SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I let my wife drive my car and she proceeded to drive my newish 18's right up against the curb.:thumbdown: Anyone have any experience doing curb rash repairs? I've seen some repair how-to's online with Bondo, primer, and paint. Is it really that simple? Will it hold up?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
lets see the damage.
what wheels are they and how many are curbed

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah, it's not hard for minor stuff and it'll hold up fine if you prep everything well. Hardest part is usually matching the finish color/paint.

Last set of wheels I fixed I solved that problem by just doing a full repaint on them.

I like the 3M glazing compound:

First, knock down the big spots with a medium coarse sandpaper, then switch to a finer grit and sand with a block to keep it even and level. Not trying to thin it out, just knock down the high spots.

Then clean it all up with acetone. Then initial smearing of glazing compound and it looks a bit like so:

Block sand that down and refill any low spots. Repeat and you'll end up with something like this:

Once you're satisfied with the repair and flatness of the previously rashed areas clean it all up and prime with a high build primer to help fill in any remaining little imperfections:

Give it all a light sand with fine grit to smooth it out a little. If satisfied, clean them thoroughly and paint with your choice of paint. I like Duplicolor wheel paint. Follow instructions on bottle and for extra shine finish with Duplicolor clear coat.

Tada!

Not perfect, but worlds better than before :beer:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
+1 on the spot putty, that stuff works great to fill in minor imperfections.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Spot putty is really just thick primer. It works great for scratches but for bigger gouges and chunks out of the lip you probably want to use either a bondo with fiber or I've heard of people using JB Weld. Don't go too nuts with that stuff though because it won't sand too easily.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The paint or paint match is always the killer

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

right click on image. select copy image url. paste between

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yepers, thanks. You can see that the spokes sit pretty far out. So it not only got the lip of the wheel, but one of the spokes got chewed up too.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Unless you're a professional and know what you're doing take it to a shop. If they're stock wheel with minor rash I would give it a go. You screw it up take to a shop anyways. Higher end aftermarket wheels I would take to a reputable shop regardless.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Got some curb smooching on my rims as well. After over a year of research I've realized that it'd be pretty much the same money to buy a new one as for handing it over to a repair shop. Might be stupidly high rates here in Sweden (~$200/rim).

Post a pic of the smashed wheel and it'll be easier to tell which route you should go. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts