SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m wondering if someone can enlighten me on a few basic turbo and s60 questions. I’ve owned and maintained and enhanced a supercharged engine before but have zero experience with a turbo. First question, does the charge air intercooler have coolant circulating in it?
Second question, were the fog light lenses on the s60 slightly fogged from the factory or were they crystal clear? I just bought a high mileage 2006 s60 and the fog light lenses are both cloudy and scratched up.
Trying to decide between replacement or polishing. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
The intercooler does not use coolant. The fog lights should be clear. You can try polishing them if they are scratched up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The intercooler does not use coolant. The fog lights should be clear. You can try polishing them if they are scratched up.
Next question then, my intercooler air passages are pretty much all flattened out and damaged from years of road debris. Does this thing drop out the bottom without too much trouble? Nice weekend project? I’m guessing this is hurting performance.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Are you sure its your intercooler? The AC condenser is in front followed by the intercooler and the radiator.

·
Registered
16,823 Posts
You came to the right venue/site/group. These guys rock. Welcome!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Are you sure its your intercooler? The AC condenser is in front followed by the intercooler and the radiator.
No, I’m not sure, this is good to know. Thanks! I haven’t removed the plastic guard underneath to scope it out more. I guess it doesn’t matter which it is, it’s blocking air to everything behind it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for mentioning this. I am amazed at all the indentations in the front exposed metal grids of the A/C cooler(?) when I checked this afternoon. There are still lots of tiny rocks embedded in it. The potholes around Boston have been horrendous and in some places as much as 3 inches of the upper layer of the road has been converted to projectiles fired by the tires of the car in front. The indents are about 1/2 inch deep and clearly flatten the metal grids.

Fortunately, the upper half of the 'radiator' is not in the line of 'fire' of the road debris, is perfectly undamaged, and so will allow some cooling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts