SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First scratch - obstacle not detected by sensors

I drove into a very tight bent with a concrete obstacle on the right side (a stupid fountain). I have to do it quite regularly to get to my place. Normally, I rely on the 360 camera plus the sensors. This time I did not bother turning on the camera (which one must do manually) and relied only on the sensors. I went in very smoothly at first, but I must have kept it too tight to the right of the car. When I was redressing the car into the drive I heard an horrible scratch noise. :eek: After arriving at home I found some very minor damage on the body-work around the back right wheel (I will post pictures later). Oddly the scratch was right over the parking sensor. How could it be? Is it worth it discussing this with Volvo or with the insurance company?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Bad bad sensor, go to your room. :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
on my XC60 I've noticed very few instances where the sensors just flat out didn't work, no warning whatsoever. Do you remember hearing any warnings at any point of your movement?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sorry to hear about your incident. I suppose this is the downside to becoming too reliant on the sensors.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Here are the pics:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very sorry to see. I tend to depend on those sensors as well, I'll have to be a little more careful.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I drove into a very tight bent with a concrete obstacle on the right side (a stupid fountain). I have to do it quite regularly to get to my place. Normally, I rely on the 360 camera plus the sensors. This time I did not bother turning on the camera (which one must do manually) and relied only on the sensors. I went in very smoothly at first, but I must have kept it too tight to the right of the car. When I was redressing the car into the drive I heard an horrible scratch noise. :eek: After arriving at home I found some very minor damage on the body-work around the back right wheel (I will post pictures later). Oddly the scratch was right over the parking sensor. How could it be? Is it worth it discussing this with Volvo or with the insurance company?
I experienced the exact same scenario, with scratches in the same locations......but moving on...... I am now contemplating the REPAIR: I'm seeing that the wheel arch trim is removable and could be sanded and pained as one unit, however, the bumper portion.... what are your thoughts about "blending" the paint and clear coat?
Refinishing the entire bumper is a risky affair.....there is a risk of paint peeling and separating over time.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wait, so the 360 camera view has to be switched on manually? It doesn't come on automatically when the car shifted into reverse?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Wait, so the 360 camera view has to be switched on manually? It doesn't come on automatically when the car shifted into reverse?
You can choose - either reverse only or 360 if the option is present.
OP was moving forward, not in reverse.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Front and side park assist sensors are only active at speeds below 6 mph or 10 km/h. What was your speed?
Good info, makes sense and could be the case here. Still, never liked relying on sensors as I prefer the camera hands down. There is a reason backup camera is mandatory in N/A now vs sensors. Study did found it was more reliable than sensors when backing up.

You can choose - either reverse only or 360 if the option is present.
OP was moving forward, not in reverse.
Perhaps a future upgrade to add an option of having the 360 camera popup not only with reverse but when going below 10 km/h also.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good info, makes sense and could be the case here. Still, never liked relying on sensors as I prefer the camera hands down. There is a reason backup camera is mandatory in N/A now vs sensors. Study did found it was more reliable than sensors when backing up.

Perhaps a future upgrade to add an option of having the 360 camera popup not only with reverse but when going below 10 km/h also.
That would be soooooo annoying in go slow traffic in town

·
Registered
826 Posts
Really? It would give something to do and be safer than anything else people are doing in traffic. :) Plus its would just be one of the options, not mandatory.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Are you certain you cannot request the camera view when going at about 10km/hr.. I certainly can do so in my BMW x5 and I am glad it does not default to that view

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you turn on camera when you set off it will keep coming on automatically whenever you slow down to crawl speed. One swipe and two clicks (first one puts front camera on and second to switch to 360) after you start. Unfortunately Sensus doesn't start instantly so it's a bit fiddly if you are in a hurry. Wish there was an option to auto start 360. Wish 360 drew the car in my colour and wish it didn't waste screen drawing sensor map. Must be aware of 360 limitations- read the manual and then test those limitations. Don't want to find out the hard way.
360 gives way more confidence than sensors or reverse cam. I go through places I would never have dared before in a much smaller car. Sensors are laggy and imprecise as in they full beep when still tons of room and clearly don't beep sometimes. I've gone through gaps with inches to spare with 360. Sensors are just an extra safety in case you overlooked smth.

I had exactly the same damage but from someone not quite fitting alongside me in supermarket car park. They had massive scratches across three panels I had to just rub their paint off my bumper and wheel arch. Left with 2inch scratch which was touched up - otherwise you see no sign of damage - none. I credit opticoat pro. Granted it will probably lose a battle against solid concrete posts. Only beats other cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why do modern vehicles with backup sensors allow one to continue to back into an object when the sensors are at full warning?

Is there EVER an occasion when physically backing into an object is desired? (Maybe to connect to a tow hitch, but that's gotta be it).

Why not have the vehicle auto stop. If one wants to continue, you have to press an override button. Makes sense, no?

I had heard that the new Range Rover Land Rover has this feature but I cannot confirm.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Exactly - in the same way Volvo makes an emergency stop when someone jumps in front of it in the city, it should do exactly the same when one is about to hit some obstacle when reversing, parking etc. It absolutely does not make sense to let the driver continue with the move to crash into the object !

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have hedges overhang in my drive. When I reverse I want to go all the way against the hedge. It beeps like crazy. If it auto stops I can't turn my car with 3pt turn, need 5. In very tight spaces sensors would not let you progress as they go continuous about a foot away. With 360 I can pass inches away. That "feature" would make it a very big car indeed. No thanks.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Why do modern vehicles with backup sensors allow one to continue to back into an object when the sensors are at full warning?

Better question yet, why would a thinking human keep backing up the car when the sensor are at full warning? The computer is there to help the human to make decisions, not to taking decision making away from the human (at least not yet).

Sometimes, I think all these cameras, sensors, blind spot lights makes the human a worst driver instead of a better one. The driver is less aware of what's around him, doesn't turn their head to check for blind spots, doesn't look back of the car when backing up, and their basic driving technique is no longer used regularly. What happens when the human get used to it and then have to drive a regular car or when camera/sensor fail?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts