SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this stuff? They have a version that says safe for tpms sensors. I don't have the spare tire in the trunk and sometimes I'm in places hours from cell phone coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wheels shops have told me that the Fix-a-flat or slim can be cleaned/removed for the wheel and sensor with no damage. Difficult, but doable. However the slim won't help if you cut the tire on the side wall, or have a large puncture. For me, the spare is the only way to go...for me.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Its been said many times before that for a company based on safety of its drivers that this is a huge mistake -- all in the name of weight savings. I sure hope that Volvo brings back the spare tires in its upcoming new designs. But, I"m not holding my breath.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Fix-a-flat is the alternative to paying attention to your tires. All it does is seal the nails and screws that cause the leaks people would catch if they walked around their cars periodically. If its a gash or a puncture where the penatrating object comes out, the stuff will just blow out the big hole as well. And it makes a NASTY mess for those in the tire shop. It smells like vomit and stains clothes and concrete.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I'm willing to pay the penalty of carrying the spare. The last flat I've had was a pothole blowout -- fix-a-flat wouldn't have helped. And I spend time where the nearest tow truck (let alone one contracted to Volvo) is an hour away -- and often no cell coverage.

Good question about the safety equation spare vs fix-a-flat. It is pretty dangerous being outside your car changing a flat. Is fix-a-flat faster? Make you more likely to call for service rather than doing it yourself?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Our last Audi TT didn't have a spare, just a can of stop leak and a compressor. Neither of which is of much use if a tire shreds itself in BFE. I installed an after-market TPM that alarmed on low pressure and temperature. That way you'd hopefully have enough advance warning to fix or pump up the tire before it went critical. Luckily never needed to use it.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Fix-a-flat is the alternative to paying attention to your tires. All it does is seal the nails and screws that cause the leaks people would catch if they walked around their cars periodically. If its a gash or a puncture where the penatrating object comes out, the stuff will just blow out the big hole as well. And it makes a NASTY mess for those in the tire shop. It smells like vomit and stains clothes and concrete.
I see you live in an area where there aren't many nails and screws.

Also, where it doesn't rain much.

Rain drives nails and such into your tires easier. Talk to any tire shop and ask them when their tire repairs go up.

It'll be during or right after rain.

Walking around your car while driving seems to be difficult where I'm from.

How about you?:D

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I see you live in an area where there aren't many nails and screws.
Yeah, especially since most loose nails on the street come from construction, and Sun Belt cities have way more housing starts than the Rust Belt.

Also, where it doesn't rain much.
Yeah. You're probably right.

Rain drives nails and such into your tires easier. Talk to any tire shop and ask them when their tire repairs go up.

It'll be during or right after rain.
So you are saying that rubber experiences a physical change like paper and cardboard that makes it easier to penetrate when wet? And who's your friend, Miss Leading-Statement?
BTW, I am a former fully-trained tire tech. Repair requests increase when debris is on the road. Yes, rain does move debris into the roadway (in AZ, our roadways often ARE the stormwater runoff), but repairs don't follow a cycle where after a rainstorm, our bays would flood with flat tires. If you only get flats after it rains, you need to watch where you are driving.

Walking around your car while driving seems to be difficult where I'm from.

How about you?:D
It dawned on me that so few Americans actually get up and walk around their vehicles...EVER... that the government had to create mandatory TPMS starting in 08 or whenever it was. I don't own a car with TPMS, never have. I do it the old-fashined way. I do a visual inspection. Its amazing what you can prevent when you get out there and become familiar with how your car's components look normally. I suppose you are a 99%er - the ones who think that the condition of a car can't change & all that you have to do is get in it and drive, and then become perplexed and rather irate when something preventable happens.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Yeah, especially since most loose nails on the street come from construction, and Sun Belt cities have way more housing starts than the Rust Belt.

Yeah. You're probably right.

So you are saying that rubber experiences a physical change like paper and cardboard that makes it easier to penetrate when wet? And who's your friend, Miss Leading-Statement?
BTW, I am a former fully-trained tire tech. Repair requests increase when debris is on the road. Yes, rain does move debris into the roadway (in AZ, our roadways often ARE the stormwater runoff), but repairs don't follow a cycle where after a rainstorm, our bays would flood with flat tires. If you only get flats after it rains, you need to watch where you are driving.

It dawned on me that so few Americans actually get up and walk around their vehicles...EVER... that the government had to create mandatory TPMS starting in 08 or whenever it was. I don't own a car with TPMS, never have. I do it the old-fashined way. I do a visual inspection. Its amazing what you can prevent when you get out there and become familiar with how your car's components look normally. I suppose you are a 99%er - the ones who think that the condition of a car can't change & all that you have to do is get in it and drive, and then become perplexed and rather irate when something preventable happens.
I see my tongue in cheek response missed you.

Get out and check your tires /while/ driving? ;)

Secondly, I know how it monsoons in AZ, I lived there 25 years ago.

You stated it properly that rain tends to put things in the roadway that aren't normally in the roadway.

And thus, rains tend to create more tire issues.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I see my tongue in cheek response missed you.

Get out and check your tires /while/ driving? ;)

Secondly, I know how it monsoons in AZ, I lived there 25 years ago.

You stated it properly that rain tends to put things in the roadway that aren't normally in the roadway.

And thus, rains tend to create more tire issues.
And I lived on Lake Michigan some 25 years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts