SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are like me the plastic console has wear marks along the sides. This has annoyed me since I bought the car. I have tried to find a matching paint but Volvo nor this forum have produced any concrete matches....until now.

It's an easy process but involves some time taking apart the center console, removing from the car, and then further taking apart the components. You need a few torx bits and a strong wrist as you will be turning a few bolts. (Just try to remember where everything goes).

You can either tape off the leather surround for the E-brake or remove. I opted for the remove (staples are involved).

I sprayed goo gone, rinsed, applied a dish detergent, and thoroughly rinsed with both sides of a sponge (green abrasive side and yellow soft side. That's all the prep, no sanding for this project.

Console removed:

Here is the best match I could find. It is Duplicolor Bumper Coating (in a dark charcoal grey FB-109). I sourced it from Advance Auto in store myself. A link can be found here:
http://store.summitracing.com/...fb109

Color test trials...(Big piece is from the panel that runs parallel to the transmission hump, the left is the Duplicolor Bumper Coating in Dark Grey, the middle is stock matte panel from the OBD cover, the right is black bumper trim paint).

E-brake surround before and after:

Console close-up before and after:

Now I have to reinstall....fun!

Modified by sh8kdwn at 10:09 AM 11-10-2008

Modified by sh8kdwn at 10:12 AM 11-10-2008

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Fix for Worn Center Console Plastic (Looks Like New!) - *Write Up Inside* (sh8kdwn)

My friend, what an awesome discovery.

My console is in good shape, but starting to get scratches.

What's the shelf life of spray paint?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Re: Fix for Worn Center Console Plastic (Needsdecaf)

Very cool. i have a boost gauge install coming up and needed to paint the pod. This will be the paint I use.... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
981 Posts
Re: Fix for Worn Center Console Plastic (0460RSWEDE)

Cool! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif .

Now figure out the way to fix the scratches on the climate control panel.

BTW, you might want to get some satin clear coat to protect the paint. Otherwise it'll rub off very quickly.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Re: Fix for Worn Center Console Plastic (Looks Like New!) - *Write Up Inside* (sh8kdwn)

wow man, so the job search must be pretty slow...

well, at least you're being productive. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Fix for Worn Center Console Plastic (BeerEngineer)

Quote, originally posted by BeerEngineer »
wow man, so the job search must be pretty slow...

that's funny. It would be funnier if it wasn't true!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 notes:

- The finish is durable and probably will not require a clear coat. The paint itself is meant for an exterior bumper. Anything is more resilient than the stock paint.

- There are 2 finishes on the charcoal gray in our cars. The dash, glove box, and sides near the stereo are a matte finish. The 2 pieces on the sides of the transmission hump and select other plastic pieces have a light gloss finish.

The console looks great with the semi gloss finish and it makes it easier to wipe off.

If you prefer a matte finish then try a matte clear to dull the gloss.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

To insure an absolutely bullet proof finish, one might consider using a primer (for plastic) to achieve a good bond.

·
Registered
273 Posts
great job, but be careful, that bumper coating tends to flake off. I would definitely scuff the surface and use some sort of adhesion promoter. Proper atmosphere temps are key too!. dont do this in your garage if its 30 degrees out side

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Re: (j0sie27)

Quote, originally posted by j0sie27 »
great job, but be careful, that bumper coating tends to flake off. I would definitely scuff the surface and use some sort of adhesion promoter. Proper atmosphere temps are key too!. dont do this in your garage if its 30 degrees out side

Adhesion promoter = primer (go to Sherwin Williams to get a high grade plastic primer)

Never apply either primer or paint below 60 deg F. (can do 55 but gets dicey); clean with denatured alcohol before applying primer (to remove oil, etc)

Your paint job will last for years following this procedure - clean, prime, paint.

Good job color matching!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (VOGZ)

Quote, originally posted by VOGZ »
Do you have a quick write up on pulling the center console?? Looks like it has fasteners on the side that are pretty hard or impossible to get at with the seats in the car. Did you have to remove your seats??

I didn't document the removal but there may be a turn by turn pictorial already on the board. The side fasteners are actually easy. Move the seats back all the way and then use a coin to turn the fastener on the side panels. The panels will come off. Then pull the pieces off from around the shifter (a bone tool or teflon spatula will work wonders). There are two torx under the radio and two under the panels in the arm rest compartment.

Those are the main pieces as I recall from memory.

BTW:

Installed a new shifter knob and cut about half an inch or so off the height.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (ZenZone)

Quote, originally posted by ZenZone »

Adhesion promoter = primer (go to Sherwin Williams to get a high grade plastic primer)

Never apply either primer or paint below 60 deg F. (can do 55 but gets dicey); clean with denatured alcohol before applying primer (to remove oil, etc)

Your paint job will last for years following this procedure - clean, prime, paint.

Good job color matching!

Not a bad idea to do. The adhesion seems perfect but I will keep an eye on it. I used perhaps 3oz. of paint out of the 11oz. can so I have room to redo as needed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.