SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I found a '97 855R Red/Tan outside of Philly at the beginning of this month. I finally got a shop night, junk yard run, and a wash in so now I figured I'd start a thread to share with you folks and help organize this project.

History

I don't have too much detail, just a few records found in the glove box and the service history from Carfax. If someone has a carfax hook up to get a full report, I would be very grateful!

First Owner '97 to '07: I was told it was a family primarily driven by the lady of the house. Routine servicing every 2-4 months at Volvo Fort Washington north of Philadelphia.

• 5/98 - 5k mile service
  • 9/98 - 10k mile service
  • 1/99 - 15k mile service
  • 5/99 - 20k mile service
  • 8/99 - 30k mile service
  • 11/99 - 35k mile service
  • 3/00 - 40k mile service
  • 8/00 - 45k mile service
  • 6/01 - 55k miles service
  • 10/01 - 60k mile service
  • 12/01 - 65k mile service
  • 5/02 - 70k mile service
  • 8/02 - 75k mile service
  • 4/03 - 80k mile service
  • 11/03 - 85k mile service
  • 5/04 - 90k mile service
  • 3/06 - 108k inspected
  • 2/07 - 118k inspected

Second Owner '07 to '20: The gentleman I purchased the car form actually worked at Volvo of FW and knew the original owner. When the OO traded this car in, he purchased it before it hit the used lot and gave it to his son who was 17 at the time. His son drove it and eventually took it to college in Philadelphia, which if you don't know is not the best place for cars, nor are they really a necessity there. So the 2nd owner took the car back from his son some time ago and was daily driving it until he decided to let it go.

• 1/08 - 121k inspected
  • 2/09 - 125k inspected
  • 6/09 - 126k brakes done
  • 11/10 - 131k service
  • 3/12 - 134k inspected
  • 2/13 - 2.6k inpected - Odom replaced and set to zero with sticker on the drivers door jamb (I'll get a photo when I can)
  • 2/14 - 7k inspected
  • 3/15 - 14k inspected
  • 3/16 - 20k inspected
  • 2/17 - 27k inspected
  • 2/18 - 36k inspected
  • 7/18 - 40k inspected in NJ
  • 2/19 - had a bunch work done, I found a receipt in the glove box that I'll have to update this post with the info

Third Owner:

• 2/20 - 44k sold to myself and back to PA!

Things to do
Oh man where to begin...no particular order, but if you folks have recommendations on what order to go about doing things and recommendations on parts please feel free to post links and opinions!
  • <s>Oil and filter change for sure.
    </s>
    • Done!
  • <s>Wash, clay, cut the paint, wax - half way done, ran out of light yesterday...</s>
    • Done!
  • <s>Restore trim - thinking of heat gun method, but I need to sand out some scuffs. If not heat, then I had great experience painting these on the T-5R I had</s>
    • Removed and painted!
  • <s>Coolant leaking from Turbo inlet hose/pipe - just got one from a JY, going to hopefully replace that and sort the cooling system out tomorrow night</s>
    • turns out it was just a bad hose clamp....still a better condition pipe and new hose and clamp can't hurt
  • <s>possible internal oil leak from turbo - evidence is oil coming from intercooler inlet pipe a rebuild may be in order, but I'd like to know what you guys think</s>
    • The bearings in the CHRA were shot. Could hear the grinding once removed. It was leaking oil into the compressor housing that made its way all the way to the bottom of the intercooler. So I took all that off and washed it out while I was in there.
  • <s>Drivers side axle is shot</s>
    • Axle replaced
  • <s>leaky axle seals - Passenger side still needs replaced</s>
    • Drivers side done
  • <s>shot ball joint on front passenger control arm, kind of stinks to have to purchase an entire new control arm</s>
    • Completed
  • appears to have a small leak from drivers front strut...no surprise being a city car. Snagged practically brand new Bilstein Touring struts 22-230959 at the JY over the weekend. Could use new strut mounts though. Question: swap springs or does it matter? Struts came off a '95 850 turbo
  • If I do the front suspension, I am kind of leaning towards doing the rear, but I don't know enough about Nivomats...thoughts?
  • 302mm brake upgrade - part recommendations with links would be much appreciated!
  • <s>I'll need 17s for the 302s</s>
    • Got a good set of Canistos, Volans will have to be sourced later
  • <s>Tire recommendations?</s> Looks like we are going for zLine AS - thanks folks
  • cracked front bumper...there is a lot of good resources out there, so I will be attempting this one over the summer
  • <s>need a rear wing and roof rails/trim</s> - I'll need paint for the bumper repair so the wing will get sourced and P.T.M.
    • got a rear wing and xc/v70 style roof rails
  • rear bumper could use some love too...city cars
  • 3 dents, one in each rear QP and one in the roof...Low priority at this point
  • the interior could use some love - back seats are okay, but the fronts are not too great. Advice on restoring these would be great, alcan and leather restoration techniques?
  • The carpets have turned pink...I WILL find a way to get these back to a more acceptable color! If anyone has done it, please let me know!
  • headliner has begun to sag - I've done a Sedan headline so I am not too worried, but I an very nervous about the sun roof trim. I practiced at the JY and broke the only one in the yard :facepalm:
  • The dash is so squeaky it is painful, looks like P.O. stuck pieces of leather into the edges to try and get it to stop...I'll take it apart eventually
  • Tracs light is constantly on, speedo works intermit - Bad ABS Mod. Will have to contact midwest ABS and get a replacement. - Thanks Tired
  • Had a CEL for Crank position sensor P-0336 A circuit range/performance - any thoughts? I cleared it and I'll see if it comes back
  • Need a new exhaust tip - got get that square SS or if someone knows of a really good looking alternative I'm all ears
  • 9 series steering wheel and air bag. I found one for $25, but I am not ready for it. Perhaps I'll get one and send it to Viva G for the rewrap, or try it myself?

Pictures

I am not the best photography..I do not have a nice camera.. these are pretty bad cell phone pictures, but they're something to look at! Maybe I'll put that on my to do list

On the trailer home

Home!

Shop Night

Needs brakes all around

<s>Ball Joint</s> Done

<s>Drivers Side Axle</s> Done

<s>Coolant Inlet to Turbo</s> Done

<s>passenger side axle seal</s> Done

Intercooler inlet...any thoughts?

JY Score

Needs a wash

When I cut the paint, it's going to look really nice...

Also, check these out!

Until next time folks!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Very good work sir!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Those Volvo tire valve caps are pure class

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Shop Night 2

Replaced turbo coolant inlet pipe, hose, and clamps. No more coolant leak and the system is holding pressure!

However, it seems to burning some serious oil...at least veryone at the shop is telling me it is oil. After pressure testing, we started it up to check everything out and it had a significant amount of smoke coming from the tail pipe. being dark, I couldn't tell if it was blue or white, but the turbo was also smoking a considerable amount. This was foreseen considering it is covered in dry oil build up.

At this point I am operating on the assumption of the turbo being the source of the problem (most likely the original and never being serviced). Mostly because I'd rather tackle a turbo then a head gasket. I'll be testing the head gasket next shop night just to put my mind at ease....if it is blwn this project be seriously turned on it's head.

So....I need some help.

Problem One:

What turbo was OEM for '97 850Rs? Mitsubishi TD04 15g, TD04HL 15g? What are the differences between these?

Replace or rebuild? My shop time is limited..it's only in the evenings, mostly a 4 to 5 hour window and I must be able to drive out that night.

With shop limitations, could I purchased a used turbo from a junk yard and rebuild that, then drop it in? ~$25 for a jy turbo + rebuild cost Which other 850/vsx70 would have a compatible turbo?

Or get a new CHRA and swap it in a night? The cost for a CHRA is about the same as a rebuild from a local turbo shop. ~$350+

Problem Two:

Noticed on the way home, my speedometer and trip computer were not working. Still backlit, but no movement on the speedo needle and trip computer read 0 or ----. However the temp read accurately at a brisk 44F. Related to TRACS light? ABS Mod needing replaced?

Side note, took the new canisto wheels to the shop to remove the old tires. They should clean up nicely!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Looks like the start of something sick! I want those valve caps

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black

·
Registered
623 Posts
Shop Night 2

Replaced turbo coolant inlet pipe, hose, and clamps. No more coolant leak and the system is holding pressure!

However, it seems to burning some serious oil...at least veryone at the shop is telling me it is oil. After pressure testing, we started it up to check everything out and it had a significant amount of smoke coming from the tail pipe. being dark, I couldn't tell if it was blue or white, but the turbo was also smoking a considerable amount. This was foreseen considering it is covered in dry oil build up.

At this point I am operating on the assumption of the turbo being the source of the problem (most likely the original and never being serviced). Mostly because I'd rather tackle a turbo then a head gasket. I'll be testing the head gasket next shop night just to put my mind at ease....if it is blwn this project be seriously turned on it's head.

So....I need some help.

Problem One:

What turbo was OEM for '97 850Rs? Mitsubishi TD04 15g, TD04HL 15g? What are the differences between these?

Replace or rebuild? My shop time is limited..it's only in the evenings, mostly a 4 to 5 hour window and I must be able to drive out that night.

With shop limitations, could I purchased a used turbo from a junk yard and rebuild that, then drop it in? ~$25 for a jy turbo + rebuild cost Which other 850/vsx70 would have a compatible turbo?

Or get a new CHRA and swap it in a night? The cost for a CHRA is about the same as a rebuild from a local turbo shop. ~$350+

Problem Two:

Noticed on the way home, my speedometer and trip computer were not working. Still backlit, but no movement on the speedo needle and trip computer read 0 or ----. However the temp read accurately at a brisk 44F. Related to TRACS light? ABS Mod needing replaced?

Side note, took the new canisto wheels to the shop to remove the old tires. They should clean up nicely!

I would do a warm compression test to further eliminate the head gasket theory, has there been evidence of coolant consumption since you fixed the leak at the turbo?

As far as the turbo, 850R's came with a 15g straight flange. All p80 15g's you find should be the same (except the exhaust housing, but you can use the one on your current turbo for peace of mind). I think the HL vs L difference is only applicable on the different size td04 based turbos (13g/15g/16t/18t etc.), but that's based on an old VS article (http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/151354-modifying-my-td04hl-16t-to-be-an-18t/#comments) so I'm sure someone can confirm/deny that.

It isn't difficult at all to swap housings around with the turbo off, but it seems to be a wash between cost of a rebuilt junkyard turbo and swapping in a new CHRA. I'd go with whichever saves the most time for you (probably junkyard rebuild).

Those nistos look rad btw

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info and the link Zoinks. I probably will go with a JY Turbo Rebuild, or at least experiment with one then decide. I have been researching none stop about Mit Heavy Industries Turbos so I am a little over loaded with info.

Found a great link to a rebuild here.

Looking through MHI catalog, I can't find a "TD04-15G". The first numbers represent the housing and second represents the compressor wheel. There are two variants in the catalog, TD04 and TD04H. Within the TD04, the only models associated to Volvo are TD04L, never calling out a 15G compressor wheel. The TD04H variant has only one 15G compressor wheel model but 4 different sub-models. Thankfully, 2 are replacements for the other 2, so only 2 sub-models really. Only different between these two TD04HL-15G are the part numbers for the turbine housing and bearing housing, which means the CHRA is slightly different. I wonder if this has to do with which coolant ports are tapped? Thankfully the service kits are both of these are identical.

The Catalog if you'd like to take a look MHI Catalog

Either way, I am going to operate on the assumption that my 850R has a TD04HL-15G with a straight flange turbine housing. So like Zoinks said I should be able to pull any 15G out of a 850T and go from there. I think '96 was the cross over year to the straight flange, so 96+ will get a preference I guess.

Nice find, OP!
The canistos will be an improvement for sure, but I'd be looking hard for Volans.
They will look nice enough, I just needed something for a 302 upgrade! The Volan hunt is going to be put on hold until I get this thing mechanically stable.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Check ebay or Amazon. I think I had a set come with some center caps I bought.
I definitely did me a look and didn't find these specific black iron logo ones, very slick. Did you find them?

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely did me a look and didn't find these specific black iron logo ones, very slick. Did you find them?

I should have saved the valve steam surprise for later hahaha

I don't know these sights, but here are a bunch of Volvo labeled valve steams.

https://www.amazon.com/Harvard-Parts-Tire-Valve-Volvo/dp/B00HZ0D9SS

https://natalexauto.com/products/4p...MIx-PSqIrh5wIVBb7ACh2jHAtmEAQYAiABEgLhNPD_BwE

https://www.wish.com/product/5c04f1...MIx-PSqIrh5wIVBb7ACh2jHAtmEAQYBiABEgK8a_D_BwE

https://zspecdesign.com/chrome-valve-stem-caps-fits-volvo/

·
Registered
921 Posts
I should have saved the valve steam surprise for later hahaha

I don't know these sights, but here are a bunch of Volvo labeled valve steams.
Hahaha sorry! The Natalex auto one was the winner. You may now continue with your build thread

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hahaha sorry! The Natalex auto one was the winner. You may now continue with your build thread

Ahh I didn't look close enough at the logo! I got the Zspec Design ones for my 240 haha

·
Registered
50 Posts
ABS mod, get a swap from Midwest Abs. I’m dealing with the same issue right now.

Shop Night 2

·
Registered
15,471 Posts
Nice score. I was almost in on this for my mom.

rebuilding a turbo is a waste of time and $. just get a new CHRA. You can't rebuild it for what it costs to get a new one. seriously

Blank Zimmerman rotors all around for the 302s. no holes or slots or stuff. Techna fit lines, they're longer. Hawk pads are NLA so that's a problem. I am trying out Pagid next and then EBC yellow if those aren't awesome. ATE also acceptable if you never get the brakes super hot. NO CERAMIC PADS! They don't stop the car. Yes that includes Akebono. NO Akebono.

looking at anything good for tires? If you wanna join so many of us in the zLine AS rabbit hole (which obviously I would recommend) be careful ordering from Simple Tire like so many on here have done.....one of my friends just bought zLine AS from them and they were from 2016!!! That's not ok. Anywhere you order from ask what the date code is on the tires they have.

·
Registered
921 Posts
NO CERAMIC PADS! They don't stop the car. Yes that includes Akebono. NO Akebono.

If you wanna join so many of us in the zLine AS rabbit hole (which obviously I would recommend)
I just bought a kit from FCP with Brembo rotors and Akebono pads are they really that bad?

And people keep saying amazing things about zlines, you would think they were made out of vibranium or something

·
Registered
15,471 Posts
I just bought a kit from FCP with Brembo rotors and Akebono pads are they really that bad?

And people keep saying amazing things about zlines, you would think they were made out of vibranium or something

uh yeah they are.....we tried them on my dad's NAm. That car doesn't even go fast and he doesn't drive it that fast and he absolutely hated them. It just doesn't stop with those pads. He bought Hawks.

the zLine AS are comparable with the best UHP AS tires except way cheaper and way better ride quality. They also don't lose grip in the cold as quickly as most UHP AS tires. I mean if someone gave me a set of Michelin AS3+ or something I might run them but I just can't justify buying anything else with my own money with the insane value that zLine AS are. My PZero AS+ are grippy enough in the warm too but they were twice as expensive and the zLine AS have a huge advantage in every other category.

·
Registered
15,477 Posts
I love our zline AS. I’ve got them on the s60 (it was a pilot effort) and liked them so much I got them for the VR. I have a few things to do on the XC and even though they’re not the right size for it, so I’m running same sizes all across the fleet, I’ll probably put them on the pegs on that car too. They’re smooth and quiet, balance well, wear VERY evenly and well. Super lucky that we’ve had no snow to deal with as I’ve heard this is the only thing they fail on. Scottish and Jared pushed them so hard and it was almost hard to believe the cost comparison. However- next ones I get will be verifying date codes as mentioned, due to some weird stuff other members have dealt with. The only thing that’s a bummer is they come in some limited sizes. I tried to get a set for my Dad’s XJ8 and they don’t make them.
the zLine AS are comparable with the best UHP AS tires except way cheaper and way better ride quality. They also don't lose grip in the cold as quickly as most UHP AS tires. I mean if someone gave me a set of Michelin AS3+ or something I might run them but I just can't justify buying anything else with my own money with the insane value that zLine AS are. My PZero AS+ are grippy enough in the warm too but they were twice as expensive and the zLine AS have a huge advantage in every other category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 84 Posts