SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took off my flywheel to change the rear main seal and didn't mark it's orientation. Upon reassembly the motor has a significant vibration at low idle. I'm assuming I got the flywheel clocked out of balance.

Are there any sort of factory markings I can look for to align the flywheel correctly? Or do I just need to try the other 5 positions and see what runs smoothest?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
Flywheel or flex plate? Stick or automatic? I have never heard of a flywheel being out of alignment and I was a owner/tech of a tranny shop for many years. However, with an automatic, torque converters are balanced and have to be bolted back up at the original position sometimes.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah, flywheels are usually balanced to themselves and can't do what you're describing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, interesting. I did convert to a double downpipe exhaust manifold & a glasspack. So essentially zero exhaust restriction. I didn't think that would make such a drastic change to the low idle, but now that I think about it it does make sense.

While I read the forums extensively I rarely post, and didn't think to introduce myself or my car.

I'm Robert from Austin Texas and I have a 1966 220 with a B18 and a 4 speed. I have a B20 in pieces that I have dreams of rebuilding when I can afford it, and I have an M41 waiting on the acquisition of a shorter driveshaft.

The weber carb has always run rich and the fumes with the new free flow exhaust are pretty brutal. I've ordered a high altitude jet kit which should arrive any day now. Hopefully with proper Jetting and a freshly tuned idle I can get rid of the 700rpm rumble.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
Get the M41 in there as soon as you can. A heavy duty truck driveline shop did my driveshaft for a little over a hundred bucks.

I also went from a B18 to a B20. 200 CC is only 12.2 cubic inches so it's not a real huge difference. Worth doing if the B18 needs a rebuilt for sure. But knowing what I know now my old B18 with the M41 would have been fine for me. (I ain't racing)

I'd get some SUs on that thing and throw that Weber hunk of junk in the scrap pile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts