SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Maybe I'm just dumb or did something wrong, but I swapped out the oem bulbs in the foglights to some from autolumination. Now my foglights won't turn on. They worked great before. I'm going to troubleshoot in the morning if I have time, but I'm kind of bummed. I was looking forward to non-yellowy foglights...

Here are the things I DID do, just so folks aren't like "well did you do X?"

-I did get the right type of bulb [55w H3 bulb]
-I did plug the white lead to the same spot where the oem one was.
-I did plug the red lead to the [I assume] ground plug below the socket
-I did disassemble and reassemble the lights correctly

At this point, I have no idea why they would all of a sudden not like new light bulbs. What's also weird is that after I swapped one bulb and reassembled, I turned the car on and tested to see, cause I was curious how the two colors would compare. Thing is, neither foglight turned on at that point. I went ahead and swapped both bulbs, hoping it would work when I was done. No luck. Didn't work either on my drive home.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Since they're not a monitored system by the car, I get no message indicating a problem :facepalm: Could this be as simple as a blown fuse? What's the fuse number for fogs on an 04R?

Thankfully this isn't a major system failure, just an annoyance :D:D

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Wow, seems like everything is breaking down on your R. Lol

Check the fuse first, the fuse number guide is at the back of that panel. If I remember correctly I think it's number 15.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, seems like everything is breaking down on your R. Lol

Check the fuse first, the fuse number guide is at the back of that panel. If I remember correctly I think it's number 15.
It's been one of those weeks :( I figure everyone in the R forum has one at least once in their ownership. I'm just waiting for the struts to go now :D [The joys of third-hand ownership....]

Will do in the morning. Hopefully they turn right on with a new fuse!

Thankfully, the fix-the-car budget is relatively comfy right now, and I'll have a few go-fast bits installed in June among some other maintenance fixes/fluid flushes. Still, I'd rather not drain all the funding right NOW :(

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You know what? Install the bulbs opposite of what you did originally. Problem solved! I bet.. lol

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the leads only go to their proper terminals, which are clearly marked. H3's are weird in that they dont have a wiring harness to snap in to like other auto bulbs.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Well, the leads only go to their proper terminals, which are clearly marked. H3's are weird in that they dont have a wiring harness to snap in to like other auto bulbs.
Well. Either the bulbs are wrong, or you broke something, or a fuse like other suggested..

·
Registered
234 Posts
deffective fog lights perhaps? do a simple test...connect one of your NEW fog lamps directly to the battery terminals. (either you might wanna run a long pair of wires from back of the car all the way to the front of the bumper or disassemble the fog lamp) and If it lights up, then you know the new bulb is fine and its probably gonna be your fog light fuse...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, four fuses later and I'm still at square one. I watched cabin fuse 18 [foglights on 04] blow through 2x15amps, 1x25amp, and 1x30amp, which is double what it should be pulling, so something is definitely awry. Will reinstall the oem bulbs and troubleshoot again, and I'll double check my wiring of the bulbs in there. However, a bulb hooked up backwards [near impossible with h3's] should not be blowing fuses.

I feel like something is shorting out...I just don't feel like taking the bumper off again and searching with a multimeter to find out...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Try the fog light fuse thats up under the dash worked for me with the same problem ,you have to remove the panel above the pedals.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait, there are two foglight fuses in the cab?? I did the "door hinge" panel fuse, #18 on my car.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Wait, there are two foglight fuses in the cab?? I did the "door hinge" panel fuse, #18 on my car.
Sorry, not #15, but #18, I was going by memory there.
There is only one for 2004s. 2005s they split the amperage for both lights, so 7.5 amp fuse for each side rather than one for both at 15 amp. I guess Volvo modified it when they refreshed all the electrical systems in the 2005+ models, and decided to split them off so that if one side fails (shorts) both don't shut off.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regardless, if it's blowing through 30amp fuses by just flipping the switch, I'm drawing waaaaaay to much current. Something has definitely shorted.

What would the main instigators be in this case. Am I going to have to redo the wiring on both my fogs to troubleshoot this? :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
You might have your leads crossed in the bulb caps, given that you have converted to HID, I would check the wiring and try connecting one side at a time.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, they're just standard h3 halogens in the "6000k" color. I will definitely check for crossed wires tomorrow. Gotta get ready for work, and I'm seeing the Avengers tonight. Woot! I haven't done a midnight showing since college :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
Did you try putting the original bulbs back in? Maybe one of the new bulbs is the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts