SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there guys and gals just thought i'd sign up after finding this forum a while back when I had first purchased the car. I've only had the car about 3 weeks now. And i'm so far very impressed although slightly apprehensive about the maintenance and so on.

Here's a few pics from when I picked it up

Right now i'm just about to do the oil on it. Got some Mobil Super 5w30 (got 2 x 4L so I can fill up the ~5.8L) and a Fram filter. Just not sure of the size of the crush washer so I haven't got that yet. I wanted to put in Synthetic (Castrol?) however i'm not sure about whether it would have any effect on the engines seals, which i've read Synthetic can have a detrimental effect on or cause oil leaks. Any input on that would be greatly appreciated for the next oil change.

The previous owner had put on this stainless exhaust, which is nice. Sounds great but is rattling like hell over bumps and the like. I do speculate whether or not it's bushings or the endlinks (sway bars?) that i've read about. :confused: I also removed the tips because they looked horrid (OBX tips), they stuck out too much. They'd have been fine if they didn't stick out so much. :facepalm:

I'm also wanting to bring it in for the 96,000km service (lots of items to check and replace :eek:) as i've got no access to a garage currently as my other car is stored away for winter otherwise i'd check and complete most of these items things myself (other than the SRI reset, which I've no clue how to do just yet unless it's like other volvos i've seen done on Youtube).

Anyway, hope to be part of this forum as I've been on another forum with my other car (almost 10 years now) which is a Mitsubishi that I love dearly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome! I like your tail pipes (That sounds dirty somehow)
I just bought an R couple months ago too. I love it more and more each time I drive it.
Toronto is awesome, I loved it there...Worse traffic I've ever been in, but it was still very nice! :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Welcome!
Many tips are adjustable and you could potentially make it a bit more flush.
Where in Toronto are you?
There are a bunch of us locally on the forums - I will admit, I'm the LEAST knowledgeable of them, but do know of some fairly good places around town for service.
Cheers!
If you're lucky the rattling is "only" the exhaust - was the rest of the exhaust modified as well?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I would use the FRAM filter for right now (since you already bought it) but do yourself a favor and head over to IPD and order their 10 pk of MANHLE filters for $45 and also a filter wrench (one of the first things I bought) changing the oil in these cars is super easy (compared to my other cars where **** was always in the way of the filter)

the crush washer is Size; M18; Inside Dia: 0.720"/18.30mm; Outside Dia.: 0.937"/23.80mm; Thickness: 0.054"/1.37mm, you should be able to pick up a box of 10 for like .50 cents. Also this is the same crusher size for most on the car IE Transmission drain plug.

Mobil-1 0w30 or Euro Castrol 0w30 are both great synthetic oils to use. They will not harm seals on the engine. A lot of people run synthetic oil on this forum with no problems.

The SRI reset procedure is like most 2000+ Volvo's. I reset mine using a video on youtube and it worked fine.

Look into buy yourself a copycat DICE unit if you plan to keep the car longer then a yr cause in the end it will pay for itself the first/second time you use it.

Rattling could be endlinks, swaybar bushings, strut mounts or a host of other things.

Make sure the EBD is taken off (assuming they took it off already since they have the OBX exhaust on it.)

At that mileage make sure your PCV system has been replaced and also the Timing Belt Kit has been done cause the last thing you won't is that to fail then your looking at a new engine/rebuild.

First thing I would do is a full fluid flush on the car, I failed to do the transmission flush when I first bought my car and now I'm having transmission problems :(

Coolant Flush, Transmission Flush, AOC Fluid, Diff Fluid, Angle Gear Fluid and don't forget the Headlight Fluid ;) that's a joke ofcourse.

Oh yea, And Welcome :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on the caR. Do you have pics of the car without those tips?
Sorry, not yet. It's getting cold here and I just washed it but she needs a wax real bad. I'll see if I can take some pics. The pipe is now recessed by about an inch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Welcome!
Many tips are adjustable and you could potentially make it a bit more flush.
Where in Toronto are you?
There are a bunch of us locally on the forums - I will admit, I'm the LEAST knowledgeable of them, but do know of some fairly good places around town for service.
Cheers!
If you're lucky the rattling is "only" the exhaust - was the rest of the exhaust modified as well?

I'd be closer to the west end. How about yourself?

Also i'd be happy to hear any service places around the GTA you'd recommend because right now i'm skeptical of taking my car to Volvo for anything considering the pricing is a bit nuts. Right now the car is up for the 96,000km service. A lot of that i'm going to try and do myself. But I don't have a hoist so I can't do the under carriage inspection and such.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would use the FRAM filter for right now (since you already bought it) but do yourself a favor and head over to IPD and order their 10 pk of MANHLE filters for $45 and also a filter wrench (one of the first things I bought) changing the oil in these cars is super easy (compared to my other cars where **** was always in the way of the filter)

the crush washer is Size; M18; Inside Dia: 0.720"/18.30mm; Outside Dia.: 0.937"/23.80mm; Thickness: 0.054"/1.37mm, you should be able to pick up a box of 10 for like .50 cents. Also this is the same crusher size for most on the car IE Transmission drain plug.

Mobil-1 0w30 or Euro Castrol 0w30 are both great synthetic oils to use. They will not harm seals on the engine. A lot of people run synthetic oil on this forum with no problems.

The SRI reset procedure is like most 2000+ Volvo's. I reset mine using a video on youtube and it worked fine.

Look into buy yourself a copycat DICE unit if you plan to keep the car longer then a yr cause in the end it will pay for itself the first/second time you use it.

Rattling could be endlinks, swaybar bushings, strut mounts or a host of other things.

Make sure the EBD is taken off (assuming they took it off already since they have the OBX exhaust on it.)

At that mileage make sure your PCV system has been replaced and also the Timing Belt Kit has been done cause the last thing you won't is that to fail then your looking at a new engine/rebuild.

First thing I would do is a full fluid flush on the car, I failed to do the transmission flush when I first bought my car and now I'm having transmission problems :(

Coolant Flush, Transmission Flush, AOC Fluid, Diff Fluid, Angle Gear Fluid and don't forget the Headlight Fluid ;) that's a joke ofcourse.

Oh yea, And Welcome :D
Thanks for the tips man. Yeah i've been over to IPD already and looked at the stuff available for the R. That 10 pack of filters looks like a sweet deal. Basically 4.50/each. The problem is the shipping kills the deal. :(

Thanks also for the heads up on the crush washers. I was curious what the size was because even IPD doesn't specify the size but does have the washer available for 0.25 each which is awesome. Volvo want's something like 1.30/ea.

I've read about the Dice Vida as well. I'm searching around for pricing as the cost seems to vary quite a bit. From 200 or so to 3000.00 for the original Volvo unit. I'm still not entirely sure how the software updates work if you have to pay volvo to use it or if the data is stored and available locally on a laptop once you install it? :confused:

Not sure what EBD is. I'm assuming something to do with the exhaust. I wish I had a hoist so I could do some inspecting of the undercarriage.

I'm curious why you mention the PCV and Timing Belt because the service guide doesn't say anything about replacing it until 168,000km? :confused:

And yeah I'm looking into doing all the fluids other than the transmission fluid considering it is a manual. But i'm still curious about replacing the gear oil. When I spoke with the service department at Volvo they said it didn't need to be changed? :confused: I found that kinda fishy considering it's supposed to be changed on a fairly regular interval including the diff.

Thanks for all the tips though man. And thanks for the welcome! :D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'm curious why you mention the PCV and Timing Belt because the service guide doesn't say anything about replacing it until 168,000km? :confused:
That's because he thought you measured distance properly which would be in miles.

·
Registered
520 Posts
EBD - Exhaust Bracket of Death - look it up ASAP and check under your car to make sure it is removed - don't need a lift or even jack to do it - but being skinny and/or having long arms will help in it's removal if it hasn't been done already. RRRon can attest to the importance of this "mod".

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Welcome! The EBD can cause the exhaust to get pushed into the prop shaft if the caR high centers on something. Said EBD:

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Great to see another Torontonian joining our R contingency!!! ;) Seems like we're starting to build some numbers. We have a great community here and we're trying to organize a bit more meets for the coming months.

As for information, most can be found here in SS, and in our Canadian Regional forums. If you ever need any specific information, let me know, I'm pretty resourceful and I could probably get you to a good start.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Welcome (and its OK you bought an S instead of a V, I guess.)
On service - the manual actually went to 192k km for the timing belt, etc., but I would consider doing it anyway on any caR over 5 years old. There is no transmission service interval, but VoT now recommends them on all Volvos at least by the timing belt change.
On traffic in TO - my last tank of premium was burned at an average 29 km/h, but at least you are sitting in a really nice caR!
On metric vs imperial units - your caR should have a speedometer in km only and you should measure your fluids in liters the way the Swedes and Thor intended! My previous V70 AWD had the gas gauge marked off in liters and it was pretty accurate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:DThanks again for all the replies and tips. I'm still looking into one of the shops a fellow member recommended to me which i'll probably do this coming week. I'll look into the EBD issue as well albeit I can probably see it under my car. I'm not sure it's still there considering the aftermarket exhaust is on the car currently so i'd imagine it was removed. I'll keep you guys posted. And as always i'm looking forward to any meets in the GTA if you guys are planning them, please don't hesitate to let me know!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
There are a few indy shops around town - I used KWL Automotive (owner/tech used to work for VoT) for some service work in the past with both my previous S60 LPT and the R.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts