SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while washing my car at home, noticed that the front passenger side parking sensor was loose and went inside the grill. After closer inspection, even the fog light seems to go towards inside the bumper amd wiggly. Tried to put the parking sensor back on the grill section and it was kind of wiggly how much ever I tried. Looked at the driver side and it's little sturdy but still moves if I try a little. Are these not very sturdy in their position? Also, the fog light is more worrying as it looks like there is no easy access to push it forward from inside. Looked at the pics from the day I bought it 2 months ago and the parking sensor seemed out of place but can't see the fog light so not sure when this happened. There is no physical damage to any of these so I think they didn't put it back properly if they ever opened it up for anything. Even if fixing fog lamp needs openening up the bumper, will it be covered under warranty?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If it was hit, then I would not think warranty would cover it. Having said that you can easily get access to the fog light. You would need to jack up the front and remove the wheel. You can then take out the fasteners that hold the wheel well liner. You need only undo at the bottom front and then work your way approximately to the middle. This will allow you to pull back the liner exposing the area where the fog lamp can be easily reached. So you don't need to remove the bumper. Not sure about the sensor, as you did not show where it was located.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was hit, then I would not think warranty would cover it. Having said that you can easily get access to the fog light. You would need to jack up the front and remove the wheel. You can then take out the fasteners that hold the wheel well liner. You need only undo at the bottom front and then work your way approximately to the middle. This will allow you to pull back the liner exposing the area where the fog lamp can be easily reached. So you don't need to remove the bumper. Not sure about the sensor, as you did not show where it was located.
In my 2 months of ownership, I am 100 % sure I didn't hit anything that would cause the fog light to go inside that much and I didn't feel any damage to the light housing when I touched it nor around that area. So, confused on how it might have happened or my mind keeps thinking if I had it like this when I bought it itself but couldn't find the original listing with photos or pictures I took the day I bought it.

Below is the sensor I am talking about. Will get the actual picture of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I found my front right fog light pushed in a few months ago. I also don't remember ever hitting anything, and there is no damage anywhere aside from the light being pushed in. Dealer looked at it and said the attachment points behind the light were all broken and did not cover it under warranty. $200 including labor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Today while washing my car at home, noticed that the front passenger side parking sensor was loose and went inside the grill. After closer inspection, even the fog light seems to go towards inside the bumper amd wiggly. Tried to put the parking sensor back on the grill section and it was kind of wiggly how much ever I tried. Looked at the driver side and it's little sturdy but still moves if I try a little. Are these not very sturdy in their position? Also, the fog light is more worrying as it looks like there is no easy access to push it forward from inside. Looked at the pics from the day I bought it 2 months ago and the parking sensor seemed out of place but can't see the fog light so not sure when this happened. There is no physical damage to any of these so I think they didn't put it back properly if they ever opened it up for anything. Even if fixing fog lamp needs openening up the bumper, will it be covered under warranty?

It's normal and apparently quite common, mine had same issue with both fog lights and two PDC sensors under the grill. Dealership fixed both without charge. I think they just glued it....

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Also, the fog light is more worrying as it looks like there is no easy access to push it forward from inside.
For the passenger side, because there is the tow hook, you can pry off the cover for that "side grille" by first removing the cover for the tow hook, and using that opening to pull the side grille from the upper inner edge. You can then look down to see the foglights.

This picture is off the driver side, which doesn't have the convenient pull point from the tow hook opening.

With this side grille piece open, you can look at the top side of the foglight assembly. It is the piece under the wire loom tubing at the bottom edge of this picture:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the passenger side, because there is the tow hook, you can pry off the cover for that "side grille" by first removing the cover for the tow hook, and using that opening to pull the side grille from the upper inner edge. You can then look down to see the foglights.

This picture is off the driver side, which doesn't have the convenient pull point from the tow hook opening.

With this side grille piece open, you can look at the top side of the foglight assembly. It is the piece under the wire loom tubing at the bottom edge of this picture:
excellent, thank you. Will check it in the evening.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
excellent, thank you. Will check it in the evening.
You're welcome. When you reinstall that "side grille", make sure you observe which way the notches on the tabs go (e.g. whether outwards or inwards). If I recall, it means the outer sides will need to be lined up and affixed to the matching slots in the front bumper cover first, then towards the tabs that are further to the center of the front bumper cover. A firm wrist push will snap the tabs into the slots, but there is one tab close to the center (/ inner) that may need to be aligned first before pushing it in.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're welcome. When you reinstall that "side grille", make sure you observe which way the notches on the tabs go (e.g. whether outwards or inwards). If I recall, it means the outer sides will need to be lined up and affixed to the matching slots in the front bumper cover first, then towards the tabs that are further to the center of the front bumper cover. A firm wrist push will snap the tabs into the slots, but there is one tab close to the center (/ inner) that may need to be aligned first before pushing it in.
Sure I will. A quick question, will the grill pop outside when opening or I have push it in while pressing tabs. I thought it should be the later based on your initial post but just want to confirm first.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Sure I will. A quick question, will the grill pop outside when opening or I have push it in while pressing tabs. I thought it should be the later based on your initial post but just want to confirm first.
Removal of the side grille is essentially pulling the side grille out (towards the direction of vehicle travel), but gradually starting from the inner upper corner.

Reinstallation of the side grille is pushing the side grille onto the front bumper cover (away from the direction of vehicle travel). If I recall, preferably starting from the outer edge.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had the front parking sensor dislodged when Volvo washed my car at a service apportionment. My advisor said it's not uncommon and he leaned under my car and popped it back into place. When I first drove away from the dealer, I kept getting an error message on my instrument panel, so it was pretty obvious that it wasn't working right.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Removal of the side grille is essentially pulling the side grille out (towards the direction of vehicle travel), but gradually starting from the inner upper corner.

Reinstallation of the side grille is pushing the side grille onto the front bumper cover (away from the direction of vehicle travel). If I recall, preferably starting from the outer edge.
Thanks to your easy instructions, I was able to easily pop the grill and check the fog light and luckily nothing is broken and just not fit properly. Took sometime but was able to put it back in place. Couldn't get it 100% like the driver side but it feels very sturdy now and all the clips sat in place. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found my front right fog light pushed in a few months ago. I also don't remember ever hitting anything, and there is no damage anywhere aside from the light being pushed in. Dealer looked at it and said the attachment points behind the light were all broken and did not cover it under warranty. $200 including labor.
Can you post here the parts they used for this for future reference?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had the same issue with the front parking sensors coming off while hand washing the car. It seems to be a poor design for it to be happening this often. The dealer fixed it under warranty. Not sure what they did to fix it though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Thanks to your easy instructions, I was able to easily pop the grill and check the fog light and luckily nothing is broken and just not fit properly. Took sometime but was able to put it back in place. Couldn't get it 100% like the driver side but it feels very sturdy now and all the clips sat in place. Thanks again for the help.
You're welcome.

Odd; you mention nothing broken but just doesn't fit properly; was the mount bent backwards? From your pictures, there doesn't seem to be anything oddly deformed. My guess is that the foglights are deliberately mounted flexibly enough so that in a light impact, it won't be as prone to damage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts