SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my new PIAA yellow fogs yesterday, but ran into a problem. The drivers side bulb installation went fine; I turned on the lights after installing it and both came on. The passenger side was much more difficult to access but I was able to install the bulb correctly. When I went to turn the fogs on however, neither came on. The led in the dash switch was illuminated, but the fogs were dead. Is this just a fuse issue? I don't know why both would go out...I would think that only the affected light would be dead. The bulb packaging indicates 55W and from what I can tell the original bulbs were 35W. Can I just go to a bigger fuse if that is the problem? Thanks.<p>Evo

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Re: Fog lights out (Evos_R)

Fuses protect wiring, do not increase their values. <p>The fuse is #18 at left end of dash. It is a 15 Amp fuse, and the load through it with 35 watt bulbs would have been about 5.5 Amps. With 55 watt bulbs, the load through it will be about 8.7 Amps. It should hold, even with the initial in rush current for the bulb. Not a good idea to subject bulb sockets, wiring, etc. to the increased heat and current, but you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Fog lights out (rogersampson)

Thanks, that did it. Replaced the fuse and they work now.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Since in your reply, you stated that after installation on your first attempt to fire up the bulbs they didn't work....<p>You probably shorted something during the removal process. Remember thoes are + 12v and a ground. That +12v can ground out blowing a fuse.<p>It may have had some residual current left when turning the car off or what not, but if the fuse blew and you never saw the PIAA's light up right after installation......... I would assume the fuse blew before you had both new bulbs put in.<p>If it happens again, you might have a problem. However I ran Piaa 3000k yellows for over a year. I now run HID's down there on factory wiring. You shouldn't have a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts