SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
00 V70 GLT<p>When I brake the oil light flickers, and is sometimes solid for a few seconds. I ONLY does it while braking and usually turns off when I come to a full stop. The wire on the oil sender is good, there is plenty of oil. <p>Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: Flickering Oil Light (blown240)

The symptom IS awfull lot like your oil is too low. I see that you told that it's enough oil, but please double check. Does it happen on sharp turns, or when accelerating hard? What if you rev the eng while stand still, and then drop RPM to idle, any flickering then?<br>This is a nasty problem, you can loose the engine to it<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by d_man at 6:32 PM 6-6-2006</i>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Flickering Oil Light (d_man)

I will double check the level. It ONLY does it while braking. Never cornering, or accelerating.

·
Registered
799 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>blown240</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will double check the level. It ONLY does it while braking. Never cornering, or accelerating.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Which, if it's truly a low oil condition, would indicate that the pickup is probably somewhere in the rear of the oil pan, possibly the center.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is some more info. The light only comes on when the motor drops to idle. It turns off as soon as I give it a little gas. The car has plenty of oil. There is even a little splashed up by the oil filler cap. There is NO lifter noise.<p>maybe I will try the sender before I take it somewhere.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: (blown240)

...which to me is an indication of low oil pressure. Could be caused by a worn out engine or a faulty oil pump (more likely). Try to get actual reading for the pressure (not just the light). I think you should go to an indy shop and have it checked

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (d_man)

Plugged screen or failing oil pump. See to this ASAP

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

Tow it and don't drive it to the nearest Volvo shop you trust. It sounds like there is either a blockage of sorts or maybe even your oil pump is unhappy.<p>Now the main question will be...how much damage has been done already?<p>Let's hope you've been unsing synthetic oils...if so you should be alright. I drove my T5 (years ago) with no oil pressure for well over 150 miles. Car still runs great to this day.<p>Good luck and cheers!<br>Prospero

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: Flickering Oil Light (Prospero)

I agree w/ the others, it's probably an oil pump going south. You can change the oil, and go up a viscosity grade, and see if that solves the problem, or at least decreases the frequency/duration of the flickering. If that happens, it's more than likely the oil pump. Get it taken care of PDQ

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: Flickering Oil Light (Mk1Racer)

I advise to go straight to the shop, DO NOT try to fix it yourself with oil viscousity change, ain't gonna work. The more you drive it and more things you try - the less chances you get to keep your engine. It's a gamble, and you are always the looser in this game. Get it fixed by a mechanic (or yourself, if you can do mechanical job and run proper diagnostics)

·
Registered
773 Posts

One possible problem is the oil seals between the pan and the block. Normally, when these start to go, you are supposed to hear some noise from the head, not enough lubrication for the cams and lifters. Even if that is not the case, once the pan is off, it would be wise to replace these two seals.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: Flickering Oil Light (wizzard_al)

I don't think these seals are any relevant, they may contribute to oil leak, but not to low pressure.<br>Replacing that seal is adifferent issue, never hurts to replace a once-used seal/gasket

·
Registered
799 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>d_man</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I advise to go straight to the shop, DO NOT try to fix it yourself with oil viscousity change, ain't gonna work. The more you drive it and more things you try - the less chances you get to keep your engine. It's a gamble, and you are always the looser in this game. Get it fixed by a mechanic (or yourself, if you can do mechanical job and run proper diagnostics) </TD></TR></TABLE><p>I simply suggested he try the viscosity increase as a diagnostic tool, not an ultimate fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts

HI, a newbie here with a 2000 V70 XC that had this EXACT same problem. I took it to the dealer (it was still under warranty, and it too the 3 tries to figure out what the problem was. After replacing the oil sending sensor, the the oil pump, it turned out to be the "oil pick up seals". They replaced those and I haven't had the problem since! Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts