SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased my first Volvo this weekend. A 2016 V60 Platinum, sport package, onyx black, and 10 miles on the odometer. Just found this forum and thought I'd check in. Now I'm not sure that was a good idea. Reading about leaky roofs, dead pixels, etc. Not even 72 hours into ownership and I'm worried about what is to come. :) Although every published long term test I've read has not had many complaints. Enjoying the car so far. Chose it over a 2015 BMW 328 wagon. Not quite as fun to drive as the BMW but you definitely get more for your money with the Volvo. Coming from a t-boned VW Jetta Sportwagon, I've found it difficult to find third party accessories for the Volvo. Even something as simple as a pair of high quality monogramed floor mats is a challenge. Can anyone recommend online sources for Volvo goodies?

I would post pictures but I have nowhere to host the images. For the time being you can still check out the dealer listing... listing

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome to the Volvo family.
To ease your mind, we have had no issues for over a year and 20k mi on our first Volvo. Same engine/tranny as you. And although I've never owned a BMW, I think issues are more frequent with that brand. We too were considering 328 wagon.
I think too that more people post when they have an issue. That can skew perception.
A tip: check for under-filled coolant. We had to top up ours after getting a warning when subjecting to high cornering loads. A one-time thing though. Others have reported the same issue. Use Pentofrost NF or get the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Have you been venturing into the XC90 (2016) forum? Yes, the new XC90 has some glitches, but that's expected with a whole new architecture.

The V60 isn't radically different than the XC60 which Pranner an I have. They're solid.

Only real issue is relatively high oil usage on Drive-E engines which I don't think its endemic to all cars built in this format, but might be too early to tell. Looks like you have the T5 Drive-E same as us so just keep an eye on the electronic dipstick (these cars don't have a real dipstick, have to use the electronic one).

There is a whole thread on the Drive-E electronic dipstick, I think its in the general forum. Short answer is it shows graduations but they are basically meaningless. One day it will show full the next its at Low, its basically an full OR low indicator.

Volvo has some updates for this in which they allow the oil reservoir to be slightly overfilled and lower the threshold at which the e-dipstick will indicate a low reading. Again, not everyone has this issue, and I'm wondering if the newer vehicles don't have this problem.

Oh, make sure you fully explore sport mode. The T5 has overboost which provides some additional horsepower, I suggest you find it :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
these cars don't have a real dipstick, have to use the electronic one
Wow, I did not know that. I don't like that at all. Oh well, probably the future. I can see how a stick to check fluid levels could be considered a crude solution. I will keep on an eye out for the oil and the coolant.

I'm not expecting trouble with the Volvo. I'm coming from a VW and I've been reading complaints for the last 6 years about how unreliable they are and never had an ounce of trouble with that car.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Congrats and welcome! Forums are a place where people come to post problems, so any car will seem like the worst one ever made. I drive a company owned Chevy Traverse and I occasionally peruse their forums. The problems I see there horrify me, even though I am on my 5th one and have over 250,000 trouble free miles in them. Its anecdotal but our S60 is at 64k miles and we have only had two issues: a known fuel pump issue and warped front rotors. Both taken care of under warranty.

Which engine do you have, it may have a dipstick?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry about the SportWagen -- hope everyone was ok!

That said, lovely V60 -- especially like the beechwood interior (I have the same thing, and always appreciate it when I get in the car). You should also find the seats to be amazingly comfortable. I do 500+ mile road trips a number of times a year and find myself arriving at my destination in far better shape than in any other car I've had before. I have also appreciated getting mid-30s mileage on the highway from a very peppy engine.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Congrats and good luck! That is a beautiful color combo and I love the new 19" wheels that come with the Lower Sports Chassis. Remember to always take everything you read here negative or any issues with a grain of salt. Not everyone has issues/problems with their vehicles on here. We are a small sample of Volvo drivers and enthusiasts at that so we can be a little more critical of our vehicles. I can say that my 2015 V60RD has been fantastic in just over a year of ownership without an ounce of trouble; unless you want to count the cargo shade cover being replaced because one of the pegs didn't seat well when closed, haha! My 2012 S60RD had a few software bugs with the transmission/Sensus 2.0, but those were resolved with updates to both.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Congrats and welcome! You will have 1/3 the issues with this car than you'll have with any VW product. There are thousands of Volvo's in the wild; on the rare occasion that there is an issue, people will post here hoping to find an expert or two for guidance, but most folks just take it to the shop. The same goes for any VW or Audi enthusiast site... x3. ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks good! I really like the two tone beechwood interior. My S60 has been mostly trouble free for 10 months and 27,000 total miles. I had one warranty claim early on for a shorted satellite radio module which caused my infotainment system to behave strangely, since then the car has been very solid. Aside from the terrible Continental tires (can't blame the car for that!), the car still drives like brand new.

·
Registered
127 Posts

I haven't had any major issues. My wife's XC60 RD had a disabled AWD after 29,000 miles. It was under warranty, and fixed. My V60 RD is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Now I'm second guessing my car! I have the dark interior. Great choice!
The beechwood interior works really well in person. I wasn't sold on it in the pictures as it looks more orange than the brown-ish that it is. I would have gone dark if I had to order a car but I'm glad that I did see the beechwood and that the car was available.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My V60 RD is fantastic.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the number of RD's on this forum but I still am. I couldn't justify the extra money and they don't seem to exist in Atlanta. :confused: That made the decision easier. Found a couple of Polestar's and three others equipped with the sports package. Other than that, not much choice in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama and Tennessee. It was a frustrating car search with the limited availability of wagons in general then add in the options I wanted and my choices dropped dramatically. Funny thing is, I still ended up with the first car that came to mind when I realized that my jetta wagon may be written off.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I just purchased my first Volvo this weekend. A 2016 V60 Platinum, sport package, onyx black, and 10 miles on the odometer. Just found this forum and thought I'd check in. Now I'm not sure that was a good idea. Reading about leaky roofs, dead pixels, etc. Not even 72 hours into ownership and I'm worried about what is to come. :) Although every published long term test I've read has not had many complaints. Enjoying the car so far. Chose it over a 2015 BMW 328 wagon. Not quite as fun to drive as the BMW but you definitely get more for your money with the Volvo. Coming from a t-boned VW Jetta Sportwagon, I've found it difficult to find third party accessories for the Volvo. Even something as simple as a pair of high quality monogramed floor mats is a challenge. Can anyone recommend online sources for Volvo goodies?

I would post pictures but I have nowhere to host the images. For the time being you can still check out the dealer listing... listing
Congrats and nice garage/driveway. That's A LOT of black paint to keep up with. A great workout on the weekends? :)

Did you get the beechwood interior? It's very elegant up against black.

As for the issues...here and there but if your dealership is like ours, all will be well. Any car can be a crap shoot.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Those are my black Volvos with black interior. He has a white volvo with beechwood posted under the "listing" hypertext (top Platinum vehicle).

I have a membership for both cars at an express carwash to keep it shining.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He has a white volvo with beechwood posted under the "listing" hypertext (top Platinum vehicle).
I do have the onyx black V60 with beechwood interior. The dealer finally removed the listing for my car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have Sapphire Black (bluish tone) for my V60 and my wife's XC60 has the Onyx Black paint job. Looks great as long as you keep it clean.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I've had 9 Volvo's dating back to a 1967 122S, numerous Audi's, Subaru's, VW, Ford , Chevy, etc. the 2015.5 V60P is the best car I have ever owned. After one year of ownership, solid, and completely trouble free. It's the perfect size for what I need, kind of a cross between a wagon and a hatchback. I am very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was close to getting a 2016 V60P, but it must be amazing because my V60RD puts a big smile on my face.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I have never driven such a confidence inspiring car, it really is that good. I test drove a V60RD before putting a deposit down on a V60P, and I loved the V60RD, and thought if the P is better than this, I gotta have it. It was not that much more than a fully loaded V60RD, so I thought it was a bargain for all the extras.Very happy with my purchase.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts