SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bottom foam on the seat cushions on my 142's front seat has seen better days. I have the leather seats; however, as far as I can tell the foam for the leather or fabric seats is the same (part # 1207965). This mystifies me a bit as the leather seats and fabric seats have different pattern inserts and the leather looks like it needs a front foam bolster which the fabric seats would not have. Can anybody confirm whether the foam is the same for both style seats?

The usual 140 parts vendors (Scandcar, Skandix, VP auto, CVI, Nordicar) all list the 1207965 as being available (at a wide range of prices). However, a little internet search suggests that the OEM Volvo part may still be in production. Does anybody know whether this is a real part or a virtual part from a virtual vendor? Unfortunately, we don't have a local Volvo dealer that I can check at and the closest dealer has shown an inability to spell 140 when I have telephoned with parts inquiries in the past.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont know the answer to your question, but I do have a bunch of seat parts and I could probably pull the cover off of a leather seat bottom and take some pictures for you. I will be out in the shop this weekend. I would like to know the answer as well, if for nothing more than future reference.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be appreciated. I had my seat bottoms apart to replace the piping and fix the stitching; but, I didn't really pay any attention to the foam (obviously, otherwise I probably would have replaced it when I had the seats apart!).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Took a while to get out there, but here are some pics. Looks different to me.

The bottom flap goes through to the top of the cushion.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much! That foam definitely does not look like the pictures for part 1207965. The pictures suggest an almost flat cushion with no raised padding for the bolster under the legs and definitely don't show any slot for the flap which is fastened under the bottom of the cushion.

Now what to do? Buy the part and modify it by gluing on foam or try cutting one from a large chunk of foam?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Neil,

Best to make it your self, take some time but with some effort the final result will be better. My experience with these new stuff is not so good, often you have to use a knife to get them right. You also can buy thin foam and glue it to you old cushion. I can also advice you to buy this tool: http://www.vp-autoparts.com/main.aspx?page=article&artno=296 Makes life a bit eassier.

Regards,

Mathieu.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mathieu:

Proper hog ring pliers takes all the fun out of upholstery repairs! If I go shopping for some new foam, any thoughts on what would the appropriate foam density and firmness would be?

True142:

Did you happen to look at the foam under the center insert on the upholstery? If you did, is it flat or ribbed to match the ribs in the insert. If the latter, that could make cutting a new piece more interesting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Neil,

I'll see what I can find on good suppliers for foam. Some years ago I toke some seats apart and from what I remember the centre piece was a combination from foam and a kind of horse hair. I have one more seat in my store, I'll have alook tommorow if I can make photos.

Regards,

Mathieu.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I didnt pull the center portion of the cover off, but since I have not tossed it out yet, I can do that next time I'm over at the shop.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is the foam used in the last type of seats in the 240 series and can never be used for a 140 serie seat.

Regards,

Mathieu.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Neil,

I asked on a Dutch forum and one came with this company: http://www.dominiquescholtes.nl/
Seems that they are very good, prhaps you can send them an e-mail.

Regards,

Mathieu.
I may give them a try. I am coming to the conclusion that if you are going to fool with vintage Volvos, particularly 140s, Dutch as a second language would be useful. The Netherlands appears to be at the epicenter of vintage Volvo activity.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dutch as a second language would be useful. The Netherlands appears to be at the epicenter of vintage Volvo activity.
Hi Neil,

Here you can start: http://www.speakdutch.co.uk/ . Indeed you can call the Netherlands an epicentre for the vintage volvo community! There are a lot of small companies active and there is a very active vintage Volvo club. They organize also trips all around the world for the Dutch enthusiasts, in 2005 about 60 cars were shipped to the USA went from coast to coast by the route 66. Some photos:http://www.fredpostma.nl/diverse-volvo-reizen-route-66-05 In 2008 they went to Beijng, some great photos: http://www.fredpostma.nl/diverse-volvo-reizen-bant-to-beijing-08 . Last year they went to the Northcape: http://www.volvokv.nl/index.php?opt...-2014&catid=240:reisverslagen-zuid&Itemid=263 The club publish 6 time a year a glossy magazine. Another car that is very populair is the Citroen DS, I also own one, a 1970 DS 21 with fuel injection engine. Completely different than the Volvo but the same fun.

Regards,

Mathieu.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Northcape looked like a nice trip and closer to spare parts if you needed some. The Bant to Bejing looked more like an around the world in 80 days kind of odyssey! They drove through a fair amount of empty stuff. Did they have to drive home (that would be boring) or did they make alternate arrangements to ship the cars back?

·
Registered
52 Posts
So the foam under the center ribs is flat and the ribs are sewn into the cover.

Some final pictures of the seat.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for taking the time to post the photos. The fact that the foam is flat under the center section is good. It means that maybe I could take a VP cushion and build up the front edge to match the foam bolster on the OEM cushion. It looks like there is a layer of jute or something like that sandwiched between two layers of foam on the bottom cushion. I can't tell from the photos. Is that layer of jute just under the center section of the bottom cushion or does it go right across the bottom?

It looks like replacement of the bottom foam is going to be a little more complicated than I expected!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was thinking.. couldn't an upholstery shop make this cushion fairly easily? It's far in my future but I was thinking I'd like a bit stiffer leather seat when I address mine and I too have the leather seats.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was thinking.. couldn't an upholstery shop make this cushion fairly easily? It's far in my future but I was thinking I'd like a bit stiffer leather seat when I address mine and I too have the leather seats.
Absolutely Brandom and there are much much better types of foam these days. I have leather seats as well, and they are in pretty good shape so it will be awhile before I need to have them redone. However, I work for a company that designs and builds first and business class seats for aircraft and while it's not a high priority for me, I have been doing some research into the tech we use for cushion design and material selection. The most obvious is that there are materials you can put into a car that you cannot put on an aircraft due to the flammability properties. Whenever I come up with a solution to my seats, I will surely post it here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts