SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently drive a 2012 XC60 T6. I love this car! While at the dealership yesterday I was looking at the new XC60s, and noticed a peculiar difference... For some reason, Volvo have removed the middle-rear fold down seat, and replaced it with a tiny pass through hole. I have no idea why they would do this?

When I go skiing with my family, the kids sit in the back and my wife and I in the front. We fold down the middle-rear seat, and load up out equipment. There is NO way you can fit 4 pairs of skiis (or 2 pairs + snowboards) through the new hole they now provide.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Is a fold down middle seat even an option?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a middle fold down seat in the XC60. Unless it was specific to MY 2012 and before or it's a .CA option.

I've always put long items on the roof rack (Thule purchase) and called it a day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All XC60s that I've seen used to have 40:20:40 folding rear seats. It's FAR more convenient than mounting my Thule on the roof every time we want to go skiing. I don't leave the Thule on because I can't fit in any of the Toronto parking garages. Taking the Thule on and off the car every winter is a bit of a hassle.

So, I still don't understand how someone thought the silly little pass through hole is a better idea? It's definitely not an improvement.

Poor decision by Volvo in my view. Maybe the folks at Volvo have never tried to load more than 2 pairs of skis through the hole?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
For skis I always put them on roof load bar. I don't want to spend time clean them up and put inside the car. :)
I have not bought roof load bar for XC60 though. Currently I am using a very simple tightened hook fastener for skis on my old car.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
For skis I always put them on roof load bar. I don't want to spend time clean them up and put inside the car. :)
I have not bought roof load bar for XC60 though. Currently I am using a very simple tightened hook fastener for skis on my old car.
No need to clean skis, there is a ski bag: Premium or standard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I’ve still never seen an XC60 with a 40:20:40 rear seat arrangement

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Our '15.5 XC60 has the 40:20:40 rear seat as does the '16 V60. It's quite handy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 13 had them as well, but I agree the little hatch isn't as useful.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I dont know of many non Volvos that have em. Likely expensive and not needed to be competitive in the lux class. The old folding seats were better for cargo but I hear very few complaints from buyers. Volvo does a great job with listening to feedback though IMO. We even got the little ticket windshield clip back for 2020! Small victories....

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
All model years of the first generation XC60 had 40/20/40 split folding rear seats, which was ideal for skis. The ski pass through on SPA class XC60’s is a bit lame. I suppose if I’m just going on a day or overnight ski trip I’ll just fold down the passenger side rear seats and stick the skis in the same bag I used in my last XC60. For a longer trip I’ll have to get crossbars and use my roofbox.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
You don't realize you miss the 40/20/40 split rear seat until you need it. That is one of the things we miss the most coming from our 2016 XC60 to the 2019 XC60. We used the middle fold down section for the umbrella stroller to pass through. We just have to get a little more creative packing the trunk now.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You don't realize you miss the 40/20/40 split rear seat until you need it. That is one of the things we miss the most coming from our 2016 XC60 to the 2019 XC60. We used the middle fold down section for the umbrella stroller to pass through. We just have to get a little more creative packing the trunk now.
I too miss the 40/20/40 set up from our previous Volvos but have gotten used to not having them. But what I really miss is the fold flat front passenger seat. I used that feature all the time with really long items. Wish Volvo would bring this back or at least offer it as an option for those willing to pay for it. Those of us who have been with Volvo a long time notice these little things quietly going away. Ticket Clip is another one!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting discussion. I know LOTS of cars in this segment that still offer 40/20/40 folding rear seats - BMW, VW, Mercedes... I guess I'm just questioning WHY Volvo would think the little opening is in any way better than 40/20/40?

No one here has offered any explanation. Did the Volvo designers have a meeting and someone actually thought this was an improvement? Puzzling.

Perhaps it's a cost issue?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Interesting discussion. I know LOTS of cars in this segment that still offer 40/20/40 folding rear seats - BMW, VW, Mercedes... I guess I'm just questioning WHY Volvo would think the little opening is in any way better than 40/20/40?

No one here has offered any explanation. Did the Volvo designers have a meeting and someone actually thought this was an improvement? Puzzling.

Perhaps it's a cost issue?
Everyone would agree that 40/20/40 is more convenient. Pretty sure in terms of manufacturing cost it is also a more convenient setup as well since there is less assembly and materials (because of the double structure of an armrest and whatever cupholder feature there would be). I would think it really is a platform/structural reason either in the car frame or the seatframe design that doesn't allow for fully secure (or to Volvo's standards) middle seat.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Everyone would agree that 40/20/40 is more convenient. Pretty sure in terms of manufacturing cost it is also a more convenient setup as well since there is less assembly and materials (because of the double structure of an armrest and whatever cupholder feature there would be). I would think it really is a platform/structural reason either in the car frame or the seatframe design that doesn't allow for fully secure (or to Volvo's standards) middle seat.
It is interesting that this exists in the XC90, it's not a Volvo standard. I think it's a savings on production, or is it a bad design, like a on rear bumper cover case which is constantly falling out

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Should I assume that Volvo put the 40/20/49 seats in on the 2014 refresh since I never saw them on my 2013 or should I assume there were options in 2013 and before for them?

·
Registered
102 Posts
As I stated before, my '13 R-Design had them, if you never saw them, perhaps they were part of a package you didn't have.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
That was another assumption I meant to state. A different package.

·
Registered
102 Posts
From the '13 brochure it appears to be a standard item.

PACK & LOAD Compartment
Three-split 40/20/40 rear seat
Ergonomically designed three-split rear seat provide generous
support for the body during long journeys and flexibility when
required. Lowering the entire center section provides ample
space for loading long items. To provide multiple load
configurations with a flat load floor, each of the three seats
can be folded separately or together. What’s more, the rear
seats only take one step to manuever.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts