SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car in question is an '18 S90 T6. I got a good deal locally on a set of Pegasus 18" wheels and I was hoping to run them for winter. I tried to bolt them up (with centering rings to account for the inner bore diameter difference) to make sure they clear the brakes and... they rub on the calipers. :facepalm: I'm thinking maybe a 15" spacer would bring them out far enough but I'm not sure. Has anybody tried this combo before?

At this point, I'm debating cutting my losses and ordering a package from Tirerack but if there's hope that some spacers would do the trick I'd rather go that route since I also already have 18" snow tires to go with the wheels.

Thanks,
-Brett.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
One word on ordering TireRack packages - I've got a winter set with plastic centering rings - to accommodate difference between wheel and hub. It was very difficult to put wheels on and take them off - first few seasons. Other than that I happy I went witha set - vs buying used Pegs. Sometimes they could be bent even if they look 100%.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get what you're saying for the Tirerack packages - I had one for my previous Audi SQ5 that included the plastic centering rings. I understand that it's the better option fitment-wise, but it comes at a price. I got the Pegasus for a really good price so I was hoping to make them work. That obviously might come back to haunt me!

At any rate, I threw a little more money at the problem and bought a pair of 15MM spacers to test it for myself. Should be here next week so I'll know for sure then if they clear the brakes.

Thanks,
-Brett.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
At any rate, I threw a little more money at the problem and bought a pair of 15MM spacers to test it for myself. Should be here next week so I'll know for sure then if they clear the brakes.

Thanks,
-Brett.
fantastic. Thanks for doing the legwork -- I used to have an S60R and would love to run pegs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Car in question is an '18 S90 T6. I got a good deal locally on a set of Pegasus 18" wheels and I was hoping to run them for winter. I tried to bolt them up (with centering rings to account for the inner bore diameter difference) to make sure they clear the brakes and... they rub on the calipers. :facepalm: I'm thinking maybe a 15" spacer would bring them out far enough but I'm not sure. Has anybody tried this combo before?

At this point, I'm debating cutting my losses and ordering a package from Tirerack but if there's hope that some spacers would do the trick I'd rather go that route since I also already have 18" snow tires to go with the wheels.

Thanks,
-Brett.
Volvo calls for 18x8 ET42 ,
what is the ET ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Volvo calls for 18x8 ET42 ,
what is the ET ?
The Pegasus wheels are 18x8, ET 46. I'm hoping that with 15MM spacers they'll be out far enough to clear. Without spacers they're making contact with the "top" corner of the caliper (meaning, they're not hitting the back sides of the spokes, but on the inner barrel of the wheel if that makes sense).

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Pegasus wheels are 18x8, ET 46. I'm hoping that with 15MM spacers they'll be out far enough to clear. Without spacers they're making contact with the "top" corner of the caliper (meaning, they're not hitting the back sides of the spokes, but on the inner barrel of the wheel if that makes sense).
Interesting that barrel is the issue and not the offset.
In this case forget it and get wheels that fit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting that barrel is the issue and not the offset.
In this case forget it and get wheels that fit.
*Ding, ding* We have a winner.

Spacers showed up faster than I expected so I did a quick test fit and it's still rubbing. My hope was that since the barrels are slightly tapered the spacers would move the wheel out enough that the inner barrel diameter would be enough to clear the caliper. No such luck, even with 15MM spacers they still scraped.

Time to try and unload the Pegasus and find something else for the winter. Anyone got a lead on some 18" wheels that are known to fit over these brakes?

Thanks,
-Brett.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There are few OE wheels that fit but I want something cheaper than heavy and overpriced Volvo alloys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another update - finally some good news to report. Not about the Pegasus, but I think I've found a workable solution. I made a trip to the local Pull-A-Part yesterday and scored a set of "Atlantis" wheels off an XC90. Specs are 18x7 ET49.

I did a trial fit this evening and they rubbed ever-so-slightly on the barrels. But, when combined with the 15MM spacers they cleared the brakes fine. So they might not be pretty, but they fit!

-Brett.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some pics. I'm planning on refinishing them a little darker color but just glad to find something that fits. 2nd picture showing the clearance between the barrel and the caliper. Not much but it's there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Some pics. I'm planning on refinishing them a little darker color but just glad to find something that fits. 2nd picture showing the clearance between the barrel and the caliper. Not much but it's there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
looks fine in the front but what is the dark shadow?
How big the smallest gap?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
One word on ordering TireRack packages - I've got a winter set with plastic centering rings - to accommodate difference between wheel and hub. It was very difficult to put wheels on and take them off - first few seasons. Other than that I happy I went witha set - vs buying used Pegs. Sometimes they could be bent even if they look 100%.
Plastic? :eek:

Maybe this is how they do it now, but that sounds highly concerning to me.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

Thanks,
-Brett.
I just bought a 2017 S90 T6 Momentum Plus.

I just realized I have no idea what size wheels are on it. Going to have to go look later.

Do all S90 T6's have brakes this large, or do you have some sort of performance package?

I was planning on picking up a set of OE rims on Craigslist off of an older Volvo for the winter. I've done this with every Volvo I've owned thus far, usually significantly downsizing the winter rims, but if 18" is the minimum, this is going to be a lot more difficult than I had planned...

Which OE wheels are officially compatible? SPA only wheels 18" or greater? Or does anything older fit? I don't want to mess with rings.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plastic? :eek:

Maybe this is how they do it now, but that sounds highly concerning to me.
This I actually have some experience with and I have no problems running plastic centering rings. They are only there to guide the wheel to a centered position when installing it, they don't bear any load once the lugs are torqued. I ran an aftermarket wheel/tire package from Tire Rack on my previous car ('15 Audi SQ5) and it also used plastic centering rings. I had no issues with vibration or with the installation.

I just bought a 2017 S90 T6 Momentum Plus.

I just realized I have no idea what size wheels are on it. Going to have to go look later.

Do all S90 T6's have brakes this large, or do you have some sort of performance package?

I was planning on picking up a set of OE rims on Craigslist off of an older Volvo for the winter. I've done this with every Volvo I've owned thus far, usually significantly downsizing the winter rims, but if 18" is the minimum, this is going to be a lot more difficult than I had planned...

Which OE wheels are officially compatible? SPA only wheels 18" or greater? Or does anything older fit? I don't want to mess with rings.
Here's where my knowledge kind of ends. I'm new to Volvo and I picked this car up used/CPO so my experience is very limited. As far as I'm aware these are the standard brakes from a T6 Inscription, but I can't comment as to whether or not they different than other T6-equipped cars. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I will say that with the 18" "Atlantis" wheels that I bought there's not a lot of clearance even after pushing them out 15MM with a spacer. I can't imagine a 17" wheel being able to clear.

Finally, I will say that this site was a good resource for tracking down factory wheel information like offsets and center bores:
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volvo/

-Brett.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
This I actually have some experience with and I have no problems running plastic centering rings. They are only there to guide the wheel to a centered position when installing it, they don't bear any load once the lugs are torqued. I ran an aftermarket wheel/tire package from Tire Rack on my previous car ('15 Audi SQ5) and it also used plastic centering rings. I had no issues with vibration or with the installation.
Interesting. I always assumed that the hub carried a good chunk of the weight of the car, and that the lugnuts were really just there to hold the wheel "in".

Do the rings stay in the wheel when removing it? Or do I need to worry about keeping track of them?

Here's where my knowledge kind of ends. I'm new to Volvo and I picked this car up used/CPO so my experience is very limited. As far as I'm aware these are the standard brakes from a T6 Inscription, but I can't comment as to whether or not they different than other T6-equipped cars. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I will say that with the 18" "Atlantis" wheels that I bought there's not a lot of clearance even after pushing them out 15MM with a spacer. I can't imagine a 17" wheel being able to clear.

Finally, I will say that this site was a good resource for tracking down factory wheel information like offsets and center bores:
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volvo/

-Brett.
Thanks for that. That's a good resource, and judging by it it looks like all S90 T6 models have a minumum wheel size of 18" (which happens to be what mine came with. (see sig)

Guess there won't be any downsizing for winter wheels like I usually do :/

I checked Craigslist, and there don't appear to be any OE wheels that fit.

Might have to go the route of buying a pre-balanced Tirerack rim&tire package with whatever the cheapest rims that fit are.

I generally hate the aftermarket look though which is a bummer. Maybe I can find some Volvo center caps that fit, to minimize that.

Do they make steelies in this size? :p

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Interesting. I always assumed that the hub carried a good chunk of the weight of the car, and that the lugnuts were really just there to hold the wheel "in".
yup - plastic rings for street metal rings for the track (heat)

wheel is held on by the friction produced when torquing the lug nuts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts