SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first timer on this forum and in the market for an S60R. I would really appreciate some help/advice for newbies.

Today I went for a test drive with a private seller of a 2004 S60R with 25k miles (orig. owner). It was Grey Metallic with Atacama Interior and had manual transmission - a very nice car.

While on the drive the owner of the car told me to feel free to go 0-60, and actually somewhat insisted that I do it.

From a stop I redlined first, pulled out of first gear and the lever would not move into 2nd, and the clutch would only depress half way afterwards and it wouldnt shift into any other gears. We pulled over and the owner proceeded to tell me that this had happened 800 miles ago at which point the dealer made repairs to the linkage. He had the dealership service record to prove it and it showed some sort of repairs to the shift linkage. He brought it in complaining that it would not pull out of first gear.

My friend came up with the idea to turn the car off, put it in 1st, and start and drive the rest of the way home in 1st gear (only 2 miles away). He said he would get it fixed and, if Im still interested, he would let me know when it was done at the dealership.

Are you guys familiar with this type of issue? Is it a common issue? Or something that I should be concerned about? Should I walk away from this deal? Is this a known nuance?

Also, are there any common issues/problems that I should be aware of before buying this or another S60R? Any scheduled or routine maintenance that I should be aware of within the next few thousand miles?

Any help/guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Modified by crazy32184 at 8:57 PM 4-14-2009

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: First Timer - Buying S60R - Please help! (crazy32184)

Seems to be a very common issue. The shift cable probably just popped out. I am going through something very similar to this with mine. Try the google search in the top right corner. You should find lots of posts.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It sound like the cable popped out, you should be aware of angle gear failures, clutch slave cilinder etc. 25k miles is not alot but depends how the vehicles has been taken care of. Most likely it has not had any major work done and they will break and cost you around 2k for each of those. When I bought my 04 R most of the stuff has been replaced and I have not had any major issues for little over a year.

If money/repairs are a problem I would stay away.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: (Blessyouboys)

As it has been said, probably the shifter cable jumping out of position, it is common. It *could*be something more, which could be more expensive. There is a fix out there, some custom brackets, and hopefully they will be fed to the masses soon.

When the cable is out of position at all, the shifting can feel crunchy and inconsistant. At one time, I had to put my body weight into the shifter just to get into 5th or 6th gear. The dealer replaced the cable under warranty and I have been good to go.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: First Timer - Buying S60R - Please help! (crazy32184)

You can't "speed shift" these shifters or this is what can happen.
You need to add some homemade "clips" over the cables to prevent this.
It happened to me on a 5th to 6th speed shift!
(of all shifts) and I had nothing, no gear to go into.
Keystone Volvo made up some clips to add regidity to the cables and it never happened again. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
It doesn't mean the car is bad, they just need some help in certain areas

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for the great responses, they are very helpful.

s140s - thank you for the heads up...I will definitely ask him about these, but i doubt they've been fixed at 25k miles. How common are the angle gear and slave solenoid issues? Is it something common enough that I should 100% expect it or is it perhaps something that can go without issue? And at what mileage should this be expected?

The guy is in his late 40's maybe early 50's and didnt really seem like the guy who would drive the car very hard. He took meticulous care of the car but Im sure anyone who owns this car will likely redline it thru a few gears at least once in a while.

After all this being said, and considering theres only 25k miles on it...the car is in very good condition, really almost brand new. would you guys still reccomend i move on this car? or should i pursue a different one?

Thanks again for all your help!

Modified by crazy32184 at 6:50 AM 4-15-2009

Modified by crazy32184 at 7:01 AM 4-15-2009

Modified by crazy32184 at 8:18 AM 4-15-2009

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Angle gear has been discussed here many times and is costly to repair. If the price he is selling the car for is good I would go for it. Before buying I would take it somewhere to get it up on the lift, check if nothing is leaking (especialy angle gear).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey s140s

So its at the dealership right now for the repairs to the cables. I called and introduced myself to the sales advisor in charge of the car. I also asked him if he would have the mechanic give the car a once over and let me know if there are any warning signs or potential problems he could see. He is getting back to me.

I asked him about the angle gears and the slave solenoid and he said the slave sol. may be one of the issues, theyre not ruling it out...he said the cables were still entact which is good but there was some feedback from the clutch and he felt it could be slave sol. or pressure plate or something along those lines....he said the angle gears were dry.

Assuming this is all okay and everything checks out - should i pay $17.5k (his asking price)? He seemed pretty firm but i feel that after all this hassle I may be in a position to negotiate a little. What do you think?

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
After looking a little closer on cars.com 17.5 is not that high but depends on the options. I would negotiate alittle. I bet the car is on stock tires which will need replacement soon.

If thats the first R you looked at, I would find some other ones to test drive in order to compare.

Also 05 are little improved over 04 which have small things that go bad.

Also see this one

Modified by s140s at 12:35 PM 4-15-2009

Modified by s140s at 12:35 PM 4-15-2009

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya, I saw that one too! If this deal doesnt go thru then I will def make an offer on that black one.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated! Ill let you know how it goes and will be sure to post pics!

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (crazy32184)

Hey, welcome!

There are a lot of members in the NOVA, including Fairfax, area. Where are you?

We are all very friendly and if you want to contact one of us to view some other cars, perhaps some of the other owners will be so kind as to give you a drive.

I have a 2004 V70R with automatic, so I will not be of use in that department, sorry! You're always welcome to set something up or to have one of us help you view a local car.

As for the car, I would try to go with an '05 or newer car. The updgraded interior is worth it, IMO, and also the upgraded SUM (suspension module, the suspension's processor) is MUCH improved. There are good '04's out there, but it's a little more hit or miss than the other years. Also, the painted trim on the '05's is nicer than on the '04's, IMO.

Use the FAQ thread at the top (not the Beta one) for more info and search using the google search. Also, make sure on search you select "archived posts".

Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Needsdecaf - Thank you for that information, its very helpful!! I live in Annandale, VA and once i get my S60R would love to meet with you guys!

I just got in touch with the service adviser at Don Beyer. He said they are going to replace the entire clutch kit incl slave solenoid. He also said they are not ruling out the flywheel bc if its scarred they will need to replace that too. Without flywheel its 2k, with its 4k.

What do you guys think? I know you mentioned the 04's are sort of hit or miss, but i think if you saw this one you'd agree its a really clean car thats been well kept. Its unfortunate that this bad luck happened, but good thing it occurred on the test drive and not on the drive home!

One thing i forgot to mention and now editing to include - whichever car i end up getting I am able to get a really good deal on an extended warranty. Does that make any difference when talking about the 'little things that go bad' in the 04's?

I feel like its going to be very hard to find another car with 1 owner thats been cared for and kept as clean as this one.

Let me know what you think, and thanks again.

Modified by crazy32184 at 2:14 PM 4-16-2009

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Re: (crazy32184)

Quote, originally posted by crazy32184 »

What do you guys think? I know you mentioned the 04's are sort of hit or miss, but i think if you saw this one you'd agree its a really clean car thats been well kept. Its unfortunate that this bad luck happened, but good thing it occurred on the test drive and not on the drive home!

One thing i forgot to mention and now editing to include - whichever car i end up getting I am able to get a really good deal on an extended warranty. Does that make any difference when talking about the 'little things that go bad' in the 04's?

I feel like its going to be very hard to find another car with 1 owner thats been cared for and kept as clean as this one.

Let me know what you think, and thanks again.

it's always tough to decide, if it were me and since it is a manual i'd go with a well cared for '04 vs an unknown or abused '05+,,, there are differences between 04-05 with the interior/exterior, but if it doesn't bother you, you might have found your car. just because more '04's have been problematic then other years doesn't necessarily mean yours will be problematic. also going with '05+ is no guarantee either for perfect reliability.

something going wrong can happen, parents sold a car a few years ago that was problem free for years, the day the kid who bought it from them drove it home, water-pump seized up on his drive home. go figure. they split it 50/50 with the kid to help him out, from what you've written the owners seems to be alright.

warranty will always be piece of mind-read the fine print to make sure it is a good policy.

that said if you are patient enough you will eventually find another if there are key things missing that you are looking for. East coast especially seems to be a haven for R's.

good luck

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
atacamaR - best advice I've heard from anyone yet. Thank you very much!

I just contacted the seller and were settling on saturday. Meeting at the bank on Saturday morning then going to the dealership to pick up the car.

Ill let you guys know how it turns out.

thanks again,
andrew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts