SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Modified my side markers. Messed it up in the process but now I'll know how to do it again.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Awesome. Did you fabricate them yourself?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Did you fabricate them yourself?
Yes you have to buy mini motorcycle led turn signals, trim them to fit... Cut the back of the side marker, the rounded side... Slide in the led strip and solder the wire onto your old socket :) I'm going to redo this side because I cracked the plastic trying to get in through there, if anyone knows how to let me know but that is why I just cut the back

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Kind of self explanatory.
1. Get your marker and cut open the wide side on the back, you may be able to hot knife it apart and then silicone it back together but not the route I went, I did not want to attempt taking it apart and risk breaking it again.

2. Grab your "mini motorcycle led turn signal" and file down the edges, round them off on the sides, the side that will be closest to the pointed part of the marker will be filed pretty close to the led chip as seen in pic #2 and #4.

Also from the back of the led board you may have to cut it like pic #3, I did this by accident while shaving down the back a bit so that it was a thinner overall piece.

3. Grab a heatgun, heat up the strip a bit so that you can put a slight bend to it. If you don't, you may crack the marker housing

4. Route the wires through the back, solder it on to the oem type connector and seal up the back... I will use some silicone in a bit, temporary setup with electrical tape!

And done!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Purchased the flowing mini strips from eBay. Available way cheaper from China eBay sellers but of course you'll wait a while. Picture posted here is a USA seller. I purchased from US and bought some from China just because :) so I'll have extra. Anyway, these type are the kind you want to use, I tried some others a friend gave me but the chip was too wide and the leds pointed upwards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts