SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My son just got a 2006 S60R, I drive a 1996 850R. We would love to get some maintenance thoughts from you guys. Also does anybody know anything about what type of transmission/ transaxle these cars have?

Thanks!

Sean

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Hello,

My son just got a 2006 S60R, I drive a 1996 850R. We would love to get some maintenance thoughts from you guys. Also does anybody know anything about what type of transmission/ transaxle these cars have?

Thanks!

Sean
thoughts?

money....lots and lots of money.

and it would either be a M66 with a slave known to fail, or a TF-80SC with a valve body known to fail.

Good luck!

·
Registered
709 Posts
If he has an automatic transmission, it's an Aisin AWF21 which is a 6spd. This is the more preferable of the two auto transmissions offered for S60Rs (AW55 offered for the 04-05 auto Rs). If it's a manual, it's a Getrag M66.

The AWD system uses an angle gear and collar sleeve for the rear drive.

Check this thread out. One of our members put together a pretty great excel maintenance log sheet.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?224368-100k-Maintenance-Template

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If he has an automatic transmission, it's an Aisin AWF21 which is a 6spd. This is the more preferable of the two auto transmissions offered for S60Rs (AW55 offered for the 04-05 auto Rs). If it's a manual, it's a Getrag M66.

The AWD system uses an angle gear and collar sleeve for the rear drive.

Check this thread out. One of our members put together a pretty great excel maintenance log sheet.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?224368-100k-Maintenance-Template
Beat me to my own post haha.

Note 4c replacement and a few other items that were replaced prior to purchase are not in there... I should update the file to say that!

·
2,505 Posts
I would do a stage 0! Here is a list of stage 0 items. Also tell him not to launch it, he will fry the collar in the rear diff which will kill his AWD and require tons more $$$ and time to fix.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hello,

Thanks!

Sean
More info on the car would help us let you know what to watch out for.

Manual specific fails: slave cylinder which usually takes the flywheel and the clutch plates along with it due to the brake fluid soaking them and rendering them useless.

Auto specific: valve body, but that was mostly in the 04-05s with the 5spd.

Auto and Manual: 4c struts are pricey. You can get lucky and find them at around $250 each on rock auto. The angle gear collar sleeve is a "when" not "if" fail. The splines strip on it and you lose AWD. The fail of the whole angle gear assembly is pretty rare, but it does happen. That's an 1500-2k repair. The angle gear seals can leak, thus needing reseals.

The 06-07 Rs used plastic OTE pipe as well. That can crack at the front bolt, resulting in loss of boost pressure.

There's numerous electric issues that you can encounter some are very easy to fix, some require time and money. Something like the DEM can usually be rebuilt, but you have to remove it and ship it out.

However, when the car works, it's great! :)

Pretty much the saying "if you can afford two, you can maintain one" applies. Especially since you can pick one up for well under 10k now. But you'll be spending european luxury sedan money to repair it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is an automatic.

We will be starting on the the stage 1 next weekend, He is in the Air Force so I will only be able to see it when he's home... lol

Any fluid recommendations? Spark plugs? Stock air filter Ok? or go with K&N?

Thanks for the responses!

Sean

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also what should I look for on the AWD system... I would like to upgrade stuff if possible before stuff starts going!

Thanks!

·
2,505 Posts
Do not powerflush the trans, just bring it to the dealer in your case. Do stock pregapped plugs. K&N filter a definite but never reoil it. In the tranny, there is nothing you can upgrade unless you weld the collar but most dont. Just replace the collar and oil on the Haldex diff and you are good. Here is a pic explaining the AWD a little better.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The car is an automatic.

We will be starting on the the stage 1 next weekend, He is in the Air Force so I will only be able to see it when he's home... lol

Thanks for the responses!

Sean
Stay stock K&N will kill your MAF

There is no difference with K&N and stock in airflow at all just so you know. If you want to hear the turbo get a nice DP :)

·
3,831 Posts
Stay stock K&N will kill your MAF

There is no difference with K&N and stock in airflow at all just so you know. If you want to hear the turbo get a nice DP :)
No and Yes, A stock factory K&N will not destroy your MAF. An oiled K&N will, personally I've had K&N in all my cars and never had a problem, that said I clean the filters regularly and don't oil them. I've never had a problem, just clean them and your fine. Use APC on a cloth and wipe it off, then blow out the deep slats with a leaf blower or if you can compressed air. This works wonders.

·
3,831 Posts
The car is an automatic.

Sean
I have the same, TF80SC is your trans aka 6 speed GT.

Fluids...
Oil 0w-30 or 0W-40 Castrol european
Coolant flush - Any
Transmission fluid drain an fill - Research it. You will need around 12 quarts of mobile 3309

Air
Stock Air filter or K&N
Turbo Inlet pipe - Snabb. Very good gains for little money.
Silicon couplers for the intercooler piping - Stock dry rot

Other
Plugs
Coils packs if your over 85K
If you have over 70k miles definitely do the upper PCV pipe.

Brakes,
Akebono ceramic pads
Centric High Carbon Blanks

Extras
AOC Fluid
Diff Fluid
Rear upper strut bar - Takes away a good amount of rear flex and stops squeaks.
Front Lower Brace - Really knocks the pot hole twitch away.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok... I am a bit confused. How do I tell, serial numbers, if it's a Aisin AWF21 or a TF80SC trans. I don't want to use the wrong fluid and mess anything up.

What is the rear diff fluid?

Thanks!

·
Registered
356 Posts
If its 2006 you have the TF80SC use everything that The Driver said you should be fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have read thru quite a few of the stickys... there is too much info there.

Asking the questions you need answers too saves time... and is a great way to connect with folks who like to share info.

·
3,831 Posts

Asking the questions you need answers too saves time... and is a great way to connect with folks who like to share info.
Feel free to PM me if you need help. I've done all the basics on my 06 GT. I bought mine with 53K and have 83 now, done almost everything myself.

·
Registered
383 Posts

That's the biggest reason I joined. I lurked for over a year and finally got fed up with "look it up" and "search!" type comments. Like I said in my first post, this is an online forum, not a library. You don't come here to go through indexes and find info. If that was the case, pretty much no new threads should be made.

It's a place where you can talk to people online. Imagine if you went to a car show and you asked a question and all they said is "go look it up, there's a thread somewhere". It's really stupid to say that to someone.

This is all in the stickys at the top of the R forum that all new members should read through because there is tons of extremely helpful write ups written by members, and it also helps to eliminate threads like this one.
Look at all the threads that you've started that you could have LOOKED UP. Things like the cost of a new key, drain and fill vs flush, etc... How would you feel if all you were told was to look it up?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys! Does anybody know of a good trans drain/ flush and fill video for the auto trans? With my 850R we have Robert DIY... the guy is amazing for how to video's for the 850's!

The trans seems like a good place to start.

Are the Haldex unit and the rear diff 2 separate inits?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Why does everyone feel like within the first 5 minutes of ownership they have to replace every fluid, replace all the parts that could wear out, and spend 1k+ before getting it on the road. Man just do some fluid samples and figure out what needs replacement. Check spark plug gaps and wire brush them and check for any wear/tear on the coils. Replace as they look like they might go. Spark plugs are pretty easy to read on life left, coils too.

I do preventative maintenance on schedule or by recommendation (timing belt for example I did early) but holy heck some ppl love just going NUTS with their new cars and "Stage 0"... I just don't get it I guess... I sampled by tranny fluid and it was a bit darker than OEM but no coffee or anything like that, my AOC and other fluids that are "lifetime" are working perfectly and look plenty clean, clutch fluid was clear, brake/power steering I top off but they are never replacement items IMO unless failure or SS brake lines necessitate. Coolant is next on my list cause it's looking a slight bit off OEM color. Stage 0 doesn't mean replace, it means INSPECT. Lots of money spent needlessly IMO. Also I recommend take your first $$$ and get VIDA. I need to take my own advice on that but I am saving!

I guess just replace/fix with some intelligence, dont just blindly rebuild the car for no reason. Save that money for later potential issues like tires or something.

·
2,505 Posts
Another tip, NEVER EVER order anything from Tasca parts!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts