SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of Focus ST wheels in Gunmetal Grey off of Facebook to run on my V50. The specs are 18x8 with a 55m offset, according to research on the stock ST wheel size.

Based off of this thread of an S40 of the same P1 type from a few years ago https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?224227-FS-18x8-focus-st-wheels-located-in-RI&highlight=FS%3A+18x8+focus+st the owner did not use spacers or hub centric rings, and mentions no issues.

After test fitting them, I noticed the clearance (at least on the front wheels) is very tight from the strut. In pictures below, a bit under 1/2" from the rim edge, wheel is up in the air with no load on the suspension components.

My question is would this be enough clearance to run with tires mounted without resorting to spacers?
Am I correct in thinking that there shouldn't be any lateral movement that would cause the wheel/tire to rub against the struts?

I don't normally deal with swapping wheels on my vehicles, so thanks in advance for any help.

https://imgur.com/a/n2N1ygz

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Nah - IMO you'll hit something that will deform the tire a bit and then it'll rub as that deformation reverbs around the tire. It'll stick out 1/4" at LEAST with tires on it. That only leaves you 1/4" to spare. too close for me to call good on that one IMO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah - IMO you'll hit something that will deform the tire a bit and then it'll rub as that deformation reverbs around the tire. It'll stick out 1/4" at LEAST with tires on it. That only leaves you 1/4" to spare. too close for me to call good on that one IMO.
Thanks for the reply, I don't really feel like dealing with spacers and whatnot if it will be a potential issue. May end up just re-selling the wheels.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yeah, that does not look like there is enough clearance. Most tire setups have the tires come out past the rim. With regular driving; there will most likely be premature side wall wear.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
514 Posts
I run 18x8 +43 with 235/45/R18 tires. They rub the smallest bit at full lock on my aftermarket mudflaps and even less on the fender liner. You will need probably 20mm spacers in the rear and 5-10mm in the front for perfectly flush fitment. Otherwise more than likely can be ran without spacers with no issues. For your own comfort run 10mm spacers all around and you shouldn't have any rubbing on the suspension ever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts