SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by saying I drive an 04 S60R. While I was changing my fog lights, the passenger side fog light assembly came apart in my hand. Does anyone have any tips on putting it back together or should I just buy a new assembly?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...429,r:3,s:0,i:84&tx=75&ty=59&biw=1198&bih=637

(unfortunately this is the best I can do in terms of picture, I had duct tape it in place before running off to work)

It appears that the silicone that holds the black plastic bulb housing to the rear of the assembly broke (where the arrow is pointing). I took it off the car with wiring, plastic housing, and metal bulb housing.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
And if I can repair it, what silicone should I use?
Tile silicone sealant (white or clear) from Home Depot should do the trick. Might be a good opportunity to do a HID upgrade.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine had been repaired by the previous owner. Came home the other day and noticed it hanging. There was electrical tape holding it together. The metal socket had come apart from the reflector. I replaced it with a new one. Unless you pull it down completely I believe you are going to have difficulty sealing it around enough to get it to hold. There is not a lot of room on top of to work with. If your going to pull it down it maybe better to replace it. IMO. Plus when you try to turn the black plastic base to access the bulb in the future it's likely to pull apart again. There are three screws that hold the black bracket to the car. I had to unscrew the washer reservoir to get at one of the three screws. The highest one up. It was very difficult.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Mine had been repaired by the previous owner. Came home the other day and noticed it hanging. There was electrical tape holding it together. The metal socket had come apart from the reflector. I replaced it with a new one. Unless you pull it down completely I believe you are going to have difficulty sealing it around enough to get it to hold. There is not a lot of room on top of to work with. If your going to pull it down it maybe better to replace it. IMO. Plus when you try to turn the black plastic base to access the bulb in the future it's likely to pull apart again. There are three screws that hold the black bracket to the car. I had to unscrew the washer reservoir to get at one of the three screws. The highest one up. It was very difficult.
It's a lot easier if you just take off the front bumper.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Anyone have a broken light they want to sell? I need the metal part, mine fell off and was missing when I bought the car! A gracious SS member sent me the black connector, but I need the metal part.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's a lot easier if you just take off the front bumper.
I was considering that but I just could not picture having better access to it. I have never had the front bumper off before so I'm sure that would have given me a better perspective.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts