SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to participate in the Hyperdrive over at the NJ Motorsport Park track in Millville this past weekend as part of the overall effort to support Josh and his TKI race team. I have to say that his car is an amazing piece of machinery and he's a great driver. The whole team is very friendly and really know how to take care of their fans.

Back to the Hyperdrive, there was a 30 minute classroom session followed by a 30 minute track session with the instructor sitting in the passenger seat. It was my very first track event with the R and i've gotta say that I"ll definitely do it again.

The car performed great. Of course the oversteer was really noticeable (I mean it's a heavy caR) but the combination of my minor mods really improved the overall driving experience. I"ll be adding track sways in the near future.

Anyways, to all of you who love your cars, you owe it to yourselves to take it to the track once in a while. You really get to learn how the car behaves under extreme conditions, and it's of course a blast!

Enjoy the pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/tlawrowski/TKITrackEvent?feat=directlink

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
... Anyways, to all of you who love your cars, you owe it to yourselves to take it to the track once in a while. You really get to learn how the car behaves under extreme conditions, and it's of course a blast!
Definitely need to add "tracking the R" to my bucket list.

Thanks for sharing.
Looks like you had a blast!

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing Tommy! Nice pics and your car looks great man! You take really good care of her. I def want to track the R one of these days. Not sure if its a good idea with 30series tires though:/ Do you have spacers?
oh yea I meant understeer....

and Brandon - i've got 5MM spacers all around...could actually go 10MM in the rear

·
Registered
283 Posts
Anyways, to all of you who love your cars, you owe it to yourselves to take it to the track once in a while. You really get to learn how the car behaves under extreme conditions, and it's of course a blast!
true :) looked like a nice trackevent! cool pics :)
But heavy nose? yea sometimes, but usualy it stayed neutral pretty long and had more oversteer then understeer... but the TRACS was turned of completely and in Advanced

here are some of myn

·
Registered
621 Posts
How fast did the cars get at the Hyperdrive on the front straight? I hit about 115 - 120mph on the front, 70 through turn 3 and probably 95-100 in the back straight in HPDE2 run group. 65-70 through the octopus.

·
Registered
621 Posts
To eliminate the understeer and get a little oversteer buy an Elevate rear sway bar- it really worked for my caR at the track.
You want both front and rear sways. Not just rear.

Actually still has understeer with set up just not as much. You need to learn to trail brake and play with rear tire pressure. Increase pressure in rear over front and your tires will start to slide out faster in rear because of less grip patch. Just 2-4 psi should do it. But you will need to play with it. You don't want to much.

Also slowly let off throttle if you start understeering and you will catch your grip. DO NOT BRAKE. Once around apex roll onto the gas and it will pull you out.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Nice Geforce helmet! I have the same one in black, but i took off the visor...makes it look like my grandpa's mo-ped helmet with it on.

Yes, track IS crack. I do Watkins Glen once a year...its better than Christmas...

I recently tried Autocross, and it was a challenge, but I really felt like I was beating on her. So from now on, only real tracks from now on...

Oh, for a suspension combo, I love my setup when I'm at the glen, I know nothing about this under-steer thing, never felt it...

4 x Kumho Ecsta MX 235/18
TME springs F/R
Evolve sways F/R
VIVA front strut brace
VIVA rear chassis brace kit

Viva also has a rear seat brace that George wants me to try out...

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How fast did the cars get at the Hyperdrive on the front straight? I hit about 115 - 120mph on the front, 70 through turn 3 and probably 95-100 in the back straight in HPDE2 run group. 65-70 through the octopus.
I saw about 115-120 at the straight as well. We were not allowed to pass though, otherwise i'd pass the mustang and a corvette which were in front of me (novice drivers).
Other than that I'm not sure about the other turns...I was too focused on hitting the apex... :)

Is this your r that I saw at the track then? I also saw your car parked on the grass...she looks nice, and sounded even better.

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice Geforce helmet! I have the same one in black, but i took off the visor...makes it look like my grandpa's mo-ped helmet with it on.

Yes, track IS crack. I do Watkins Glen once a year...its better than Christmas...

I recently tried Autocross, and it was a challenge, but I really felt like I was beating on her. So from now on, only real tracks from now on...

Oh, for a suspension combo, I love my setup when I'm at the glen, I know nothing about this under-steer thing, never felt it...

4 x Kumho Ecsta MX 235/18
TME springs F/R
Evolve sways F/R
VIVA front strut brace
VIVA rear chassis brace kit

Viva also has a rear seat brace that George wants me to try out...
The helmet was a rental; I need to buy a good one. Any suggestions?

Also, our suspension setup is similar other than my lack of upgraded sways. ALso, I'm running crappy Nexen summer tires, but those are getting replaced as well

·
Registered
621 Posts
That was my R you saw. I was hanging with my friend who was an instructor. He had his street 535 that day since he blew the head on his Track only M3. Was a fun day but definitely a beating.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You want both front and rear sways. Not just rear.

Actually still has understeer with set up just not as much. You need to learn to trail brake and play with rear tire pressure. Increase pressure in rear over front and your tires will start to slide out faster in rear because of less grip patch. Just 2-4 psi should do it. But you will need to play with it. You don't want to much.

Also slowly let off throttle if you start understeering and you will catch your grip. DO NOT BRAKE. Once around apex roll onto the gas and it will pull you out.
I didn't stiffen up the front because I didn't want anymore understeer. That is the only reason I didn't get a stiffer front bar- I like the tail end hanging out when full on the gas.... scary part is when I let off the gas in a hard corner it will off-throttle-oversteer. Just about went all the way around at my first event with the rear sway because I was so used to the understeer- if I hadn't have hit the gas hard it would have spun.

Lots of fun but not for the faint of heart... I think that is why IPD likes you to do both (not just for the money but because it is safer for beginners).

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The helmet was a rental; I need to buy a good one. Any suggestions?

Also, our suspension setup is similar other than my lack of upgraded sways. ALso, I'm running crappy Nexen summer tires, but those are getting replaced as well
Yes. Go to Saferacer.com. They have a big sale on SA 2005 helmets now that the SA2010's are coming out. Most clubs/tracks will let you use 2005s for about 5 more years...

I have that exact Geforce you rented. My only qualm is the open front face causing wind noise on the intercom mic. Other than that, fit and comfort is superb.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
I didn't stiffen up the front because I didn't want anymore understeer. That is the only reason I didn't get a stiffer front bar- I like the tail end hanging out when full on the gas.... scary part is when I let off the gas in a hard corner it will off-throttle-oversteer. Just about went all the way around at my first event with the rear sway because I was so used to the understeer- if I hadn't have hit the gas hard it would have spun.

Lots of fun but not for the faint of heart... I think that is why IPD likes you to do both (not just for the money but because it is safer for beginners).
Installing front sways plants more force down on the front tires in the corners. Doesn't cause any more understeer. Having rears only makes the cars ass stick up in the air with the inside tire barely touching the pavement. This is because the OEM sways aren't stiff enough to stop body role. Causing you to go completely through your stock travel in the corner when fully loaded. My friends R had the rears only and it was actually pretty scary to watch at speed. You could lose traction very easily. Your car should be solidly planted with as minimal lateral movement as possible. You want your car not to dip and sway. That causes unstable weight transfers which caused your tail out spin. Not good. Thats pretty much the equivalent of doing heavier spring rate in the rear which lowering springs give but just cutting the OEM front ones to match height with the stock softer spring rate. Its all in the tire pressure if you want oversteer with these cars.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yo Tommy what up with them eyelids?? Are those the CFW ones? They look good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.