SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to love this car, but it's making it really hard.

Flushed my V50 T5's brake and clutch hydraulics with ATE Type 200. While flushing the clutch I let the level dip below the line for the clutch master, ugh, ok, so I rebled it until I got no bubbles.

Got into the car and pedal sounds like a squeegee, feels like one too, nowhere near as smooth as it was. I figure I've still got some air in the lines, rebleed, same thing, reverse bleed, same thing, very confident now that there's not air in the lines.

Took the car for a spin and clutch engagement feels like it's at the same height it was before so I'm pretty sure there's no air causing this problem, but the pedal still has this notchy-squeaky-terrible feeling to it.

Some research online suggests this could be the result of some characteristic of ATE Type 200, though I'm still skeptical. Tomorrow I'll likely try flushing a different DOT4 fluid through and see if that makes any difference.

If anyone has experienced this please chime in, otherwise I hope this can be of some help to someone in the future that runs into the same nonsense.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have been using ATE200 for last 2 years, never experienced issues you are mentioning. If anything, changing "normal" DOT4 to ATE200 felt better, but its probably because fluid refresh.
Did you bled out clutch CSC as per tutorial from this forum?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I use ATE 200 with no issues at all. The squeak could be coincidence, based on disturbing things from the full-stroke pedal movement during bleeding.

The original clutch master cylinder's plunger in the older cars is made of plastic, and this could be rubbing. It's really hard to see but if you can get your head under the pedal cluster and look upwards, you'll find it up toward the top. Try hitting it with a little WD40 and see if the sound changes.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried lubricating the shaft, as well as some pedal pivot points, no difference.

It was smooth as could be before I got into this, then the first press after the new fluid and it squeaked right away, so it definitely seems related to the fluid.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pentosin fluid in, still squeaks though it feels a little better...I think? Also the plastic bleeder got stuck and I managed to strip that so that's pretty mangled now. Why is that plastic again??

All in all a huge pain, and for a now squeaky clutch pedal that did not squeak before, ugh. Guess I'll redo the hydraulics when the clutch goes *shrug*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts