SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving a wide assortment of company provided vehicles for the last 40 years, I retired from Castrol 2 years ago. As a Volvo vendor, I got “A Plan” pricing and purchased a 2018 S90 T5 with the intent to keep the vehicle a long time, but now having serious second thoughts. Not counting the 2 annual maintenance visits, the car has now been in the shop 6 times. First was a recall to replace a faulty VCM, no problem, happens with all manufacturers. Next was 3 trips to 2 different dealers (my home dealer in FL and a NC dealer while on vacation last year) to fix a fill pipe seal causing a “check engine light” message to stay on. Fixed, and again no real concerns yet. Then about 3 months ago with no warning at all, when I put the car into reverse, it sounded like the transmission fell out. Also happened when shifting from Park into Drive. When driving, car shifted fine so seemed like a torque converter failure to me. In to my home dealer who had not seen that problem before on an S90. Volvo recommended a full software update, no new parts, and that seemed to resolve the issue. Two days ago, again while on vacation in N C, with no warning, the torque converter/shifter issue happened again! In to the local dealer, and yet another, different software update from Volvo. The dealer also informed me that the front brake pads were at 3mm and needed to be replaced after only 18k total miles and of course a wear item and not covered by warranty! Calipers fine, rotors fine, rear pads at 50% wear. My driving habits have not changed, and have NEVER had to replace pads that soon on any car I have owned. My wife drives my last company car - a Toyota Camry. It has 80k miles with the original pads all around and they are still good! So, to my main point here - completely disappointed in Volvo quality so far. Two trys to fix torque converter issue unacceptable - issue is w Volvo here, not the 2 dealers, so I have little confidence in Volvo. A call to Volvo “Customer Support” was a waste of time - “we will open a ticket, but you need to talk to the dealer about the cause of the problem”. Any thoughts here from techs on the brake pads? I cannot believe the OEM quality of the Volvo pads is that bad or that Volvo owners put up with that. Are there better quality aftermarket pads to try when I have to replace the rear ones? Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
523 Posts
yep....hard to beat the camry..i've got a 2013 hybrid......My 2012 volvo may be starting the oil consumption issue. And since i've done the maintenance since the warranty ran out, i'll bet volvo will not extend any goodwill. It does run beautifully but, then again, it's only got 56,000 miles on it. The camry has 80,000 and no issues.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Any thoughts here from techs on the brake pads?
Most new cars use the rear brakes as part of stability/traction control, sometimes as a differential lock on rear axles and as well as during rain they are used to clean the rotors now and then in the same of "safety". This is just another effect of all the new technology and safety in cars sadly.

While I don't have a new volvo, I've coded out all these features in my daily driver

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Torque converter/hards shifting issue happened again yesterday! Going back to dealer for 3rd time in 5 months. If it happens again, it becomes a Lemon Law candidate. No question the most unreliable car I have ever owned!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts