SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to look at a 1996 Volvo 850 Platinum tomorrow. I know a little bit about Volvos because of my friends and I do have one coming with but I was wondering if there is anything Platinum “specific” I should be looking for. I come from Mustangs (I still own my 66) and fakes are a dime a dozen. I don’t know if this is true in the Volvo world. Not that I don’t trust the guy, but ya know, don’t trust someone you’ve never met. If I do buy it, it’ll be my first entry into the turbo world.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think the only thing that is different about the platinum compared to a normal ‘96 turbo is the paint. You can verify it is a true platinum by the paint code on the plate in the engine bay. I believe it should be 424 (Pearl White Platinum).

Other than that you’d just be checking the typical items for an 850 turbo, many of which are documented on this forum and elsewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I have been reading through the forum. Did the platinums have the rear wing?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have never seen a platinum sedan without one. Wagons I’m not so sure

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
No spoiler (originally) on the wagons.

Cosmetic condition will be more important for long term value. Maintenance history is more important for your cost to bring to Stage 0.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that. It has already had the stage 0 done to it recently. I didn’t even know what that meant I had to look it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the guy cancelled today. Has people looking tomorrow so I may lose out on that one. The search continues

1 - 7 of 7 Posts