SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day my clutch just stayed on the floor.

after 2 weeks and $1400, Indie says I "SHOULD" get a new flywheel. What is my cheapest option?

is 850 flywheel an option here?

Super thanks in advance!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, indie states that the fly wheel is burnt and the issue there is that it may damage the new clutch and/or create noise. Any experience with this at all? Should I be really hesitant about the OEM flywheel?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Also, indie states that the fly wheel is burnt and the issue there is that it may damage the new clutch and/or create noise. Any experience with this at all? Should I be really hesitant about the OEM flywheel?
Yes,

A dual mass flywheel as fitted on your S60 can have damaged internal springs, which may cause portions of the flywheel from not contacting the clutch disc. If this happens, you'll experience clutch slippage, since the clutch disc's friction material does not fully contact the flywheel surface.

We've seen many dual mass flywheel failures, for cars with as little as 40,000 miles. Volvo always recommends inspecting the flywheel when replacing the clutch.

Here's some info on checking the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...eel-for-M66!&p=1883472&viewfull=1#post1883472

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
messaged

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Andunny, there if a few things that you need to know. Our car has a dual mass flywheel that most of the time can be resurface with the correct shop, like i did. The important point to check is how much travel the dual mass has on the parts and also axial. That will tell you if is worth to resurface or not.

You can get also a single mass flywheel from a 850R and use the clutck kit too, you will need to order the slave cylinder because the 850R is external. Dont have to worry about anything else.

resurface done.

before resurface

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys :)

Most likely going to go with the 850R as long as the already purchased OEM clutch kit works with it. Done a bit of research on here and all the across the pond forums and from what my simple mind understands is that it is going to be a bit punchier in rpm in 1st and 2nd but easier to stall from a full stop and make some sort of noise when I have the clutch in lest it breaks in correctly... which is 50% luck. Correct me if I'm wrong :p

This is my daily driver so it sees its share of stop lights but I have an amazing commute to work where I can hit 90 - 100 if everything is perfect. I still haven't read of anyone horrifically bad mouthing the idea. Some people swear its the same as stock. Most times people kept the old flywheel :)

That resurface looks great imo

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
850R flywheel isnt going to work with the clutch/pressure plate for the dual mass s60 setup.

on your 01 it should have the same spline count as the 850 disk though, so that means the 850R clutch kit and 850R flywheel would be a direct replacement for the dual mass s60 setup.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Andunny didnt understand your comment, did you order a clutch alredy?. As impulse said. You need to get the clutch kit 272218 and get the 850R single mass flywheel 9454774 and you are ready to go. You can also order the single mass flywheel online from a used online store or ebay, you can resurface that one without any problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts