SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my XC90 parked in my garage with the garage door closed and walked behind the car to get to the other side. Next thing I know I see the lights flash and hear the sound of the tailgate opening. I quickly applied pressure on the tailgate to prevent it from opening and hitting the garage door. Once is sensed the pressure, it reversed and closed. Close call! I think my foot activated the sensor when I walked behind it. First time this happened. I always lock the tailgate when I park in the garage but I probably forgot this time.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,033 Posts
The opposite has happened to me while loading grocery bags in my V90CC. The tailgate has started closing and slapped me a couple of times on the back of my head. I stay a decent distance away from the sensor area while loading/unloading stuff now.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
One can program the tailgate open height to prevent it from hitting a ceiling feature accidently. The tailgate can always be opened further manually when needed. This feature has saved me a few times in our garage with low ceiling features (like a diamond chandelier garage light for example . . .)!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’m amazed the foot sensor actually worked that well. I can never get it to work. Half the time I have to push the button in my pocket to save myself from looking like an ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I’m amazed the foot sensor actually worked that well. I can never get it to work. Half the time I have to push the button in my pocket to save myself from looking like an ass.

It’s all technique. I am 100% successful once I learned to follow the documented steps. It is kind of a Texas two-step.

See https://forums.swedespeed.com/#/topics/600949

·
Registered
73 Posts
I noticed that the sensor is only good at detecting a kicking motion (not sweeping motion or anything else) in the area between the "V" and "O" on the tailgate. I've found the feature to operate consistently when keeping within those parameters.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I noticed that the sensor is only good at detecting a kicking motion (not sweeping motion or anything else) in the area between the "V" and "O" on the tailgate. I've found the feature to operate consistently when keeping within those parameters.
FYI, the location of the sensor seems to change depending on certain options.
For example, if you have the tow hitch, it is approximately under the second bumper sensor from the left.

My tailgate sometimes opens by itself without much warning in my garage. A couple of times, VOC warned me that the car was unlocked. When I checked the car, sure enough, the tailgate was open as much as it could. I'm sure that I locked it because otherwise it won't charge.

Theorizing that the proximity to the garage door as it closes may trigger the sensor, and since my garage has plenty of room in front of my car, I now park further in and away from the garage door. Since I started doing this, the car has behaved itself and has not opened the tailgate by itself.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
The weird thing for me is when I mount bike rack to tow hitch, the trunk door pop opened and hit the bike rack. Bummmm. I am nowhere near the sensor. I am actually on the right side of the hitch. And it happened again when I unmount the rack.

Now I have to remember not to carry key fob when mount bike rack...

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's good at closing on my head when I'm standing and loading things. Think I'm going to relocate it to the side.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
That would be great sometimes!
I somehow totally forgot about the disabling functionality until I saw this thread and went back to my car to check if it’s still in Lexus as well.
It was simply a button that disables motion and electrical operation of the trunk. So it’s back to your 30yrs old truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My tailgate (2020 V60) is triggered by the shadows of people walking by on the sidewalk, or a passing cloud, or me getting something out of the back. Often I hear the triple-beep from the tailgate that means it has received the foot-signal but it doesn't think it should open, but there's no foot under the car and I am standing at the front of the car. No, I am not pushing the key fob—I only wear pants that have a separate key-fob pocket now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I programmed mine to open a little lower because I’m afraid it’ll hit my garage if fully extended. It’s close though so it may be able to go up all the way. But I don’t want to risk damaging it not worth finding out if it can fully extend!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I programmed mine to open a little lower because I’m afraid it’ll hit my garage if fully extended. It’s close though so it may be able to go up all the way. But I don’t want to risk damaging it not worth finding out if it can fully extend!
you can manually lift it up to a safe height and then set the maximum from there using the button..

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
You can also consider applying a strip of paint protection film tailgate’s edge as a precaution. Just some piece of mind.

I used to worry about remotely opening the tailgate after having forgotten that I backed to a parking stall against a concrete wall in a parking lot.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

1 - 16 of 16 Posts