SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

FM Modulator : V50

969 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  MarkE 
#1 ·
Done to death, I know, but I've searched through the various posts and I can't see the answer anywhere.

Wiring in an FM modulator for my Harman/Kardon D+P. As has been commented on before, the AFM on the V50 is not underneath the RH side window so I can't see anywhre to connect via the 9V plug method people have described.

I can see a connection box up at the top of the window which seems to have 3 wires going to it but it's way way back behind the headlining (like you'd have to remove the headlining to get to it) and right next to the airbag curtain scary bits.

I see a pair of wires coming down the rearmost pillar from the direction of the antenna - a central orange wire twisted with a black/blue wire. Am I correct in thinking that the orange wire corresponds to the tip of a Motorola antenna plug and the black/blue corresponds to the outer shroud?

If so, I have a Motorola extension which I have cut in half to give me a plug on a short lead and a socket on a short lead. I can then cut the twisted pair of wires in the car, solder the plug onto one end and the socket onto the other and connect to the H/K FM modulator this way.

I think.

See less See more
#2 ·
Scratch that - looks like I was looking at the airbag curtain wires. Oops.

OK, so there's a pair of black mini-coax leads coming down in the same bundle, if I understand correctly from other posts then I can splice into either of these to connect the modulator?

#7 ·
Sunny now but I'm waiting until next weekend now to do the job. I'll take some photos as I go along and post a RHD V50 version of the installation guide.

At least taking the bits out of the car will be quicker next time - an hour to figure out the correct sequence for removing everything from the offside off the boot and then actually remove it. 5 minutes to do the other side. 15 minutes to put everything back again. Total number of plastic clips broken : 3

#8 ·
Couldn't wait so got cracking on taking bits of the car out again - on the plus side it took a lot less time. On the minus side I was too excited to take any photos.

Got the antenna patch leads in and connected up. FM modulator is hidden away behind the driver's side carpet in the boot. Routed the audio lead extension down the driver's side of the polystyrene boot tray and behind the rear door sill protectors. It emerges next to the driver's seat.

The D&P "brain" will sit under the driver's seat, next to the floor vent. This way, I can tap into the back seat 12V socket for the power feed.

Tested the sound quality before I put everything back together - because you know it's coming through an FM modulator you can hear the difference compared to a CD but if you told your passengers they were listening to a CD I doubt they'd be able to tell the difference.

Still to find homes for the rest of the bits but once that's done it's just a matter of tidying the cables away. Groovy.

The only reason I can think for h/k saying that the kit wouldn't work with the Volvo is that you can't plug it straight in without making up the adaptor leads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.