SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The title pretty much sums it up... Whenever I turn on my rear defroster I get very weak FM radio reception. I know I'm going to get a couple responses of "just stop using the defroster" or "live with it" but I'm looking for alternative fixes. I THINK the problem is in the grid in the rear window. I've also read some similar threads for other vehicles where the heat cycling creates hairline fractures in the rear windshield shorting the FM antenna out. If anyone has some thoughts or ideas i'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance

Update 12-20-12:
Short Story: broken defroster conductor = EMI = no radio reception

Long Story:
After reading about people having problems with rear defrosters on subarus causing a very similar problem I decided to check out the rear defroster. I had a static sticker in my rear window that was slowly browning. I attributed this to sun damage, but as it turns out I managed to short across two of the conductors for the defroster frying my sticker. The sticker is your typical static cling sticker, I'm not sure how it was conductive enough to allow me to short anything. The short caused one of my defroster lines to have an open in it causing EMI for the antenna which is at one with the defroster. My window was leaking whether through a small crack or a bad gasket, so I had the rear window replaced with a $0 deductible through my insurnace. An alternative solution is to identify the bad conductor and then the location of the break with a volt meter. Use conductive paint to bridge the gap and that should take care of it.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I know when my AM reception goes static I can turn on the Rear Defroster and it will clear it up. There is a TNN for this fix which I need to get when I get tired of pressing the Rear Defroster. But FM reception I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
No the OP is right I have it happen as well, never did understand why. Then again where I live I really shouldn't use it lol.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Mine has happened ever since I got the tint installed. If I turn on my defroster when there's condensation, it goes crazy. I'm wondering if the tint shop installed the cheapo metallic type of tint which is illegal in NH... Hopefully not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine has happened ever since I got the tint installed. If I turn on my defroster when there's condensation, it goes crazy. I'm wondering if the tint shop installed the cheapo metallic type of tint which is illegal in NH... Hopefully not.
I read that installing a tint on the rear window can impair the signal for the FM antenna, especially if it's metallic as you said. I don't have a tint installed on my car, but it sounds like this problem is more common than I thought.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have this same problem. I had this issue with and without my tint.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't really use the radio in my SR, but my last car had horrible reception after I got the windows tinted. I ended up getting an aftermarket amplified windshield mounted antenna that worked incredibly well. Just thought I'd throw that out there as an alternative option.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Go aftermarket FM antenna adapter, like technicalminded did. I had one in my other car because I shaved off the antenna and welded in the hole, went to the local rice auto parts store and bought a 30$ powered FM internal antenna, mounted it under my passenger side flip visor on the windshield, connected the ground, connected the power to the 2nd on accessory switch - completely out of site and works fine!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts