SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the car almost a year, and it was time for the first service. This car has never been back to the dealer since I first got it last October, and has had zero issues, but I was getting a "book service appointment" message on the display. My dealer is a 1 1/2 hour drive from my house.

The A/C plug recall was done and the plug was replaced, even though I never saw any problem. Filter and oil change were done at no charge. I did ask about going to synthetic, but was told it was a waste of money for this car and I would see no change in performance or engine durability. The tech said this engine was designed to run with normal oil and synthetic would add nothing but cost.

Interestingly, I also asked about the Sensus update but was told no updates were available for my car. The tech checked the computer while I was there and saw that two updates were performed while the car was at the port, but found nothing else listed. The service department computer showed no updates available for my car, so I left it at that.

My salesman was there and dropped me and my wife off in town for some shopping and lunch. When we were finished, I called and he came and picked us up. The car was ready, had been washed and had the interior vacuumed. All in all, a very pleasant service experience.

(My dealer is Lovering Volvo in Meredith, NH.)

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I was just in for my 15,000 mile service and I upgraded to Full Synthetic on my '12; I don't trust running Dino Oil on 7500 mile service intervals, especially in the stop and go traffic I have in NJ. Every Volvo that leaves Port Newark has Full Synthetic in them, its the dealers that put Dino Oil afterwards for S+S; now they have no choice but to put Synthetic on '13 models. I got the A/C Recall done as well and you should have a SENSUS update. SENSUS 3.0 just came out a few months ago, so I doubt you have it; check "My Car" and see if you have "Trip Statistics" and if you don't have it, then you don't have the newest software update.

I sadly have not gotten my car back since last week due to some suspension noise coming from the front during low speed turning; they have replaced several parts and the noise keeps coming back :-( Volvo Rep is coming today or tomorrow to look at it. *Update* I get my car back tomorrow, they found the source of my noise coming from the front passenger side by replacing the bolts and retorque of all components and the noise has seemed to go away.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I was just in for my 15,000 mile service and I upgraded to Full Synthetic on my '12; I don't trust running Dino Oil on 7500 mile service intervals, especially in the stop and go traffic I have in NJ. Every Volvo that leaves Port Newark has Full Synthetic in them, its the dealers that put Dino Oil afterwards for S+S; now they have no choice but to put Synthetic on '13 models. I got the A/C Recall done as well and you should have a SENSUS update. SENSUS 3.0 just came out a few months ago, so I doubt you have it; check "My Car" and see if you have "Trip Statistics" and if you don't have it, then you don't have the newest software update.

I sadly have not gotten my car back since last week due to some suspension noise coming from the front during low speed turning; they have replaced several parts and the noise keeps coming back :-( Volvo Rep is coming today or tomorrow to look at it.
Just to clarify, are you saying the stock oil in my s60 is synthetic? My build date is 9/2011 and I took delivery 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Just to clarify, are you saying the stock oil in my s60 is synthetic? My build date is 9/2011 and I took delivery 2 weeks ago.
I know all the cars that come out of Port Newark have Synthetic, I can't verify that for other ports.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I know all the cars that come out of Port Newark have Synthetic, I can't verify that for other ports.
Do they take out the oil put in at the factory?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Do they take out the oil put in at the factory?
They do an oil change before the cars leave for the dealers. I've actually witnessed them do this, as I do spend some time here and there and get plenty of work on my car there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Regarding Sensus 3.0, I'm would not be surprised if you did not get it. I have a '12 S60 and just had my first service last week. I specifically and repeatedly asked them to install 3.0. The service writer said that when they plugged my car into the Volvo system that it did not show 3.0 as available based on my VIN. I told them I know for a fact my car can take this upgrade and I wanted it done. They wanted to help me but seemed just baffled. While at the dealer I called Volvo customer care. They said my car was eligible for 3.0 and it should install. After I told my service writer this he said they would try to figure out how to do it. As it was going to take a while we got a loaner. They called back about 4 hours later and said they were able to get 3.0 installed, but it took them four tries. I have no idea why it would be so difficult but apparently it was. For more info on 3.0 look at the Sensus 3.0 thread. Its on page 3 last time I checked. Bottom line is you may have to be very assertive and armed with information to get your dealer to install 3.0.

Also, I paid to upgrade to full synthetic. If I was leasing I would not bother, but I own the car and plan on having it for many years, so the incremental cost is well worth it to me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew Sensus 3.0 was available, but apparently Volvo is not showing it as a software upgrade for the S60 when their dealers access the computer system. I was there watching the tech searching for Sensus 3.0, and he came up with nothing. I even gave him the features of the upgrade, but he came up empty. I have no idea why this upgrade is so difficult to find, but I know other Volvo owners have run into the same thing.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I knew Sensus 3.0 was available, but apparently Volvo is not showing it as a software upgrade for the S60 when their dealers access the computer system. I was there watching the tech searching for Sensus 3.0, and he came up with nothing. I even gave him the features of the upgrade, but he came up empty. I have no idea why this upgrade is so difficult to find, but I know other Volvo owners have run into the same thing.
I had my car updated to 3.0 before taking delivery. It's a 2012. No issues there.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Doesn't sound like you're making the 90 minute trip back anytime soon, but if it's important enough to you to get Sensus 3.0, just tell them your Sirius radio keeps freezing and you'd like a software update check. Many of us (myself included) have had success with that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I ran into this with my 2012 S60 (T6). Mine was an early production (delivery in Sweden 2/11) and the VIN was not indicating the Sensus 3 update. It turned out that other modules had early versions that were preventing the Sensus 3 showing. Once they updated them in the right sequence, the Sensus 3 showed up.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Same problem here with my 2011 T6 at the 15K service (and I had some Sensus patches applied at the 7500 service).
No Sensus 3.0 for me. I'm hoping they have the issue with prerequisite software figured out by the next service
so it just works when they plug it in regardless of the existing version or installed patches.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Regarding Sensus 3.0, I'm would not be surprised if you did not get it. I have a '12 S60 and just had my first service last week. I specifically and repeatedly asked them to install 3.0. The service writer said that when they plugged my car into the Volvo system that it did not show 3.0 as available based on my VIN. I told them I know for a fact my car can take this upgrade and I wanted it done. They wanted to help me but seemed just baffled. While at the dealer I called Volvo customer care. They said my car was eligible for 3.0 and it should install. After I told my service writer this he said they would try to figure out how to do it. As it was going to take a while we got a loaner. They called back about 4 hours later and said they were able to get 3.0 installed, but it took them four tries. I have no idea why it would be so difficult but apparently it was. For more info on 3.0 look at the Sensus 3.0 thread. Its on page 3 last time I checked. Bottom line is you may have to be very assertive and armed with information to get your dealer to install 3.0.

Also, I paid to upgrade to full synthetic. If I was leasing I would not bother, but I own the car and plan on having it for many years, so the incremental cost is well worth it to me.
The advisor runs the VIN through their system and it will tell him/her what the vehicle is eligible for i.e.. recalls, updates. The tech also runs the VIN in his system and it will tell him what software is available If it's not in the system and the recall/update is performed, they get charged for it rather than being paid for it. There was an issue with 3.0 as it said some cars were eligible and some weren't. This was an issue on the manufacturer side. It created a bit of confusion and frustration for staff and customers alike. They should have just done it and dealt with the claim later.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting. I have had my Sirius radio freeze a few times .. where I couldn't change a station. It always clears in a minute or two, but it is annoying when it happens.

I just emailed the service manager about 3.0 and suggested he call Volvo for a clarification. He's a good guy, so I'm sure he'll follow up and get back to me. This might be worth another drive to get it taken care of.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I wasn't having problems but wanted 3.0 anyway. I told my dealer that I wanted the upgrade and would tell him that I was having problems playing music over USB if he needed me to. That's what the service writer had on the form when I showed up.

It could be the computer system only lists the 3.0 install if there is a problem reported.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Same problem here with my 2011 T6 at the 15K service (and I had some Sensus patches applied at the 7500 service).
No Sensus 3.0 for me. I'm hoping they have the issue with prerequisite software figured out by the next service
so it just works when they plug it in regardless of the existing version or installed patches.
"3.0" isn't available for us 2011 owners but there is something almost identical which they will load. For everyone, "Sensus 3.0" won't show up as an available upgrade in the dealer's computer, regardless of your VIN or year of manufacture. 95% of dealers won't have any clue what you're talking about if you ask about 3.0. Just go in and complain about Sirius freezing and ask them to check for software updates.

·
Official VCNA Account
66 Posts
All 2012 and 2013s are delivered with synthetic oil. We have switched to 10,000 mile service intervals for 2013, and because of this, synthetic will be used for all oil changes on these cars. As for 2012s with 7,500 mile service intervals, synthetic is not typically used for oil changes, but it can be requested.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
All 2012 and 2013s are delivered with synthetic oil. We have switched to 10,000 mile service intervals for 2013, and because of this, synthetic will be used for all oil changes on these cars. As for 2012s with 7,500 mile service intervals, synthetic is not typically used for oil changes, but it can be requested.
So a 2012 is shipped with synthetic but S&S only provides semi for the intervals? That seems to be a confusing double standard.

·
Official VCNA Account
66 Posts
So a 2012 is shipped with synthetic but S&S only provides semi for the intervals? That seems to be a confusing double standard.
The required synthetic for 2013s is because of the changed service intervals.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, any suggestions about helping my dealer find the Sensus 3.0 update for my 2012 S60?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts