SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here in Long Island, we have very tight parking spaces for the most part. It is inevitable that some moron will open their door and chip your paint or give your car small scratches. Three weeks into owning my new R-Design, it happened this morning. Looks like a white car did it. The scratch is only about 3mm long and maybe 1mm wide.

I know very little about auto body repair, but I see Volvo has a Paint Pencil kit with paint and clear coat that would match my Osmium Gray. Anyone had experience with this? If so, what is the best method of application?

Thanks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If it has not broken the paint, I would suggest getting a very fine polishing compound and rubbing it. You may be surprised how it will come out. Almost any auto parts place will have some. Just do not get the rubbing compound as it is too abrasive. Get the extra-fine rubbing polish of come kind (Griots and 3M have some great products), buff it, then put a small amount of wax back over the area. If the paint has been broken/knocked off, then a small Volvo touch up paint is in order. Another excellent touch-up paint option is Dr. Colorchip. Google them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Aw man that sucks man. I know what you mean. My new XC90 wasn't a week old and I had to take my car to the dealership becuase the engine light came on and they scratch my back bumper. It was bad, the scratch was Deepa. Luckily, the dealership took car of it. They had to send my car to the body sh to repaint the whole bumper. When it came back, there was a grease spot under the clear coat and the added a new scratch on the rear passenger door. So the had to sand the bumper and repaint it again. As for the new scratch, it wasn't deep and they were able to buff it out. I wish u all the best. If the scratch is not Deepa, take it back to the dealership where you bought it and see if the can fix it. They may do what rogbmw suggest and apply a new clear coat.

I only say this becuase my brother in and I bought our Infiniti's together and in our culture the it is custom to take the car to the temple and have the priest bless it. Well the priest drew this big om symbol on his hood and mine. He left his on and I happened to was mine off. Long story short, the chemical stained the clear coat and he tried to use a compound to remove the stain. He got the wrong kind and essentially removed the clear coat. Luckily for him, the dealership was very nice and fixed his hood for free and applied a new clear coat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I was younger I used to work at a dealership detailing cars and we kept a spray bottle of adhesive remover around and you would be surprised at how well this works to remove paint scratches like this. We were getting one of our cars ready to sell recently and I remembered this old trick and it worked great. Clear coat should be safe and not affected by this method.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Keep us posted what technique/product worked best for you.......pictures?

·
3,899 Posts
So here in Long Island, we have very tight parking spaces for the most part. It is inevitable that some moron will open their door and chip your paint or give your car small scratches. Three weeks into owning my new R-Design, it happened this morning. Looks like a white car did it. The scratch is only about 3mm long and maybe 1mm wide.

I know very little about auto body repair, but I see Volvo has a Paint Pencil kit with paint and clear coat that would match my Osmium Gray. Anyone had experience with this? If so, what is the best method of application?

Thanks.

Got a pic or stop by, I'm in Suffolk. I don't mind helping out a fellow SS'er!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll try to take a pic when I get a chance. I bought Meguiar's Ultimate Polish to use as a polishing compound. It's not very aggressive at all, but I figured I'd start out light and work my way up if needed. I plan to work that in and then use some spray on carnauba wax.

My guess is that this will probably not work. When I run my fingernail perpendicular to the scratch, I can feel some slight resistance but not a lot. I'm thinking it might have penetrated the clear coat, but not sure. It looks like the white paint from the moron's car settled into the scratch a bit. We'll see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't waste your time with the carnauba wax, it won't do anything for the actual scratch. Assuming the scratch hasn't gone through the clear coat, you can have a professional detailer knock the hard edges off with sand paper (always start with the least aggressive to get the job done), and work their way higher. I don't think 1000 grit would help much, but using that as a reference point, you would wet sand just that area, then follow up with a higher grit (1500) and wet sand. Come in with a rubbing compound and coarse foam pad to remove the scratches from the sand paper, then work in a polish with a polishing pad. The scratch would be minimized at this point, or completely gone if it wasn't too deep to begin with. You would use carnauba wax at this point once the work is done, but beware it may dry in the scratch making the scratch more noticeable. The easiest way to think of it is that the scratch is just causing the light to reflect at a sharper angle. If you can level the scratch with the surrounding clear coat, it will be less noticeable.

I've done this on my first Viper, as well as a few friend's cars when they have scratched them up. You definitely want someone experienced helping you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Will be tackling this soon. Here is a pic to give you an idea of the scratch. It looks bigger in the pic, but it is about 3-4mm by 1mm. Very slight indentation when running a fingernail over. I thought I could polish this with light polish and a foam pad. I really don't want to get into sanding. I might screw that up.

Here is a link to the pic https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_jOWQ8w-tkLODFQY3ZRR2dHczA/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
298 Posts
Try polishing it with the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. I bet you will be pleased with what you end up with. Give it a try!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't say with 100% certainty, but that should be easy to remove with polish.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update. I used the Ultimate Polish with a microfiber pad by hand. It's looking a bit better but it needs a lot more work. I've ordered some foam pads which may help in the application. Everything I read tells me the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish is pretty weak compared to 3M Scratch Remover or Griots Machine number 3 or 2. I may have to go to a slightly more aggressive polishing compound if this polish doesn't work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts