SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Cross posted from new members forum..)

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a new to me 2005 S40 T5 and have already been enjoying learning about the car on this forum.

The previous owner had a lot of work done on it, replaced the engine (seized up after a broken timing belt), transmission, motor mounts, alternator, tires, struts etc, etc. He decided to get rid of it because he had started working as a real estate agent and needed something newer and nicer for the "image." With all of that work already done I thought the price was pretty good.

I knew about the sunroof drain issue and noticed that the carpets were a bit wet. While the owner had kept the car garaged for most of its life with him, he had it beside the road for several weeks while trying to sell it and it had been very rainy. I figured, no big deal, I can vacuum the water out and it will be fine. WRONG. After buying it I learned that if the carpets are wet, then the foam under it is likely saturated. Ugh.

So I bit the bullet, took the carpets out (not a bad job really) and vacuumed out about 4 gallons of water!!! I am so glad I did that, I don't see how it would every had dried out. I hung the carpets to let them drip out. I'd guess another gallon or two drained out. I now have them in the house to fully dry before I re-install them.

I also has fixed the drain to hopefully prevent the issue in the future. I took the pillar covers off, and sure enough the drivers side was completely loose. I cut the tube and spliced in about 4 inches of 1/2 inch ID tubing so that the drain tubes now fit about 1/2 inch down into the connector at the dash. The 1/2 in ID tube fits air tight, so now I can clean out the drains by taking out the pillar, separating the tubes at the splice and blowing into the tube, which is what I did to clean out the clogged drains. Tested the fix by running some water down the drains and all seems to work as expected now.

Anyway, not a great first weekend with the car, but I'm happy to have taken care of this issue. I can not believe Volvo didn't recall this and fix it. :nono:

Next up.... try and figure out why the key fob won't open the doors. I already put in a new battery, adjusted the battery connectors to get a good connection, but it still won't work. I knew the fob didn't work when I bought the car, but didn't realize Volvo rips people off for a fob reprogramming until after I got the car. Any advice on the fob would be appreciated. I do plan to run up to the local autoZone and test the fob to make sure it is putting out a signal.

I must say, between the drain and the ransom on replacement fobs, I'm not real impressed with Volvo's customer service.

Long post just to say Hi, but Hi!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome,

The key is paired with the car since it starts? Maybe start looking at keyfob battery, Car Battery, and maybe fuses? Also I had to rebuild my keyfob since the buttons stopped working all the time.

My upper radiator hose was toast when i got mine as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome,

The key is paired with the car since it starts? Maybe start looking at keyfob battery, Car Battery, and maybe fuses? Also I had to rebuild my keyfob since the buttons stopped working all the time.

My upper radiator hose was toast when i got mine as well.
Thanks to both of you for the note on the upper radiator hose, I will check it when I get home.

On the FOB, yes, I'm fairly sure it is an original key and it does start the car. I took it up to AutoZone and confirmed that the FOB is not putting out a signal. I had already replaced the battery so I'm pretty sure that wasn't the issue. I have learned that there is a local locksmith who can program new Volvo keys, so I think I will get a new one and keep the old one as the spare.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
On the FOB, yes, I'm fairly sure it is an original key and it does start the car. I took it up to AutoZone and confirmed that the FOB is not putting out a signal. I had already replaced the battery so I'm pretty sure that wasn't the issue. I have learned that there is a local locksmith who can program new Volvo keys, so I think I will get a new one and keep the old one as the spare.
The "remote" is a completely different system from the "start" function in these keys. Starting the car involves only an RFID chip, which is embedded in the tip of the key (the part that goes into the slot in the dash). The remote buttons send a UHF radio signal which is received by the car and which activates the locks, homesafe, etc. They are programmed entirely separately.

If you already have a brand-new replacement key, and that means you also have the tag with the secret codes, then yes it can be programmed into the car. This involves connection to the Volvo mothership via VIDA, so your local lock guy is pretty well-equipped indeed. It's generally several hundred bux all told. You may find it more useful to simply use the other key for its remote, and leave the bad one as an emergency spare.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The "remote" is a completely different system from the "start" function in these keys. Starting the car involves only an RFID chip, which is embedded in the tip of the key (the part that goes into the slot in the dash). The remote buttons send a UHF radio signal which is received by the car and which activates the locks, homesafe, etc. They are programmed entirely separately.

If you already have a brand-new replacement key, and that means you also have the tag with the secret codes, then yes it can be programmed into the car. This involves connection to the Volvo mothership via VIDA, so your local lock guy is pretty well-equipped indeed. It's generally several hundred bux all told. You may find it more useful to simply use the other key for its remote, and leave the bad one as an emergency spare.
I had not purchased a new one yet. The locksmiths website said if you didn't buy it from him, he would not guarantee it could be programed and you would still have to pay his labor for the attempt.

Just got off the phone and now know, yes, he can do it, but it is still going to be $399! :eek:

Since I was planning on getting a Vida/Dice setup sooner or later, I may just read up on that and go with an Ebay special on a used one and try and program it myself.

Until then I will just have to live with either keeping the car unlocked, or having the stupid alarm go off every time I use the blade to unlock it. :facepalm:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't go the eBay route for a used fob. If you don't have the fob's unique code you won't be able to add the key, whether you use Chinese Vida/Dice or go to the dealer. Those eBay sellers will assure you the fob can be added to the car but it can't. BTW, there's a great thread going right now elsewhere on sweedspeed on this very subject.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't go the eBay route for a used fob. If you don't have the fob's unique code you won't be able to add the key, whether you use Chinese Vida/Dice or go to the dealer. Those eBay sellers will assure you the fob can be added to the car but it can't. BTW, there's a great thread going right now elsewhere on sweedspeed on this very subject.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Thanks, you saved me a few bucks and a bunch of aggravation!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts