SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Question, my husband and I have quadruplet 12 year olds and will be traveling and hopefully participating in OSD next year in the end of May. We understand that we will get two tickets.
The prices for SAS tickets for the 4 children is outrageous at this point, compared to other airlines.
Does anyone know if:
1. The OSD program will cover flights to Norway -some of the flights to Oslo from the west coast US on SAS are way cheaper than to GOT. We can then take a bus to Gothenburg.
2. The OSD program gives a blanket amount of money to cover flights and perhaps we can fly economy/cheap seats to cover 3 or 4 of us?
3. If we find SAS tickets cheap on KAYAK (or equivalent), will the Volvo travel agent work with us in finding other seats on the same flight?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The way it worked for us was to downgrade from Economy+ to regular Economy and then see what Volvo would cover. They decide based on what it would cost 2 people on E+ on the specific flight you want, and that would be the maximum they would cover. If the price of 2 Econ+ round trip tickets on the particular flight you pick costs $5,000, then they would cover as many regular economy tickets adding up to $5,000 or less. Choosing a cheaper flight won’t necessarily get them to cover more tickets because it depends on the price of 2 Econ+ tickets for that particular flight, if that makes sense.

For us, they’re covering 3 of us flying to Copenhagen, where we will stay a couple days, and then our flights to GOT. They wouldn’t cover the 4th person because it would have gone over the cost of 2 people on Econ+.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can fly into Oslo as SAS has flights there. Might also look at Stockholm. Then easy train over to Gothenburg. I would use train travel rather than bus travel. Much more comfortable. Looks like the train goes from Oslo to GOT a few times a day approx $33 ea pax. Look at man in seat 61 for all train travel. It is really helpful. Schedule, pictures of the interiors, stations & how to change trains if needed

https://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Oslo.htm#Oslo_to_Copenhagen

quadruplets! Wow. I am assuming it's the XC90 for you!

·
Registered
119 Posts
These were similar questions to what we had when we began our OSD planning 9 months ago (albeit with 2 kids instead of 4).

Initially our plans were to fly to GOT, pick up the car, drive through Europe sort of counterclockwise, and drop off in Munich. After reading how flexible Volvo Travel had been to many contributors in this forum, we figured we could negotiate our itinerary without too much out of pocket for airfares. But the best they could offer was to pay for our 2 tickets to GOT and then return from Copenhagen. Munich to Copenhagen and all tickets for the kids would be on our dime. I also tried to see if Volvo would pay for just Economy for all of us but that was still too high.

After some back and forth with the travel agent, I realized that I should have asked from the beginning the cost of round trip SAS Economy Plus tickets to GOT because that seemed to be the figure the agent was trying to stay below.

So in the end, we re-routed our European road trip clockwise to finish in Amsterdam instead of Munich, and Volvo agreed to pay for 2 Economy Plus fares (US-GOT and Amsterdam-US) and we paid $2000 per child. That was more than I anticipated paying for the kids after reading other posts here. But in all fairness, the OSD program only promises to pay for 2 round trip tickets to Gothenburg. Perhaps the others were just lucky or much better negotiators.

P.S. I wanted to ask if we could bring the kids over in the cargo hold but my wife wouldn't let me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the recommendations and sharing your own experiences. Yes, no other option but the XC90 for us! My husband may be interested in the cargo area for himself, he is adventurous like that...

·
Registered
22 Posts
We just booked our OSD trip for August including our 2 kids. We're also getting an XC90!
Volvo was willing to paying for 3 Economy tickets if it didn't exceed the cost of 2 Premium tickets on SAS or BA. Corp Travel was great and tried to book SAS flights as they have a 25% discount on kids tickets but we ended up going with British Airways as we're flying out of Seattle (sadly no kids discount on BA). We wanted to include London in our trip and they have non-stops to London from Seattle. SAS would have required an additional stop to a larger US hub which would mean more travel time which was not worth it for us even though there were some savings. The BA Economy tickets ended up being almost as much as Premium with our itinerary so after many iterations and back and forth with Travel, we just ended up purchasing the 2 tickets for our kids. We figure at least we're getting 2 flights for free plus a unique opportunity to go to Sweden (when else would we get to do the Factory Tour and Oresund Bridge!) and hopefully a lifetime of memories.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Hi,
Question, my husband and I have quadruplet 12 year olds and will be traveling and hopefully participating in OSD next year in the end of May. We understand that we will get two tickets.
The prices for SAS tickets for the 4 children is outrageous at this point, compared to other airlines.
Does anyone know if:
1. The OSD program will cover flights to Norway -some of the flights to Oslo from the west coast US on SAS are way cheaper than to GOT. We can then take a bus to Gothenburg.
2. The OSD program gives a blanket amount of money to cover flights and perhaps we can fly economy/cheap seats to cover 3 or 4 of us?
3. If we find SAS tickets cheap on KAYAK (or equivalent), will the Volvo travel agent work with us in finding other seats on the same flight?

Thanks for any input!
It will be a trip you and your family will be talking about for years and years......have fun with the planning!

·
Registered
133 Posts
When we went in 2016 it was only with one kid. It was going to be something like $2k with SAS for him in an economy seat or about $900 with Delta (MSP-AMS-GOT) with one less stop. There was nothing about a "blanket amount of money" for flights so we had to pay for him even though it was going to be much cheaper overall.

If you have Volvo book the kids' flights (it'll be on a separate itinerary), make sure an adult is included in that itinerary as the airline may end up canceling the reservation as had happened to us. Turns out they don't like it when it looks like a 3 year old is traveling alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts