SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a revival based on another thread that explained sound deadening, but those photos have long since died in the repair mod index.

I love the EST sport exhaust..but with a downpipe and cruising at 70-75 mph it was really starting to hurt. Another user on here said he's had a great deal of success with RAAMaudio sound deadening, so I decided to give it a shot. The stuff isn't too expensive next to dynamat, so what the hell. For reference, I got the 2 layer-package (BXTmat and PS ensolite). Its about 40 sq ft of both mats. The thicker, metal covered mat goes down first, and the foam goes on over that. They are both peel and stick so thats a plus. Each mat can also be cut easily with scissors so long as the adhesive backing is on, otherwise it gets messy with the adhesive.

Here's how it comes packaged. You get the foam in a roll and the sticky metal mat in sheets.

The metal mat is much more rigid, though still molds to corners and things nicely. The foam is a little more stretchy and flexible so you can get away with a little more.

Before starting it's advised to clean all the surfaces you'll be covering. I used isopropyl alcohol and a shop rag.

I decided to insulate the entire spare tire well, and the area behind that, all the way up to the rear seats. You can see how I removed the insulation and pulled it back. I decided not to cut that out because I didn't see any benefit to removing it.
I also did the area closest to the rear bumper, and beneath each cover of the VR tailgate. Each cover still sits flush. You'll see in the other photos.

Here I it is when I started placing the metal mat down first. The metal mat is extremely sticky so you must be sure of where you want to place it. You can see how easily it molds to the odd shapes of the tailgate. I opted to keep the wiring harness exposed, because you know if I covered that up, it'd need to be serviced next week.

And here the tailgate is basically done with the metal layer. You really don't need to be that precise as you can tell by my cuts. I also did the area behind the battery. The stuff is pretty easy to work with.

Next step is easy, just put the foam over the metal. The foam sticks very well to the metal mat, and has a soft, oddly aesthetically pleasing look.

And here it is all done! Notice how you can even insulate the cover with quite a bit of material and still have it sit flush. Each cover has a layer of the metal mat and the foam. Even with the rear chassis brace there's still clearance.

The effects are immediately noticeable. The noise is more confined to the front of the car, which is fine, and sitting in the back seats is now a bearable endeavor. The drone is not gone, but definitely reduced, and now at least bearable for me. Tolerance to drone, of course varies, and is subjective, but it would seem I have a rather low tolerance relative to the rest of you guys lol.

I wont be able to improve on this for a while, but when I visit home I'm going to apply a second layer of both the metal mat and the foam in the area behind the spare tire area up to the back seats. I'd do another layer in the spare well itself but I just put a full size spare in there and there is so little clearance it might not allow the the cover to sit flush.

I hope this helps and I'll edit this thread with anything I forgot as I remember. Feel free to pm me or ask questions.

:peace:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That looks super good, and way easy compared to when I did my Lexus SC 400 and pulled out the entire interior and sprayed 5 gallons of spectrum into it, plus 90 sq ft of dynamat extreme and a entire roll of carpet padding.

It was weird having the car that quiet, strange things got "louder" like the sunroof leaked a small amount of air and drove me crazy. The switches were super loud as well.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Spectrum was something I was considering...but I didnt want to deal with the prep. I also get what you mean, suddenly becoming more aware of where other sound is coming from, but this car is anything but quiet yet lol.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Nice writeup! And great to see that rare VST rear brace.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Nice write up. Been considering this for the wagon. Now what you should do is get a bigger battery... H8/Group 49 fit perfectly and are what the car came with.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Thanks! Spectrum was something I was considering...but I didnt want to deal with the prep. I also get what you mean, suddenly becoming more aware of where other sound is coming from, but this car is anything but quiet yet lol.
The truth is you probably got 95 percent of the noise reduction already, and doing the spray in products is going to be a huge expenditure of labor to tear the interior out and put it back in.

You have really reached the point of diminishing returns in car audio (or car anything for that matter). I love the spray in stuff, but it took me and a friend that both of us were car audio installers over a weeks worth of work every day to pull everything, clean and prep, and spray, plus drying time. The prep work compared to the roll on stuff is crazy. You have to literally mask everything you don't want it on. Glass, bolt holes, interior parts plus making sure everything will go back together.

If I were building a project car from scratch, maybe but I doubt I would do that to my daily driver again.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
May also help to put some of that insulation in the rear gate and left rear fender as well. That exhaust tip is letting out some strong pulses with an aftermarket exhaust, so everything you can do to deaden the panels in the rear by the tip will help. Even if you deaden all the metal, the rear glass in the wagon is always going be the biggest downfall of drone getting in your R.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
You really went for it with the material. I did the trunk of my SR with this stuff, but I tried to follow the guidance on RAAM's website which was something like 60% coverage of metal backed material.

http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%252dTo.html

I'm not sure it made as much difference as I was hoping. I could probably stand to put more of the black foam stuff down.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You really went for it with the material. I did the trunk of my SR with this stuff, but I tried to follow the guidance on RAAM's website which was something like 60% coverage of metal backed material.

http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%252dTo.html

I'm not sure it made as much difference as I was hoping. I could probably stand to put more of the black foam stuff down.
I feel you, of course I was hoping for the drone to be "deleted", though this is not a reasonable expectation.

When I can get more into the tailgate I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Be sure to treat the tailgate as well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Doing the tail gate should help a bit, lots of people don't realize this but it's not metal at all but some type of plastic/composite material like fiberglass.

That means the tail gate wants to resonate the most as it's the lightest.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually didnt even think to do that part of the car...Ill have to hop to it in a year or so.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Doing the tail gate should help a bit, lots of people don't realize this but it's not metal at all but some type of plastic/composite material like fiberglass.
Really? Interesting. It sure is heavy for a fiberglass-like composite (granted it contains a large piece of glass). When replacing the lift shocks/struts, a new appreciation was found in the strength of those little things...

THANKS Hoenig for reviving the photos from Lightspeed's sticky!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I was able to get around to insulating the rear interior panel of the tailgate as well as put down a second layer of both mats in area from the back seats to the spare tire area (but not the spare tire area itself). Insulating the rear tailgate panel was no fun at all, as I did my best to preserve any holes that would be needed to service the rear wiper etc. Here it is half done:

So much cutting!!! I went for a drive a little while ago and I do hear a difference, not drastic- but quieter nonetheless. I'd say it was worth it to get some extra layers in. So now I have officially used all the material I purchased from the beginning of the thread on just the tailgate area. I should have used all of it to begin with but I got lazy.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah I was happy to learn when installing a spoiler that the tailgates on these cars are glass filled plastic. No rust! But definitely lighter with potential for noise. On the flip side, it's very thick compared to the sheet metal so it may not really be much lighter.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
The truth is you probably got 95 percent of the noise reduction already, and doing the spray in products is going to be a huge expenditure of labor to tear the interior out and put it back in.

You have really reached the point of diminishing returns in car audio (or car anything for that matter). I love the spray in stuff, but it took me and a friend that both of us were car audio installers over a weeks worth of work every day to pull everything, clean and prep, and spray, plus drying time. The prep work compared to the roll on stuff is crazy. You have to literally mask everything you don't want it on. Glass, bolt holes, interior parts plus making sure everything will go back together.

If I were building a project car from scratch, maybe but I doubt I would do that to my daily driver again.
I used similar to Spectrum product (QuietCar) on my old S70 but I used brush and 4" roller. 1 gallon in trunk and surrounding areas made a big difference (with Supersprint exhaust ) so I can imagine what would 5 gal would to.
since then I was planning to do that on R. I was always thinking how much quieter the wagon would be if I did the entire roof .. Don't think I would ever accomplish this haha

·
3,899 Posts
Looks good, I did my whole R in Qmat by soundqbed. Works amazing and didn't break the bank. I put around 35-40sq feet in.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks good, I did my whole R in Qmat by soundqbed. Works amazing and didn't break the bank. I put around 35-40sq feet in.
Under the carpets, and on the roof too? How difficult was to get that done?

·
3,899 Posts
Under the carpets, and on the roof too? How difficult was to get that done?
I only did the rear under the carpets an same with the roof. It's tricky, esp doing the C pillars. You need to pull apart the C pillars and lower door sills, everything comes up ok after that.

REMEMBER, DO NOT COVER THE AIRBAGS IN THE C PILLARS OR B!!!!!!! WITH THIS LINING THATS ALUMINUM IT WILL TURN INTO SHRAPNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
^I wonder if that's what Takata did? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts