SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wife was getting on the interstate this morning, she noticed the CEL flashing at consistant intervals. I've had a p0410 and p0171 (can't find vac leaks and replaced MAF 5 months ago) for a while that I have yet to fix. I'll check to see what the codes are tonight.

Why does it flash? I'm guessing it's not good.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Re: Flashing CEL. Eek! (Beiner)

Sounds like the offending code is reaccuring and thus causing the light to blink and tell you to "back-off" some.

Now the codes tell me that you have a minimal leak, which could be anywhere. First off, do you feel a difference in the power of the car? What is your gas mileage?

I had a P0171 and a P0455 for the longest time. I replaced almost everthing known to man on my car, in part to remedy the issues and also to get more power in general. After a new turbo, all intercooler lines, MAF, airbox, cold air pipe into the turbo, filter, vacuum lines, vacuum tree, fuel pump cap & transport gaskets, fuel injectors, rail, lines, evap emissions parts, and so much more... Still had great gas mileage, both codes, and a huge turbo at this point. Still not getting much more past 12PSI of boost despite installing a K24 turbo, ECU, exhaust, fuel system, and more. Come to find out that there was a crack in my intercooler that was small enough to generate the code but not increase engine speed when hit with ether or gum cutter during many leak tests.

So I gusee what I am trying to say...don't overlook anything in your search. A good place to start is with a can of Berkable brand 2+2 Gum cutter from a good shop in your area. Most auto parts places do not sell this stuff...so try a local repair shop and offer them $5.00 for a can and then:

With the car running and the hood open, start spraying the gum cutter in the area around the intake side of the turbo and listen for any change in RPM. Start spraying around the intercooler hoses, vacuum lines, MAF, IC, and any other place where there are vacuum hoses or the like. If the RPM changes...then focus in that area a little more until you pinpoint the hose or fitting. From there...replace and call it a day.

Good luck and sorry about the long post. Oh, don't spray this on the hot parts...like the exhaust or hot side of the turbo!

Cheers,
Prospero

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Flashing CEL. Eek! (Prospero)

Ah yes the IC! OIC!
Never thought about that. The XC falls on it's face at about 4k RPM. That's the only detremental thing about the car. I get 28 mpg on highway and I'm thinking that's pretty good for AWD. Looks like I'll be spending some more intimate time with my mistress, Mrs. XC.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

If you ask me, it sounds like one of your hoses coming out of the turbo and supplying compressed air to the motor is leaking...but most likely only while under pressure. It will be a difficult one to find unless you can get the car to produce boost and then feel around for the blowing air.

You can also look for any oily spots in and around the hoses since that is the tell-tale sign.

I've simply taken off the hoses, one at a time, washed them in hot soapy water and then hosed them off in fresh water. Dry them off and then plug one end with a suitable device and then force water in to the other side...look for any leaks... Also, just make sure that all of the clamps are tight and not leaking from the point of connection.

I hope this helps. Good luck and cheers,
Prospero

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Flashing CEL. Eek! (Prospero)

Yeah, I rechecked the connections after I drove a few hundred miles with my Samco's They seem to be tight. What was loose was my fresh air connection to the intake side of the turbo. I tightened it and Viola! Still not fixed. Nor were there holes in the intake hose itself
I'm at my wit's end here.

Maybe I need more wits.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

Sounds like it's time to get the ether in there and start spraying around.

Let the chemicals do the work for you...

Good luck,
Prospero

1 - 6 of 6 Posts