, even if the tailgate is already unlocked. This is done to help prevent the sensor from inadver- tently opening the tailgate, for example, in a car wash."
- "If several attempts have been made to open/ close the tailgate without a remote key in your possession, the function will time out and will not be available for a short period."

·
Registered
156 Posts
Focus the left portion of the trunk. Doing left-right-left. Only one wave won't trigger it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
works 50% of the time. After 4-5 attempts, when I start to act like a monkey :), I stop trying it. What is the trick? Where is the sensor exactly (left or in the middle?).

- "One of the remote keys must be in your possession when you are behind the vehicle in order to activate the foot movement sensor, even if the tailgate is already unlocked. This is done to help prevent the sensor from inadver- tently opening the tailgate, for example, in a car wash."
- "If several attempts have been made to open/ close the tailgate without a remote key in your possession, the function will time out and will not be available for a short period."
I would say it works less than 50% for us. And I have challenged the dealer to do it too and they can't any more consistently. I have basically given up on using it because I waste more time trying to get it to work and looking foolish if it doesn't than just doing it the old fashioned way.

And, yes, I know exactly where the sensor is, and no I don't have the Urban kit that messes it up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
There's a video someone posted on another thread on here of a trainer training some salespeople at a dealer, and he shows how to do it. It's like kicking straight in from the back right under the left side of the license plate... At least in the video. And you basically need the key fob in your pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts

There is a definite way to make it work 100%of the time. I was standing to close and swiping. Kick forward right under /below the left sensor on bumper and step away fast. Works fine for me every time. I was so frustrated until I saw a video

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There is a definite way to make it work 100%of the time. I was standing to close and swiping. Kick forward right under /below the left sensor on bumper and step away fast. Works fine for me every time. I was so frustrated until I saw a video
I just tried this, several times, and it didn't work any better than it has. Definitely not 100%. I would bet there is an enormous amount of variability in how well this works, vehicle to vehicle. Could also have to do with how clean the sensor is. I have no idea. Like I said, my dealer can't get it to work consistently either.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I just tried this, several times, and it didn't work any better than it has. Definitely not 100%. I would bet there is an enormous amount of variability in how well this works, vehicle to vehicle. Could also have to do with how clean the sensor is. I have no idea. Like I said, my dealer can't get it to work consistently either.
You guys can meet and have a tounament on this. :) Dealer maybe is not so devoted to learn it if he does not drive XC90 personally.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys can meet and have a tounament on this. :) Dealer maybe is not so devoted to learn it if he does not drive XC90 personally.
:)))

So what I am hearing is:
1. Kick forward right under /below the left sensor on bumper
2. left-right-left

Will try this and report back later
thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
"You put your left foot in You put your left foot out You do the Hokey Pokey and you shake it all about.."

Go to the 6:15 mark in this video:
https://youtu.be/DUCj-JaEvHA

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was having the same issue and tried sweeping my foot slower from the right (directly below the right corner of the license plate) towards the middle. Started getting 100%. Kind of more of a slicing kick versus straight in and out. My wife had a great time making fun of me. I agree it shouldn't be this hard. Happy to enter any contest that you guys come up with :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Sounds like an aerobics class!

:)))

So what I am hearing is:
1. Kick forward right under /below the left sensor on bumper
2. left-right-left

Will try this and report back later
thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just so that everyone knows that not all of us are having trouble with this feature.
Mine works 100% of the time with a slow swipe left to right. Make sure you are close enough that it picks up your key fob.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Just so that everyone knows that not all of us are having trouble with this feature.
Mine works 100% of the time with a slow swipe left to right. Make sure you are close enough that it picks up your key fob.
You are good! I am usually successful 9/10 times. Again, swiping from left to right or right to left, works well for me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anybody know where the actual sensor is? I checked underside of the car but could not see anything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The trick is to step away eight after the swipe. It makes sense that it does not open with a person standing right next to it. I've also heard the macarena works too. It was a huge hit in swedeen back in the 90's

·
Registered
295 Posts
The trick is to step away eight after the swipe. It makes sense that it does not open with a person standing right next to it. I've also heard the macarena works too. It was a huge hit in swedeen back in the 90's
It would be more reassuring if there's at least a beep registering your foot, so you avoid the awkward pause of stepping away and looking at a motion-less door.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It would be more reassuring if there's at least a beep registering your foot, so you avoid the awkward pause of stepping away and looking at a motion-less door.
Good suggestion. And would also warn by-standers the door is about to swing open.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts